Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Man i hate pre employment weld tests.
- - By jesusno2 (*) Date 03-22-2008 02:28
anyone else just get nervous as hell?? I'm a pretty competent welder been doing it for a while now. but when i have to take a weld test when searching for a new job i just get nervous and almost forget everthing i know. welding machines are all so different i have to ask a zillion questions. I always feel like the biggest idiot. anyone else get those jitters?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-22-2008 06:36
Hello jesusno2, you're not alone! I get that way and I have been at it for quite some time now. I also believe that if most of the folks out there are honest about the question they will also agree with you. How to deal with it? That's going to vary for everyone, in general I try to get myself into the mindset that I have done this a "million" times and this time is no different. I also try to make sure that if I know I am going to test that I get a really good nights sleep and when I get up in the morning I make sure to have a good breakfast, I also watch out for how much coffee I drink or make sure that I don't drink any energy drinks or anything else that will work as a stimulant. Do a pre-check of your equipment, in other words have all of your gear ready to go, this would include making sure that the lens in your hood are clean and clear and ready to go. If you are using an electronic hood be sure that the batteries are good. As far as welding machines go, that's a tough one, you are right when you say that there are a bunch of them out there and it isn't simply that easy to know how all of them work. If you don't know the particular machine that they are going to be testing you on be right upfront and say so, I believe in most instances this will break the ice and they will be more than willing to answer questions for you. Also if possible, ask for some scrap to be able to work with the machine a bit to ensure you are comfortable with the settings, the only exception to this may be in instances where they are actually testing you for certification and in these instances you may have to go with the preset settings. Even if this is the case you should try to use some scrap and get a feel for how the machine welds. Don't hesitate to ask questions, you might be pleasantly surprised at the reaction. A person who asks before they just forge ahead and make a mistake is often looked upon as an asset, they will be taking all of this interaction into consideration a lot of the time. Just a few thoughts for consideration, so good luck and best regards, aevald 
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-22-2008 06:37
only been outta school about 9 or 10 months now been tiging stainless pipe and the first test I ever took was for the company I'm at now and I must say I was totally calm. I recently took another test to try and go work somewhere else and I was totally calm for that test to I didn't get the job because I failed the test but I must say I was very relaxed. I just feel like I go in there do the best I can and thats it thats all I can do wheather I pass it or fail. I get more nervous when I have to actually talk to the people but the welding I'm really relaxed about it. I know it's werid I have heard so many guys getting all worked up before a test but yeah not me.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 03-22-2008 10:35
wait til your mortage is riding on your nextjob then youll be nervous
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 03-22-2008 13:08
I know what you're saying. I'm a CWI, but I still weld. Try having everyone in the shop know that you're a CWI, and then have to certify. Talk about pressure!
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-22-2008 14:15
I couldn't eat or sleep for two days before I took my branch test. First one I ever did. I passed but I must have been awful to live with for those days prior to the test. Aevald is right though; practice until you are comfortable and it becomes a matter of going through the motions. I also clean my welding lenses, glasses and in general got everything ready so I wouldn't have to fool with it on test day. I only had 8 hrs to do a 12" butt and a 12" on 12" branch so I had to be prepared!

GH Weidman
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-22-2008 15:44
Like everything in life, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Remember how nervous you were on your first date?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-22-2008 18:57
that is true Jesco but still I really don't feel nervous when I do it
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-22-2008 19:08
That's the way it's always been. I get nervous every time I test. It's dumb because I do this for a living, but it is what it is.

Stumbling around, dropping your tools, trying to look cool, and saying to yourself, "geez man, calm down! You've done this a thousand times, what's the big deal????" For some silly reason it's different when someone is scrutinizing.

'Spose it's instinctual to feel the pressure...........
Parent - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 03-22-2008 22:31
for alot of us a job test can potentially be a $100'000 test, if ya blow it there goes yer seat for the winter, I try to relax but be very vigilant about everything, if ya have to re-run then do it, don't have any faint hope that the x-ray hand will let something slide, I've seen too many guys trying to argue over defects with an x-ray tech.  I've also failed tests as well (never with my rig) but stressful none the less, especially if a fella's out of practice with a certain procedure, i.e uphand roots. lol
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-23-2008 17:55
I never had a problem with it because I always welded the same way in production welds as test welds. Provided with the code,wps, safety procedures, and other applicable requirements this should not differ from test to production. This eliminated any possible worries about who is watching and who is not, or is it right, or is it wrong.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Man i hate pre employment weld tests.