Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 22 Ga. Inconel & SS
- - By kwzskydive Date 05-29-2001 19:16
[deleted]
Parent - By jd369 (**) Date 06-01-2001 12:32
These two materials can be welded the same way. The inconel may need slightly more amperage. Shielding and backing gas will be argon. The shielding gas should be set to 15-20 cfh, the backing gas will be 3-5 cfh. You can use 2% thoriated tungsten, 1/16 or 3/32 in diameter. I would be more comfortable with the 1/16 diameter for the thin materials. Grind it with a long taper,if you are worried about tungsten inclusions then blunt the end. Just enough to remove the sharp point. You can expect to use an amperage range of 30-35 amps to weld this thickness, that is for a square groove weld. Your polarity will be DCEN. You will not need the voltage unless you are planning to weld this on an automated system. If that were the case than I would use a pulsing amperage of 40 over 20 with equall time on the high and low sides with 3pps. The voltage would be 8.0-8.5 with a wire feed rate of 6 ipm and a travel speed of 6 ipm. That would be a good starting point, you will than need to fine tune the program.
Fixturing will help, try to use copper hold downs and backing. If you e-mail me what you are doing I can give you a hand with some fixturing.
Good Luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 22 Ga. Inconel & SS