Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Bobcat 225 Question
- - By jap901 Date 03-25-2008 14:45
Hello, I have a friend with a miller bobcat 225 and it has 2 240 volt outputs & we was woundering if it would run a 220 volt mig welder oris a suitcase wire feeder the only option?

thanks Jim
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-25-2008 15:20
You can operate a MIG welder from the 240 volt receptacle. Turn the Bobcat's welding fine current adjustment up all the way and use just the MIG welder. Use the MIG welders that have mechanical controls. ie step transformers or use the inverter designs.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-25-2008 15:45
Hello Jim, it is very likely that you would have enough power to operate a 220V mig welder with this particular welder/generator. Depending on the particuar mig welder that you are trying to operate off of this machine, the upper amp draw of many of the 250 amp migs is around 45 to 50 amps @ max welding output, this should be within the range of the output of the bobcat. One suggestion here though, set your bobcat to high idle when you are using this combination, you will avoid all sorts of headaches with weld performance from the mig and likely avoid causing damage to it from too low of a supply voltage upon start-up. Best thing to do is consider the amp draw of the mig and compare it to the output of the bobcat generator, even if it turned out that the draw from the mig was slightly more than the output capable from the bobcat it would still probably work because unless you are maxed out on the output of the mig you won't see the max amp draw from the mig. If my memory serves me correctly the bobcats can provide around 45 to 50 amps of 220V power if they aren't welding.
     Wattage divided by voltage = amperage, so look for the wattage output on your friends particular bobcat and use this formula to determine the amperage that it will supply. Then compare this with the draw from the particular mig welder that you plan on running with it. There are a few other factors with this formula and how it applies, but it should get you in the ballpark. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By warmka weld (*) Date 03-26-2008 00:26
We tried running a 220v wire feeder off of a commercial genset probly 50kw and had nothing but problems. Any little surge at all in genset rpms would cause wire to sputter. Is this a common problem when using gensets or just us? thanks
Parent - - By jap901 Date 03-26-2008 01:36
Hello and thank you for the info. his Wattage is 8000 and above the 240 plug it says 15 amps.

Wattage divided by voltage = amperage would that be 8000 / 220 = 36 amps ?

As for the mig welder he don't have one yet he was thinking of getting a suitcase wirefeeder but he thought if his miller bobcat 225 would run a 220v mig welder he could have it for his shop and use it on his truck if wanted to.

thanks Jim
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-26-2008 03:15
Does this Bobcat have a "Full KVA Recepticle" that is a bigger round recepticle, usually the 50 amp 4 prong type? If not it is probably available as a retrofit option. You could use any bigger recepticle, but it would be nice to have the instructions.

The 230 volt recepticles You described are what the 170-180 size MIG machines use.
Parent - - By jap901 Date 03-26-2008 14:56
So a LINCOLN PRO MIG 180, MILLER MILLERMATIC 180, or Hobart Handler 187 Should do just fine on the 240 volt recepticle?

I will have to check about the KVA recepticle.

Thanks
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-27-2008 02:51
   I don't know how the machine will perform, I was just suggesting that those machines will plug into it without having to change the recepticle.
   If You buy from a full service local shop, You might be able to try one out to be sure it works OK. Otherwise You could try to rent one for a day and see how it works.
Parent - By gawelder (**) Date 03-26-2008 04:18
I have ran my Millermatic 250 off the 220 output of my Bobcat 225. I had my spoolgun hooked to the Millermatic to repair some 6" aluminum irrigation pipe. I ran my Miller S-32P Suitcase wire feeder off the electrode quick connector on the Bobcat with no problems. I have a Miller Bobcat 250 now and I still use my Suitcase wirefeeder on it alot as long as the wind isn't blowing the gas away from the nozzle.

Gawelder
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Bobcat 225 Question