Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Mig Welding?
- - By lilseth0014 Date 03-25-2008 22:04
What are some of the best ways to set a mig welder. Should i start with the heat then wire speed. Or vise-versa. What should it sound like or look like. Things like that?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 03-25-2008 22:24
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-26-2008 03:59
   If there is a chart on the machine, use that for a start point. There is a lot of info at WeldReality.com, Ed Craig's website. I suggest You read that as well as any manufacturers website pages aplicable to Your machine. I expect to buy His Manual MIG & Flux Core book in the near future.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-26-2008 13:48
The electrode mfg has good info in their recommended parameters. I usually take that info find the middle and start there.

Lots of spatter: turn up the voltage or turn  down the wire feed speed.......Burns back into the tip: turn down the voltage or add wire feed speed.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-26-2008 15:30
Once you get some experience under your belt you will be able to look at a part and be able to ruffly determine the amount of voltage you will need to weld it.  Once your voltage is determined then find the right amount of wire to feed into the voltage setting.  The sound depends on what mode of transfer you are wanting to run with.  They all look and sound different.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-26-2008 16:13
I would start with the adjustable inductance control at zero (if machine has it). Start with the voltage at 17-19 (which can be measured with a voltmeter (handheld or meters on machine)). Voltage controls the arc length and the height and width of the weld deposit. Than I would adjust the wire feed speed which determines the amperage (can be measured with meters on machine or hand held tong meter) which determines the penetration. I would then increase the voltage or decrease to get the arc length for the desired metal transfer mode. Remember, weld procedures call out amps (wire feed speed may be referenced), volts and travel speed of the arc. These can be measured and recorded. Sounds like -  cannot be measured.
Set the adjustable inductance control to fine tune the short circuit metal transfer arc and weld deposit. Spray transfer, adjust this control to prevent burn back to the contact tube.
Parent - By monsoon12 (**) Date 04-02-2008 00:19
Get yourself a MILLERMATIC CALCULATOR from your welding supplier.They cost about 10 bucks ,has everything you need for setting your gun an machine an gas.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Mig Welding?