Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe coupons
- - By elliott (**) Date 03-25-2008 23:27
Hows it going everybody, hope everybody had a good easter.I was just wondering if anybody might know where to get some pipe coupons to practice on. all the place that I have found you need to buy 50 or more pieces and they where about 16.00 a piece.
    thanks for any help,
       elliott
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 03-25-2008 23:53
Why not make your own? It will be more cost effective and you'll gain experience prepping your material as well as welding it.
Parent - - By elliott (**) Date 03-26-2008 00:02
I had thought about that all i got to cut the pipe with is a chop saw and that only does up to 4-5" and would like to play with something bigger.thanks for the suggestion.And if I end up doing it myself what is the bevel angle usually 37.5 degrees or is it the same as plate bevel. Thanks again
  elliott
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 03-26-2008 00:52
Try a steel supply house. See if they have a scrap pile and locate a peice of 6" sch 40 and have them cut it up for u. then bevel the pipe as u go with a grinder its good practice .I just went threw this same thing practicing for a test
Parent - - By patg (**) Date 03-26-2008 00:52
look on ebay or something simalar & try to find a used 6'' to 8'' beveling machine.
for the price of thoose 50 coupons you should be able to get a beveling machine and some pipe
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 03-26-2008 01:22
Just buy a cheap set torches used and a 4-1/2" grinder. You should be able to cut your own bevel if you plan on making a go at it in the field. Beveling machines are great, but it is sort of like anything else you should be able to do it manually before relying on machines to do it for you otherwise they will end up always being a handicap. Usually if you watch around jobs sites the scrap gets dumped a lot. I don't know how many feet of pipe has been tossed to the side after jobs never to be looked at again.  The paper and Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.com) is a good place to toss up a want ad and see if a contractor is looking to unload some excess stock. It is not unheard of for companies to they sell off their overhead in leftovers from old jobs once and awhile, Cianbro recently did it up north. Thing with buying coupons is you will have one or two beveled sides then you will weld onto the factory bevel then what toss them? of course not what a waste of material! You will cut away the weld put a new bevel on the pipe and weld until there isn't enough parent metal left to do that with. Usually buying coupons is done when there is testing involved and the coupons have to meet a certain spec. A lot of places you buy coupons from are throwing a Wachs machine (http://www.wachsco.com), lathe or whatever on there to bevel it, not always a torch cut bevel. The machining results in a better and more consistent testing piece but with a higher cost incurred. Good luck on the search!
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-27-2008 00:40
rent a pipe beveler for the day and cut all the pipe you want, then complete your prep after you return the beveler.  37.5 sounds good for sch 80.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 03-26-2008 02:32
where you located?im in dallas tx.if your close i will cut you some.if you bring me the pipe.i can cut up to 8in
Parent - By elliott (**) Date 03-26-2008 22:22
Thanks guys for the info. Not realy close to texas live in mass but thanks for the offer.
   thanks again guys,
     elliott
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 03-27-2008 12:32
Check with Triangle Engineering in Mass if you want to purchase some. Not cheap, but excellent product.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe coupons