Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ok fella's honest opinion here
- - By jesusno2 (*) Date 03-26-2008 03:01
Ok I live in oregon here and the community college in salem is getting ready to start up i've been welding for about 7 years now mig and tig(mainly for self employment making motorcycle parts) i got about 10 months of solid flux core under my belt. Is it gonna be worth it to pay for some certifications through the school or find a employer that will cert me for certain jobs i'd really like to get into pipe certs and stuff and learn some of that stuff. someday so i can make more than 10 bucks an hour in these mom&pop shops around here.
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 03-26-2008 05:52
HI you doing "welder", Hei if you can got the cert's from the college that way the cert's will be your's and you can go any were with "your" cert's not the company's cert's. the other way when you lef the company how certified you the cert's stay there. Some companys are easy on you went they know you have your cert's. Is money in mom&pap shops just you have to have your cert's, and time to look aroun, just a comment. any thing I can help you I'm on Los Angeles, Socali.
Parent - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 03-26-2008 07:45
It has been my experience that you'll never make much money working at mom & pop welding shops. Been there  & done that, and whether you go out and get your cert or work for someone else who demands you be certified...........where is it that you want to work? Construction pays the most especially if you have your own rig and everyone is always looking for pipe welders. So, learn to stick weld carbon steel pipe (6010 root, Bal. 7018) and TIG weld ss pipe and you can work anywhere in the US of A. You'll make twice that 10/hour and then some, but you'll have to travel abit. You'll always be working, imo.
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 03-26-2008 12:00
Generally, "certification" from any outside source, is only a tool to get you in the door. It is too lengthy to present here, but all should read Article III, QW-300 of ASME Section IX to get a good understanding of the requirements for qualification of welders or welding operators.  In short, each manufacturer or contractor is responsible for conducting tests to qualify the performance of welders and welding operators, in accordance with a qualified WPS being used in work done in accordance with the ASME Code.  All fabrication Codes have requirements similar to those outlined in Section IX.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-26-2008 12:01
Community college would be the cheapest route to your goal.  The hands on welding schools would charge thousands as opposed to the CC charging a few hundred.  At the CC you would need to check to be sure they have a cert test in the course.  Otherwise, you would have to pay for materials on your own and have a test lab do the cert for you.
Parent - - By magodley (**) Date 03-26-2008 12:13
Is there a Pipefitters union or other building trades union near you?  If so look into apprenticeship. Best of pay and learn while you earn.
Andy
Parent - - By jesusno2 (*) Date 03-26-2008 18:15
well i did a search for pipefitters in oregon and did not come up with much but i don't really know what i'm looking for. frankly i can't find much of anything in oregon i'm trying to stay somewhat local for jobs but it's getting very difficult with the price of gas here and have to travel an hour 1 way for 10 bucks an hour i wanna do something different but i don't think i'll get very far without some sorta certs. welding pipe looks like it pays well and i see on this sight, that is the main topic most of the time. been thinking of moving to washington st, they seem to have more unions and pipe fitting and job's avaliable. owining my own rig would be cool Unfortunetley i see alot for sale quite often so i dunno if the market is very good here for that. The college here will certify you once you have passed all the basic exams they have a pipefitters class and a structual class and i belive a tig class
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-26-2008 18:52
try harder mec. in vancouver, OIW in clackamas, tic in tualitan, temp control mech. in portland, n.w natural in portland, n.w. pipeline, accurate welding in vancouver, most pipe jobs in our area are natural gas, or computer chip plants. the union is located in tualitan, i believe. If those don't work pm me and i'll see what others i can remember.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-26-2008 20:13
My honest opinion would be that you should go and get those cert's or TQ's from the community college if in fact welding is the trade you wish to follow. The reason you are currently working for $10.00 an hour is because there are thousands of guy's that want to be welder's that fiqure they don't need cert's or tickets in your area which in fact brings your wages down and allows those mom & pop operations to tell you what your worth instead of the other way around. I can't speak for everybody but I don't know any ticketed welders that will even get out of bed for that kind of money. As an example as a registered first year apprentice my starting wage was $14.00 hr. At the risk of ageing myself that was in the late 70's. So is it worth going to school to hold  your own ticket? I'd have to say well ya , even if it is just for the satisfaction of setting yourself apart from the thousands of other half baked amatures out there. Of course that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions- their just like A#$ Holes everyone has one.
Parent - By msanchez Date 03-26-2008 20:32 Edited 03-26-2008 21:21
Jesusno2 here's a pipiefitters union website in OR. http://www.ua290.org/
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-26-2008 21:01
I have been a welder for 20+ years. In my opinion the training and skill you get from the school is worth 100 times more than a "CERT". I have never provided a copy of a welding certification to a potential employer other than when I went in the boilermakers. They used these to verify I had experience as a welder. I still had to test.

Most jobs that pay any are going to test you anyway. Show up with the skill>Get the job.

If I were on a pipe or boiler job and a 18 year old kid showed up, fitup his test, welded it up, and it passed. He's hired.

I have had guys bring out stacks of "Certification Cards" from various sources. I still have to test them.

Gerald Austin
http://weldingdata.com/
Parent - - By jesusno2 (*) Date 03-26-2008 21:15
Testing is what i need my resume is kinda weird basically i've been self employed building japanese motorcycle chasiss for on and off for about 7 years i've only actually worked for a "fab shop" for about a little less than a year now but they do not do any pipe stuff at all exept 1" sch 40 stainless for spray boom stuff (which i did all the tig stuff on those) or any stick welding at all so i'm still basically self taught and it's pretty hard to convince a employer to give me a test and my blue print reading needs some help as i have never really had to do it much accept simple drawings i made myself and a little auto cad stuff. breaking into the trade is tough work. I have a oppointment monday to talk with a person about taking some classes.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-26-2008 21:44
I would suggest taking the training. You may progress quickly with core hand eye coordination already in your posession. Dont overlook self study. There are some good books that address some of the points of pipe welding.
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 03-27-2008 12:32
Considering you live in Oregon, you might want to check out the Apprenticeship program at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) in Bremerton, Washington.  Here is the web address:  http://www.psns.navy.mil/apprenticeprogram.htm.

Apprentices start at 11.95/hr and by the end of the 1st year are at 16.12/hr.  At the end of the program (4 years) you are at 20.72/hr.  These are in todays figures.  By the time you would graduate, the journeyman rate would have increased to something more than the 20.72/hr.  This is the best program available in Industry.  This may start a discussion on its own, but only the Government recognizes welding as a trade.  All others consider it a "tool of a trade".  By that I mean pipe fitters don't weld structural, and vice versa.  The welding apprenticeship trains you in all phases of welding and you get qualifications in all processes, including oxy-fuel cutting and arc gouging.

I went through the program in the late 60's and early 70's and then went on to get my degree in Welding Engineering.  It was the greatest thing I ever did.  I love it when I make a suggestion and the welder hands me the stinger/torch and says "show me".

Anyway, enough of looking in the rear view mirror.  The wages are decent, "book learning" is part of the program and you will get to weld on everything from cast iron sewer pipe with oxy-fuel to nuclear piping with GTAW.  Check out the website.  You can make more money in welding, but the conditions are as good as you can get and the benefits (including the vacation/sick leave programs) are the best available.  I think you start with 13 days each right off the bat.
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 03-27-2008 16:22
Everbody seems to be giving good advice but.......

"certification" from a school typically doesn't hold much value with an employer.  The education itself is where the value lies.  Any reputable company who is willing to pay a decent weld will require you to test for them even if you show up with your qualification papers in hand.  In fact i would say if you showed up waving your qualification papers it could be taken as a sign of inexperience.  Instead, tell prospective employers that you went to such and such school for welding and lean heavily on the experience you already have.  If they ask for qualification paperwork have it ready but don't volunteer it unless it seems the right thing to do.

As someone who hires welders I look for several things.

1. Did the welder come to his interview prepared to weld?  This would include bringing your own weld hood, chipping hammer, tape measure, square, marking pencil, etc.  This tells me right away that the person has done this before and knows the drill.  They guys that show up and have to borrow everything drive me crazy.

2. Know how to read a complicated print.  I give each candidate a print of a simple box with 4 holes in it.  If they can read a print they will put it together right, if not it will be wrong.  Simple print but the details are the important part.  This print also specifies the welding process and the WPS to use.  If the cadidate doesn't ask for the WPS then points are deducted.  Each weld is different so they must know how to read weld symbols also.

3. I fool with the dials so the welder has to set the machine for himself.  Know what you are doing and ask for a piece of scrap to run a few test beads on, not all weld machines are created equal.

4. I look for a willing attitude and mechanical apptidue.  Can this person think for themselves?  Did they come to the interview on time or even better a little early?  Show up late for an interview and that makes the worst first immpression and probably cost you the job.

A few other things to be aware of.  You should know the type of work the company does before the interview.  A simple online search will help familiarize you with this.  If the company does structural fab (not much pipe) they will give you some type of butt weld test.  Be familiar with the test procedures such as, where will the test samples be located on the test piece.  What will the inspector be looking for, etc.  Personally when I was a full time wleder and took a qual test I marked the test peice for the locations of the specimens and made sure that no matter what these areas were perfect.  Yes I tried to make the whole test piece right but I made sure I didn't start or stop in the test areas, why add to the pain?

lastly, there is no substitute for experience.  If you decide that school is the way to go take advantage of it and weld everything you can.  Lay down some metal, a lot of metal and then lay down some more.
Parent - By gshuma (**) Date 03-27-2008 16:51
Very good advice.
I teach (and hire) maintenance guys and a few girls. It's all true for these folks too. Show up on time and be prepared to do whatever it is that you want to be hired for. I.e. Electrical, maint welder, mechanic. PLC. Show up with clean and neat work clothes and be prepared to get them dirty. Also your own safety glasses and shoes.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 03-27-2008 23:27
Goose-em , liked your reply but is not the the point of part of the weld test to see if the welder can do a stop and start, every test I have ever done requires if not one in most cases two stop and starts. As an instructor most of the test I have seen fail are because the stop and start we're no good??????
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 03-28-2008 17:56
I do want to see if the welder can do a start and stop but there is nothing in the code about placing starts and stops in the test area for groove welds.  Fillet weld tests require at least one start and stop.  All I am trying to convey is, use a little forethought and planning when you perform a test.  Can you weld a test sample with a start and stop in the test area and pass, of course but without the code requirement to do so why would you.

Personally I don't think the AWS qualification tests are an accurate measurment of a welders ability.  Because of this I always give a workmanship test designed with the joints most welded in our shop in mind before I ever administer a qualification test.  The workmanship test should give you a feel for the welders ability to make good stops and starts. 

In my particualr line of work stops and starts are a big issue.  I don't allow starts and stops at corners particularly on RHS as this is where most failures occur.  Because of this each welder is trained to produce welds with minimal starts and stops and to make those stops and starts invisible as much as possible. 

It is my opinion that qualification tests are needed to fullfill code requirements but a hiring decision should never be made just because a welder can pass a qualification test. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2008 20:44
You've read it here before, but it is worth repeating, the code establishes the minimum requirements that have to be met, whether it is for design, welder qualification, procedure qualification, fabrication, acceptance criteria, installation, erection, or testing.

There is nothing in the codes that prohibits the employer from administering welder qualification tests that are more difficult than those in the code and they can be administered for a specific joint detail or you can use acceptance criteria that is more stringent than that permitted by the code.

The bottom line is that the employer is responsible for the work performed by their employees, so if more stringent requirements are appropriate, as determined by management, more stringent testing can be required. If you want the welder to weld with a mirror to replicate job conditions, so be it.

As a case in point; ASME Section IX allows the welder to qualify on carbon steel using any F6 electrode to qualify the welder for plain carbon steel, low alloy high strength steel, quench and tempered steel, austenitic stainless steel, and nickel alloys. Does this make sense to many employers? No, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so when I am providing my services and advice to a client, I recommend the welder be tested for carbon steels, stainless steels, and nickel alloys separately as needed for production. When asked if the code requires them to do so, I tell them no, but in my opinion it is a good practice.

In your case, if you demand a start and stop within the length of the groove, so be it. It is your company, you have to decide what is best for your company to protect your interest.

In my case, I feel as you do, so I make the test plates 8 inches long so the welder is more than likely going to make a start and stop along the length of the groove. In the case of pipe welding, I use the visual acceptance criteria of the piping code and appropriate category for the work that is being performed. It is always more stringent than Section IX. If the welder doesn't like it, he or she can go elsewhere to work and elsewhere to be tested.

Fair play is fair play. Make sure you tell the welder what you want and what you expect in the way of in-process inspections, acceptance criteria, etc. before the test is started. I never liked it when someone changed the rules of the game half way through the test.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jesusno2 (*) Date 04-02-2008 03:53
Well i scheduled a appointment to talk with a instructer on monday and heres what they offer.

basic mig welding
intermediate mig welding
advanced mig welding at at the end of this term i can take a AWS test to certify

same thing goes for the stick coarse
basic stick
intermediate stick
advanced stick which you can take a test to certify for AWS

and they offer a basic tig coarse

I dunno if its gonna be worth the money for the papers honestley i could more than likey just jump in on the advance classes then test. i was hoping they would do more pipe and stuff but i guess it's just plate tests horizontal, vertical and overhead.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-02-2008 04:09
I'd try and go to a school that you go through plate and you do pipe
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-02-2008 12:43
I think you may have mixed up base metals and filler metals used for performance qualification for welders.  Section IX does allow qualification on P1 materials (basically carbon steel) to qualify a welder for P1, P8 (SS) and P43 (Ni alloys) for example.

For fillers, the Table in QW 433 shows that qualification using fillers classified as F1 thru F5 normally qualifies a welder on the F# used and F1.  Fillers F1 through F4 (all types of carbon steels) may also qualify for the lower, e.g., F4 qualifies for F4, F3, F2 and F1.  For example, E7018 (F4) qualifies a welder to use 6010 (F3), 6012 (F2) and 7028 (F1).  Using 308-16 (F5) qualifies a welder to use F5 (austenitic and duplex) as  well as 7028 (F1).

To qualify for nickel alloys, an F4X filler must be used, but the test weld can be made on carbon steel base metal.  This makes sense where qualification is done by radiography.  When mechanical testing is required, e.g., bend tests, it may be best to use the intended base metal also.

Just as a side note, when we test new welders for employment (mainly GTAW) we test them on Inconel base and filler.  It is our opinion that if he/she can weld that sucessfully, they can certainly weld carbon and ss as well, if not better.  Qualification of welders, in many cases, is governed by Client welding specifications and may even require qualification on Project materials, not just any base metal of equal P#.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 15:13 Edited 04-02-2008 15:23
Did I miss something? It wouldn't be the first time.

In my response I noted that an F6 filler metal can be used. F6 covers a multitude of filler metals used with the GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, and SAW processes.

I didn't say that if the welder qualified with F6 he was also qualified for F4X, only that he is qualified for the P4X base metals welded with a F6 filler metal assuming there is no change in welding process, etc.

I may not have included sufficient detail to explain myself. I didn't mention the basis of the range of base metals qualified is paragraph QW-423.

I agree with your position that a change in F number will usually require the welder to be requalified, but when working with ASME you have to keep in mind that there is "A"lways  or "S"ometimes or "M"aybe an "E"xception to the rule such as is the case when "stick" welding with an F1, F2, F3, F4 or F5 filler metal.

Never, never forget what the letters ASME stand for.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ok fella's honest opinion here