Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welder qualification test (WQT)
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 03-28-2008 22:57
ARE THE ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA FOR TEST COUPON WHICH WAS MADE BY A WELDER IN  A WQT IS THE SAME AS THESE ARE USED IN PRODUCTION WELD.
IF NOT HOW CAN I FIND THEM ?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-29-2008 00:46
What code are your welders testing to?

If they tested to AWS D1.1, Section 4 has all of the answers to your questions about qualification, for both the WPS and the Welder.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 03:47
The acceptance criteria for production welds are often different then that used for welder qualification.

AWS D1.1 and ASME use different criteria for welder qualification and they have different acceptance criteria listed for the type of loading the weld is subjected to (AWS) or for different piping and vessel construction (ASME).

In the case of ASME, you have to defer to the specific construction code (Section I, Section VIII, B31.1 or B31.3 to name a few) to find the appropriate acceptance criteria.

In AWS you have to look in the appropriate welding code (D1.1, D1.2, D1.5, etc.) and determine if the weld is subject to static loads, dynamic (cyclic) loads, or if they are in tubular structures.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 03-31-2008 14:50
In 1104 i know it is different, No IP or BT is allowed in a test but in production weld you are allowed 1" in 12" of weld for IP and up to a 3/16" for a BT
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welder qualification test (WQT)