Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Manual
- - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 03-29-2008 02:33 Edited 03-29-2008 03:01
Hello folks,
  Juast a quick question. Where can I get my hands on The AWS D1.1? I will not be needing this for pipe at this point. I need reference material for the parameters required for passing many of the weld tests for local employers. They Refer to tests performed on medium to heavy plate with multipass in SMAW, MIG and FCAW. I don't want to pay a fortune right now for it. Is there an online site for this information?
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady

Just went online to "google" this. An  AWS copy runs $392.00 for ANSI/AWS D1.1/D1.1M 2008 edition. And IHS wants $1077.00 for a bundle Edition! Wow!
Maybe I should try ebay! Any input is appreciated.
Parent - - By natecf (*) Date 03-29-2008 04:00
I have seen plenty of the 2006 edition on ebay, pretty reasonably priced too.  not sure if the 2008 is out yet though. the majority of the information doesn't change from edition to edition.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 03-29-2008 04:11
natecf,
  Thanks for your response. I have couple emails to answer, then I'm hitting ebay.I was pretty sure they would have a copy. Thanks again.
respectfully Jeffrey S. Grady Sr.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 03:52
You can purchase any edition of D1.1 back to 1985 if you want and there are not any major changes in the requirements for welder qualification.

Most states have not adopted the most recent editions of D1.1, so there really isn't a driving force to do so.

I believe my state is still using the 2003 edition of IBC, and that gets you back to either the 1988 or 2000 editions of D1.1 depending on whether the engineer uses the Allowable Stress Design or Load Reduction Factored Design for their projects.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 03-31-2008 17:15
Al,
  Thank you for the information concerning the D1.1. I am happy to hear that I will not need to purchase a new volume/edition for my general purposes.
I was given some bunk Info from some guy selling "CERTS BY MAIL" on ebay. I am sure glad i have such a pool of experience to dip into here in the AWS forums. My need for the D1.1 is simply for my understanding of what may be required for certain tests and how to prepare myself. Thanks again!
Respectfully, Jeffrey Grady
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-31-2008 17:40
i would suggest 96 or newer. try a used tech bookstore.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Manual