Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS question
- - By weld7320 (*) Date 03-29-2008 15:19
We have switched to a Chinese wire (GMAW) in our plant (don't get me started on that decision) due to the cost savings so I thought I'd start auditing our floor WPS's.  I found that many of the welders were welding outside the WPS parameters.  In fact, some were way out.  After doing a little research into our "prequalified" WPS's, I found that the WPS's didn't match the specs. from the new wire manufacturers optimums. Do I need to write all new WPS's for this new wire?
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-29-2008 15:37
Sounds like it.  In order to stay in the pre-qual parameters, you/ they must stay within the settings that the manufacturer of the wire recommends.  If you go outside of them you will have to qualify the procedure, so it's easier to stay within them.  This of course is taking into consideration that there is a range of +/- per the table in the code (I assume D1.1).  I can't remember the table #, I'm at home.
Are you welding machines calibrated? that could be why some of the values are all over the place as well.   
We don't use Chinese wire, but keep an eye on anything that comes from over there, especially HSS tubes.
Chris
Parent - By weld7320 (*) Date 03-31-2008 23:52
Thanks Chris.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS question