Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Auminum with GMAW
- - By Lotney Date 05-31-2001 00:08
Greetings,
I recently started a new job making aluminum boat docks (6061-T6, 1/8 inch) and I am having difficulty getting a quality weld. I am using a Miller machine and spool gun, with Argon/Helium mix gas, (.035; 4043 wire). The machine has voltage settings(1-6; low and high) that are supposed to be calibrated every year or so (which is a completely different question in itself).
The difficulty I am having is wether to use a short-circuit or spray transfer. I do quite a bit of out-of-position welding (V-up, V-down, overhead), and I get quite a bit of smoke and splatter. I realize there are so many parameters here, but ANYTHING to help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 06-15-2001 20:35
Aluminum is a funny animal to weld with any process. The best rule that I have found, is run it hot and fast. I don't know what kind of arc voltage that you are getting with your power source, but a helium mix gas will require higher arc volts due to the poor electrical conductivity of helium. The aluminum mixes with helium are really designed for welding heavier sections (3/8+). You could most likely get away with using straight argon, which will save you some money since the price of helium has risen recently at alarming rates ( I know this because I sell equipment and gases). I have done a fair amount of aluminum welding, and if you are running on 1/8 thickness base material, you could get away with running at about 120-150 amps, 20-24 volts and enough wire to keep up with burn back rate. good luck with this. hope it helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Auminum with GMAW