Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Airco welder repair?
- - By jpcook13 Date 03-31-2008 20:27
I'm brand new to this BBS, so please allow for my ignorance, if this isn't the right forum for this.  I have an Airco welder/generator (Wasp II DC 200 amp) that I have used for many years around the farm.  I know this unit is obsolete, and I can't find any repair manuals, etc. or anybody that might have access to replacements for the electronics for this unit.  It has served my purposes very well, but it has recently been very difficult to get to switch from "Weld" to "Power".  It has a gang of manual switches operated by one lever, to go from one mode to the other.  The switches seem to work fine, but I have to switch back and forth repeatedly to get it to get any output for either mode.  I finally got disgusted, and took the switches out of the equation, by disconnecting them and jumpering out all of the appropriate wires to be in "weld" mode.  No Luck, same thing for "power" mode, so I fugure it has to be in the electronics, or maybe in the alternator unit itself.  At the same time as the problem with very low to no output, the Idle Control stopped working. (It won't idle down, just runs full bore)  Does anyone have any information on this unit, or even know if it has a brush & slip-ring or brushless alternator.  Could bad brushes produce the problem noted?  I really hate to just junk this unit, I've maintained it over the years, the 16 HP B&S engine still runs like a top, starts everytime, and there is nothing "obviously burned up" or shorted out on the unit.  (BTW, as I understand, Airco was bought out by someone else, eventually winding up as a step child of ESAB, contracted out to ArcProducts for repair.  I've been to the ESAB/ArcProducts website, with no luck)
Thanks for any help you might be able to give me..  "Spring is here, and equipment needs fixin'" !
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-31-2008 22:06
Check with Miller Electric. They quite possibly built this machine.
Parent - - By jpcook13 Date 03-31-2008 23:19
Thanks, I have an inquiry in to Miller, but have not recieved a reply yet.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 04:11
Hi Jpcook13!

If I remember correctly, that's an equivalent to a Miller AEA, or AEAD 200, or 200E, or 200L, or 200 LE... Here's an owner's manual of the Miller equivalent:

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o410h_mil.pdf

Now I don't know if this manual covers your particular model # but, if you look at the serial number and go to this link @ Miller, you should be able to narrow it down closer to the equipment you have... Here's the link:

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Scroll down the list to find the model equivalent by opening each .pdf, or enter the serial number to find the appropriate matching owner's manual.

KSellon might also be able to help since she has one up for sale by "Steve" @ their website, and she really knows her stuff with respect to not only engine drive welding equipment of many different brands, but also of all types of welding equipment troubleshooting and repair in general... Top notch IMHO because I've done my fair share of equipment repairs & servicing over the years, and did it for a living many moons ago so, I can say that they really know their stuff!!! ;) Here's their link:

http://billswelderrepair.com/Pre-Owned_Equip.html

Well, that's all I can come up with at this time so, I hope this info helps. ;) BTW, "WELDCOME" to the forum and while you're here, check out the Farm Code 2002 version of the American Farmers welding code... I think that if you keep an open mind, you'll find it to be a hilarious spoof on farm welding so, enjoy!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry

Parent - By jpcook13 Date 04-01-2008 22:24
Thanks Hank!  Great movie, "Run Silent, Run Deep".  Thanks a bunch for the info / help.  Kaye at Bill's Welder Repair has gotten me some info, and I actually kept digging around until I found my original owner manual and original sales slip.  $1540.00 for this unit in 1980!  I now have the Airco part numbers, and Kaye thinks she has some Miller cross references.  I've been spoiled, I guess, 27+ years with only minor engine repairs and servicing.  I really hope I can get this thing back up and welding, I really do enjoy using it.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 04-01-2008 18:04
Try this: http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o410h_mil.pdf

There are numerous variations of that machine. Hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Airco welder repair?