Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Etching Damascus
- - By kendall (*) Date 03-31-2008 21:41
I recently made some Damascus. I used a very high carbon steel, and some mild steel. I do not see any patterns. It is just one solid block. What do I need to do so I can see the lines?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-31-2008 21:53
search the forum for damascus
Parent - - By kendall (*) Date 03-31-2008 22:20
Any idea where I could get any of those kinds of acid?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-01-2008 03:25
Kendal, You can get ferric chloride from Radio Shack. It is used for circiut board etching, but works well for pattern welded steels. You don't etch untill the part is fully polished. There has recently been discussion at anvilfire.com Guru's den, that forum doesn't have threads, just read the last few days posts. There are some books suggested that are well worth reading.
Parent - - By thomasyyz (**) Date 03-31-2008 23:15 Edited 03-31-2008 23:18
what is exactly you want to do?,Do you speak Spanish?
Why not take a visit to Toledo (Spain).
here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdgkuMNh64I
I can pass any questiones along but try to be concise if possible.
sorry wrong link..http://usuarios.lycos.es/damasquinado/damasquino_II.html
thats the good one
Parent - By Seabourn Date 04-01-2008 05:48
ferric chloride...radio shack...dilute 50/50 or thereabouts with distilled water
muradic acid...walmart
vinegar...anywhere

Metal doesn't have to be polished but should be relatively free of scratches.   Must be very clean and absolute free of oils...even a fingerprint will disturb the etch.  Clean metal and suspend in acid for a few minutes...remove and scrub with steel wool, get the black stuff off...clean again...repeat until desired etch.   Vinegar will work also just a lot slower.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Etching Damascus