Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / unethical business
1 2 3 4 Previous Next  
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-01-2008 01:09 Edited 04-01-2008 01:23
Where I come from, slashing prices is a great big no-no. Asked a guy at the fuel pump what he was charging here on the western slope as an independant. He told me 64 per hour. He was from oklahoma. No disrespect to anyone from oklahoma, but I told him he was the exact reason some of us starve up here in the summer time. He gave me a dirty look and moved on. The going rate here is 85 ph. I am extremely upset that someone could come up here and charge that rate, when the cost of living here is astronomical, ( as are the fuel and steel prices ), and then go home with their earnings and not feel bad at all.

When I pull up and charge 85 an hour, it directly portrays the cost of living here. I am not greedy, that's just what it is - a boom town. How is it that someone can go to a different town, with a different economy - charge 20 bucks less per hour, then slink home and reap it, and sleep??????? It's because they don't have a concience, period. I can see when you are starving, but for God's sake think about everyone else in this area that may be running short at mortgage time!

I gotta say that these people are the eater of scum eater scum in my eyes............should I think any different?

How bout the countless illegals that come from abroad and work for peanuts and TAKE OUR JOBS! Is it any different when we have to give up our good jobs to someone working for a fraction of the wage...........???

By the way I edited this for a good reason. I charge 85 per hour, but burn, ( all together ), 200 pounds per week of rod, more than 6500.00 per month for fuel, 1000.00 per month in motel rooms and food, 1000.00 a month in bottles, and waste countless hours of my family life arcin and sparkin till the cows come home.........all the little expenses add up too.

C'mon you people from different states - quit screwin me............. I don't even have that many toys, compared to you.........
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 04-01-2008 01:27
I couldn't agree more! I have little but contempt for some of these guys that roll into town and want to "dirt-bag" their way into the area. It drives down industry standards! If ONE guy goes out for $50/hr when everyone is charging in the neighborhood of $75/hr than customers who don't know any better don't understand why we all can't work for $50/hr.

If you want to compete with me, great!! I welcome good, honest competition. It makes us all a little better. Go right ahead! Show the customer that you can do the work better or faster than I can, but for God's sakes! Quit "dirt-bagging" the work!!!

GH Weidman
Parent - By meliz G (*) Date 04-01-2008 01:37
i wouldnt call it dirt bag its called hustle plain old hustle and its a good thing so start hustling
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-01-2008 02:42
Hey SD, No disrespect intended, but in the past You have mentioned making some fantastic yearly income, and led Us to belive that that was NET not GROSS. Now I know that You hustle, and I don't begrudge You Your toys, but if that guy isn't making money I doubt He will keep doing it for the lower rate. His costs while in Your neck of the woods can't be much different than Yours, can they? If I were You I would be pissed too, but do You think that guy would charge 64/hr if He could have gotten 85 ?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 03:03
Unfortunately it is the American way.

It used to burn me to no end when nonunion contractors from Northern New England would come to Southern New England and house their workers in pop-up campers and pay half the wages we were earning as union ironworkers.

Now the boys from up north are ticked because those same contractors are bring in Mexicans for half of what they were paid.

Welcome to the land of whores and thieves.

How else do you explain all the jobs going overseas to the low wage countries with no EPA or OSHA to contend with. It's the "Hooray for me, screw you" mentality that is propagated by the the money managers and big corporations. I haven't seen any of the CEO take a cut in their salary as they drive their companies into the ground. They cash in their stock options and move on to the next victim, I mean the next company. It reminds me of the movie Danny Devito was in call "Other People's Money". Remember that one?

The rule is, "Charge as much as the market will bear", as long as it's not me that has to pay the freight.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 04-01-2008 03:35
The boys from up north? Care to expand upon your statement and say which contractors and exactly what states are you refering to? Last time I checked nothern New England didn't USE to be ratty.

And as far as complaining about another guy coming in and under bidding your work unless there is a collective barganing agreement it is the name of the game.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 03:43
That's my point.

Al
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 04-01-2008 03:48 Edited 04-01-2008 04:17
AL:   You still did not reply to which contractors you are refering to. I would be interested to hear who you are refering to and in which states you are refering the work happening.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 04-01-2008 20:34
I hear Bechtel is bringing in Mexican boilermakers on permit for an all union job in Wisconsin.  It's been the talk around the BM's for some time now.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 04-01-2008 22:04
i'm not a hundred percent, but i thought that was only allowable if there was a shortage of legal americans available to do the work. ( to fill the positions). i have heard in the past that that was the only way to get workers in on a work permit that was sponsored by a company or employer. i feel it is an american employers responsibility to employ american workers FIRST, but if there is a shortage of skilled workers what else could be done?

JJ
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-01-2008 16:22
You're absolutely right, Dave. But that's the problem. They go out, cut everyones throat, do shoddy unsafe work, and give all us stand up fellas a bad rap. The smart company hands, and pushers totally understand this and will only use us guys that do good work. Unfortunately you only need an iq of 30 to be "somebody" in this oilpatch. Not everyone in a high up position has the smarts to know the difference in a good or bad welder. All they see is that one is 20 bucks cheaper. Nevermind that your equipment is falling down around your ears, and that your hands wont stick around because they don't want to work on junk.

I had a good friend over the other night who consults for a large oil corporation. He jokingly said, that my certifications are really just a license to steal. This is coming from a guy who gets paid 24/7 - round the clock to watch satellite tv, and occasionally make the rounds and do some paperwork/phonecalls.....

Check your local plumbers or electricians rates sometime. You would be surprised to know that most of them make more money than we do. I would like to think that we are right on par with any of these guys in other technical trades............but hey, whatever. My rate is 85, not a penny less, and I have no shortage of work. The only reason I'm on the net this morning is that I'm waiting for my hand to bring in my swab rig to repair the hydraulic tank. Otherwise I'd be out there finishing my well hook ups.

Thank God for this forum. Otherwise, I wouldn't get to talk to many professionals..............I wouldn't get to rant and rave either. I don't think my wife would appreciate it.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 13:38
Sourdough, I do not remember where I read it but someone once said "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys." I can tell that you are a welder that takes pride in your work so stick with your rate and hold your head high. Also it has been mentioned that they pay the same prices as you when in your "neck of the woods" and I know this to be fact as I have worked on the western slope several times. Not once did I see or hear of an out of stater being charged less for a room, fuel or consumables.  When I was over there I worked with one welder that came from Texas. He drove his camper and rig up there and was working for 50 per hour. How he was making it I do not know, but imo it was very telling of his pride in his work as well as himself. Now as for as illegals are concerned, I do not believe they are any compitition to a man in your line of work as it is hard to get hired on, or stay on as a welder running your own rig without legal documentation, as well as all the other neccessary requirements. Illegals generaly do the work that guys like us will NOT do. I have said this in the past and will say it now and in the future, for every legal US citizen that you bring to the onion field to pick onions for 11 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week on HOTA** summer days I would gladly send one illegal home. Hey, if it was up to me, if you could get that US citizen to sign a contract stateing that he will do that job every year faithfully for the rest of HIS life I would execute the illegal that he is replacing. Also consider that they will need dependable transportation to work everyday or stay in the provided housing, which is not great by the way, and ride the bus with everyone else. Now I do NOT condone illegal's working in this country but they are doing a job that most will not do. And with the downfall of work ethics in our youth these days I do not see that changing anytime soon. You do not hear many seniors in high school that plan on picking onions, by the way think about when, if ever, you have seen a colored person or a white person picking onions. If we really were serious about eliminating illegals from our country we would be flooding that workforce with legal workers. But again where do we find someone legal that is willing to do these jobs? Watch the movie "A day without a Mexican" and imagine if we had to replace every illegal out there with a legal citizen. Again I do understand what your point is and I say hold your head high, charge what you are worth and be as proud as you can be for it.  I personally am thankfull on a daily basis that I do not have to do some of the work that is out there, but I would to put food on the table. Please understand I am not bashing you about the illegal's comment, just trying to be honest about what really happens, and maybe give you another point of view to consider. FWIW IMO
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-01-2008 16:02
No offense taken, but you can see what I'm saying by on of the above comments, "it's just hustling". Pimps, drug dealers and panhandlers do that sort of hustling, as do convicts in prison to get what they want. Other guys like us hustle in the literal form and we do take pride in our profession. I didn't get into this to make a bunch of money then get a 9 to 5er once the boom plummets. I'm in it for the long haul. Fortunately there's a lot of us folks that don't necessarily need to work the oilfield if we absolutely don't want to. We can do structural, pipe, rigs, ornamental, repair, stainless, brass, mig, tig, shielded arc, brazing, demolition, bridges, gates, signs, fire doors, high rises, handrails, stainless or copper hoods, chimney caps, blacksmithing, or basically any fabrication project you put in front of us. Before this boom, I was doing fine. After it, I will be just fine.

While the work is out there it makes sense to get it while you can. But, my folks taught me the importance of ethical business. They are succesful business owners themselves. Their reputation is such that people don't mind paying more because there is a high level of trust when you have them on a job. It will get done right, no matter if once in a while they have to take it in the shorts. I'm not bragging. It is what it is, honesty.......

Some folks think I get on my soapbox, and whine and brag or whatever. I'm just telling it like it is. Back home it's  vast country, and more than one person went hunting or fishing with business partners and never made it home. No body, no murder weapon, only motive. The problem that law enforcement had was that these people were hated by so many folks, there was too many suspects to narrow it down to one person. Back in the day there was a level of respect. If you didn't want everyone to hate your guts, you did right by other folk. I listen to my grandads stories about the way they took care of trouble makers and it makes sense to have that sort of respect among our society. If you stabbed someone in the back then everyone turned their back on YOU! You couldn't get any work because nobody trusted you anymore.

These clowns nowadays can screw everyone in town then leave. They get away with it because nowadays you go to jail for breaking their limbs. It's not worth it for anyone to do anything but flood our courts with a bunch of time consuming crap lawsuits that never seem to have a happy ending. These same clowns disappear for a couple years then come and screw everyone and their brothers again, and get away with it again.

It's in my opinion we ought to put them on a barge to a deserted island, and then we should napalm it.............
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 16:43 Edited 04-04-2008 13:34
I see where you are coming from and can relate as well. I just do not understand how they can do it for so cheap of a price when operating cost is the same whether you charge $50 or $85 per hour. How do they make any money that way? Are they working for the pure enjoyment of working? Here is something else to consider, a construction company from New Mexico, whos name I will not mention since they are from the land of the sun, and If you are on the western slope in the Rifle and Grand Junction area, you know who they are, are partly responsible for low wages. They pay low and bring the out of staters in at $50 per hour tops. Of course I can atest first hand knowledge that this truly is a case of "you get what you pay for." I saw some of the most ragtag half set up rigs as well as some of the freshest newbee's around doing it for those wages. The ones that had nice rigs and were good welders were the type of people that you could tell were probably running from child support or the law, IE hustling.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-01-2008 16:56
Pipeliners and structural welders are never going to be considered to be on the same technical playing field as other trades.  Unless you weld nuke or aerospace, you're just a second class tradesman, grubbing through the bottom of the barrel for work.  Sure, a lot of jobs pay well; but you have to go through hell to reach the golden donut.  long hours, on-site, rig work, two weeks gone, one home...it all adds up to a big ol' you might as well not have a life, all in the name of not eating cat food when you're too old to sling a stinger.  And just like you said, your out is usually just as big as your in.  Doing what you love is one thing.  Letting it control you is another.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 04-02-2008 01:24
SD, I don't really disagree with any thing you have said for the the most part of course agreeing to everything would'nt be any fun either. But I see examples of what you are talking about all the time I currently compete against $50-$60 an hour all the time and can't figure out how they make it. With insurance ,fuel,rods, etc,etc. On a real happy note they don't, sure they are around for a while but they never last and in actual fact 70% of my work comes from re-work of their sh#$ and in the end I always make more (another happy thought) and they are in fact my best advertising, so I say bring'em on cause cream always rises to the top if ya know what I mean. Hope those happy notes but a smile on when next you think of it.  
Parent - By darren (***) Date 04-03-2008 01:49
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
from a very good piece of literature written a couple of hundred years ago by some pretty smart fellas.

your system is a free market society and all things being equal the best will rise.
i believe it is called capitalism.
darren
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-01-2008 17:32 Edited 11-09-2013 18:46
JRW 159 said:

"...think about when, if ever, you have seen a colored person or a white person picking onions."

Here in Florida it happened often.  They were homeless people picked up at the homeless shelter and taken by van to a labor camp. At the "labor camp", they were enslaved at the company store to cigarettes, beer, and crack cocaine until the debt piled up. They were fed bologna sandwiches, and paid a tiny wage that went mostly to paying down their debts at the "company store".  They tried to find people with no car who were too lazy to walk out into the wilderness on their own two feet.  They finally threw the thug that ran the slave labor camp in prison for dealing crack.  I have not read any news about  the camp since.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 18:24
OBEWAN, first let me apoligize for the wording of my statement, as I do know that it happens. I myself happen to be one white guy who has at a few times in my life found it necessary to, believe it or not, pick onions once for about 6 weeks, picked cucumbers and mellons for about a month, mucked mud (concrete),and worked every position on both drilling rigs as well as turnover rigs both derrick and pole, back when oil was NOT worth what it is now, LOL. But my intent was to bring forth the almost unarguable fact that the majority of the "bottom of the barrel" jobs are done by legal migrant workers or illegal immigrants from many differant places. And there is a reason for this, we as a society do not want to do it.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-01-2008 19:09 Edited 11-09-2013 18:46
jr.  No offense taken.  I did not mean to imply that homeless people are the only ones who will do migrant work either.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 04-01-2008 20:30 Edited 04-01-2008 20:39
Go UNION and run the rats out.  Next it will be Mexicans with a pipeliner rig working for $40 an hour.  Don't think it can happen?  It already is.

Guess what happens when your knees go out and you can't keep up with the younger guys.  They drop you real fast.  No loyalty or brotherhood in the pipe rig trade (if you can call it that).  Just a stab in the back and boot prints left on you from getting trampled by the ignorant hick willing to do it for less. 

We in the union take care of our members when they are worn out from 30 years in the trade.  You guys toss them in the trash.  You treat people like a consumable....like welding rod.  When it's used up, get another can.  I can't even imagine what its like to work the way you guys do.  Sad what's happening in the trades.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-01-2008 21:26
If only it were that simple. "The times they are a changing". There is a lot more people in this world today than 10, 15,-20 years ago and every one of them are hungry and breeding. They breed a lot more when they can't afford other forms of entertaiment.You think they give a good Rats *&^% about ethics?

Ask some CEO's about it and they will tell you it's great for the economy (all the competition).

It is a fact of life and it's not going to get any better before it gets worse. When I was a kid I heard stories about what it was like before unions and having mobs of hungry people waiting for some one to screw up and get run off a job. My uncle who worked on an assembly line says they were not even allowed toilet breaks.

Very few people are around to remember those things and do not believe you when you try to tell them about it.

All the name calling, Ranting & raving wont stop it either. Staying organized and getting legislation passed can prevent some of it. But we are vastly out numbered.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-01-2008 22:38
Male Bovine Excrement!!! 

The Unions do not take care of ALL their members.  They make side deals for some members and some employers.  There are special members who get all the choice jobs and then there are others who don't have the right Rabbi...

They make it impossible for some members to get their annual 1200 hours, (Or Whatever the majic number is) so that they can get their health coverage and other benefits.  OOOOOH but the Union always gets the dues.

The posted ideals of Unionism are altruistic and grandiose.  In practice, things are quite different.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 00:47 Edited 04-02-2008 00:53
I agree with Joe!

Case in point:
I was a union boilermaker since 1976!!! Working as a Tube welder before I got sick, and eventually needed a liver transplant back in the nineties... I was only about twenty-five hours short of having enough hours in the quarter which I was working in to qualify for health coverage because I was laid off a few months before... I ended up in an ICU barely alive with bills stacking up the gazoo with no end in sight, and the union just casually told me "Sorry but you didn't have enough hours worked for this quarter to be covered by the health plan" even though they were already deducting my contribution to the plan from my paycheck since the day I started on that job!!! In fact, since I became a "Union" Boilermaker!!! :( :( :(

Anywho, to make a long story short, I ended up having to sell all of my assets, had to become "indegent" in order to receive medicaid coverage for some of the medical bills, and had to wait almost a year and a half before I was finally accepted by Social Security Disability, and another year afterwards before I was granted medicare coverage :(

The only silver lining throughout that whole process was the retroactive payments that I recieved from SSDI for a year and a half of not paying me what I was supposed to be paid... I have to say that it did help me get back on my feet - so to speak!!! I also got all of my money out of the union's annuities and Pension fund because, I couldn't trust them any longer that the money would be there for me later on in my life!!!

I thank God everyday for getting me through that part of my life to where I'm at today because it really taught me alot about how fragile and vulnerable we really are... It also taught me not to ever put myself in that position ever again!!! So nowadays, my money goes to solid recession proof investments and the future is looking bright!!! Why??? Because I no longer trust any organization enough to be there for me if for some reason or another I happen to become ill again except for maybe the Social Security Medicare program which will no longer cover me after five years once I go back to work full time. :( Who knows!!! By then, they may not have any money left anyway by the way the current government is spending away our future retirement fund!!! Maybe by then I'll own another company, and sell it for some decent amount, and retire by riding into the sunset on my family's "Finca" in the Dominican Republic while enjoying the sight of those clouds over the horizon that Joe mentioned in another thread!!! ;) :) :) Self preservation is the KEY these days!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 23:06
Male Bovine Excrement... I will have to remember that one.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:53
Some folks have their MBA in MBE.  We see a little of it every day.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 04-03-2008 00:18
you want to hear about cut throat. There is a union contractor that under bid another union contractor by cutting the employee's hourly rate by 5%. Take it to the bankits all about the money.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-03-2008 13:25
Male Bovine Excrement indeed!!!

While I don't believe any one alluded that Unions would cure all that ails us. Unions are just like so many other man made disasters. They fixed a problem that existed at the time of their inception but open doors for less than scrupulous opportunity seekers to do their evil deeds so to speak.

What I was leaning toward was things like adopting more Codes in to law (like some states have already done) for public safety not to insure some ones wage level.

A master's license is required for A/C, Electrical, Plumbing etc to do contract work most every where (which also opens doors of opportunity for the above mentioned) primarily for fiduciary reason under the guise of public safety (sometimes it seams that way).  But it does require the applicant meet standards. 

There will always be unscrupulous inner loppers for if no other reason than to just get their foot in the door but mostly to put food in their and their family's mouth and shoes on their feet.

I do not begrudge them the right to do so either; I just feel they should be able to produce a level of quality that is acceptable by all.

By the same token Unions (if properly applied) serve a similar purpose, however most have buckled under and no longer serve the original intent. Sometimes you need to clean up and do maintenance on the tools you have in your bag rather than go out and by new ones.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 04-02-2008 03:34
"Here in Florida it happened often.  They were homeless people picked up at the homeless shelter and taken by van to a labor camp. At the "labor camp", they were enslaved at the company store to cigarettes, beer, and crack cocaine until the debt piled up. They were fed bologna sandwiches, and paid a tiny wage that went mostly to paying down their debts at the "company store".  They tried to find people with no car who were too lazy to walk out into the wilderness on their own two feet.  They finally threw the thug that ran the slave labor camp in prison for dealing crack.  I have not read any news about  the camp since."

I'm 5th generation native of FL. I don't remember this story. Where and when did this happen? I'm guessing south FL sometime in the 80's?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-02-2008 13:48 Edited 11-09-2013 18:47
"They finally threw the thug that ran the slave labor camp in prison for dealing crack."

Regarding When did this happen?

It was a front page story several times in the Jacksonville Times Union sometime between 2004 and 2006.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-01-2008 21:34
I see some really good points and can understand some of the strong opinions. Here are some random thoughts I have often had on the subject related to fixing prices. I am not challenging anyones opinion. I am just expressing some of my thoughts. I was actually told by a customer to raise my rate for inspection services when working for them. I of course did. I probably will not change my rate for my other customers.

Some Thoughts

If an oil company were to cut all of their executives salaries and have the ability to sell fuel at 60% of the current "Market Price". How many people here would buy that fuel?  Would the rich oil execs with 5 million dollar homes be putting pressure on the startup oil company execs to raise their own salaries and move out of their 2 million dollar homes?

In my very unlearned opinion, the price of corn has gone up because thats what the market wants. Is the corn harder to produce now? Or has the price gone up because we are greedy and we can get a better price for it? Does corn for fuel cost more to grow than corn for eating ?

Back in the 70's when gas stations had gas wars, what did we (or our parents) all do? We ran to the pumps to take advantage of the competition.

Why does a doctor visit cost $300.00 for 15 minutes with a doctor, because he says so and the demand in the market allows the medical industry to charge whatever they want. What about a Lawyer. Is his training and need in society more important than somebody that can weld? Or do carpentry, or drive a truck? OR teach a child in school.

We have a strong desire for fast food. What if all of the fast food people and grocery store people decide they should make 20 an hour. Do they deserve that ? YES if they can get it.  They are a needed service in this country.

If we should put a control on the minimum price someone can charge for something, shouldn't we control the max?
What about the guy that just bought a new shiney chrome spoiler for his truck and needs to pay for it? We don't want to control the max for him yet the guy that has a 1985 flatbed that runs fine with a miller on the back made in the 70's, him we want to force into charging more?

If a new guy come into the area that has not worked that area , are any of the other rigs gong to freely give up some of their customers so he has some?  Maybe a quick way for him to get some work is to have a sale. I would think that after awhile the new guy would begin to charge the prevailing rate.

I like to get what the market will bear for my work too. If you have a bunch of customers that I want, I have to let them know somehow that I am a better value for them. I can tell them how good my work is OR offer them a better than market rate for my work. I can tell them up front that I want them to see my work and am willing to offer it to them at a price better than what they are paying now with the understanding that I am not selling them "cheaper product" but I am giving them a introductory offer for seeing my services in action.

I think in the end, people that are doing cheap work at a cheap price will get weeded out. People that are doing good work for a low price will raise their price. People that are doing cheap work at a high price will get weeded out.

If someone were to come where I work and offer to do my job for much less than I do it. I am pretty sure I would NOT like it. I do not know how I would handle it since I don't have that experience behind me. I would probably let them know that I charge more than they do. I get torn between my own desire to make what the market will bear vs the freedom for people to pursue pretty much whatever they like. Its a tough one. "Makin a livin" can mean a great deal of things to a great deal of people. Everyone has that right.

Have a good one and again,I am just throwing my opinions out there.

Gerald
Iuka, Ms- (A thrivin Metropolis in the makin! )
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 04-01-2008 22:22 Edited 04-01-2008 22:32
Pipewelder,

Pretty well said.

Griff
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2008 21:00
Thanks for the response.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 04-01-2008 22:08 Edited 04-01-2008 22:33
sourdough,

Move or start farming.

Griff...............from Oklahoma
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-01-2008 23:21
DOuh,
If a guy is willing to wear himself out @ $50 per when he knows the going rate is 85, good luck to him. If a guy is hungry or trying to feed his family and all he thinks his labor is worth is 50, why stop him. He will either get tired of killing himself working off volume and raise his rates, or move on. If this trade was fixing to get flooded with 20 dollar an hour welders, they would have been here two years ago. And who knows, maybe the guy is making $100 per and thinks it is nobody's business what he is making. He may have a sweet deal going and not want anyone honing in on him.
All welders always tell the truth. Right?
BABRT's
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-02-2008 03:19
"All welders always tell the truth. Right?"

Yup. I've heard a bunch of truths. Here are a few.

1) The job I just left was better than this one.
2) The next job I am going to is better than this one.
3) I never busted a test.
4) I never had a bad shot.
5) I'm just stayin on this job cause they NEED ME!
6) Thise rods were bad.
7) That steel is bad.
8) THats not really slag, it where someone marked over my weld with a lead pencil :))
9) The argon musta been bad, I think the bottle had been on its side and maybe the moisture came out.
10 I'll never work for so and so again if they are the last foreman, qc, construction company etc on earth.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-02-2008 04:51
pipewelder_1999,
  I like what you had to say. Here's the truth of my situation. I have read this entire thread, and i feel almost like it's not worth continuing my welding education now. I broke my back (literally) in the tool shop. I have endured paralysis, gone from the wheel chair to the walker to the cane and now at 42yrs old, i am again in college working on my degree in welding. I don't want to offend anyone here, but i feel a bit frustrated by all I've heard. No, i don't want jobs to go to unqualified people or to the out of country companies. I want to do what i have a love for...that is welding. This country needs all the new blood thay can get in the welding industry and if the new ones don't come in....China WILL! Think for a moment about the welding students who read these threads, and how discouraged they may become as a result of it. To everyone...take a new welder under your wing and teach them all you can, so we can keep the wages high and keep the foriegners out of our business. Teach some one to do something other than COMPLAIN.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady Sr.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 10:35 Edited 04-02-2008 10:39
Hi Jeff!
I would'nt worry too much if your skill sets are top notch... Just never become complacent in your continuing education, and you'll do just fine!!! Always work on developing secondary skill sets like machine tools, fluid power, electrical and electronic diagnostic skills...look into developing CAD, PLC, programming skills if at all possible... In other words, become as diversified as you can so that you can offer more than one set of skills. If you prefer quality control, there's always enough niche's where you can develop expertise or become a generalist if that's your goal.. Either way, you are the one offering your skill sets to the customer, and the more you have to offer ,the better of you'll be so, please do not misinterpret what was discussed in this thread. There's alway hope for better days to come for someone just starting out so long as they do the right thing, and earn respect based on their reputation for doing excellent work on a consistent basis... Two things customers always remember about companies or individuals that provide services for them...

One - is how well they performed the work with the least amount of problems, and for a fair price...

Two - is how lousy the the services were, and the headaches involved... These types of service providers never last for the long run because their reputations or lack of always stand out to be avoided in the future. The "Cream" always rises to the top!!! ;) ;) ;) The busy service providers are always busy because they've EARNED their reputations for getting the job done well. The bottom feeders end up disappearing only to be replaced by other bottom feeders who end up doing the same so, "Nar a worry Mate!!!"  as they say "Down under":) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-03-2008 03:39
Hello Henry,
  Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will find my niche in the industry and I'm sure i will be very happy welding and some day Inspecting. As i said, I am 42yrs old and just getting into this as a source of income. I see my area begging for welders and no kids going into the field, or the kids who do..end up getting get no real help from the old-timers. I say spread the knowledge. That was my whole premise for posting to this thread. I've had my share of being asked to do unethical things inregard to QA in the macine shop. I was encouraged to fudge the data going into the charts and report to customers. I QUIT!
I have a thing about INTEGRITY...I won't compromise mine, not for all the tea in china! I'll continue to preserve my integrity in the welding field as well.
Thanks again Henry!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2008 10:37
Jeff

Fear not.  The cream always rises to the top.

Remember.. The guys you hear complaining loudest are working huge amounts of overtime when ever they want and bringing home 6 figures...  This is because they are very good at what they do and even more productive. The fact will always be the the folks with the most skills who can out produce the rest will make the big money and the rest will make less, it has always been this way and it will continue to be..

If you have skills and a strong work ethic (and it sounds like you do) you will be fine.

Jobs are not garunteed for life like people *thought* they were in the 60's.. But if you are good at what you do you will land on your feet.

It is always, at least in the US. going to be up to the worker (you and I) to decide how much money is enough.

I took a 50% paycut to take my current job and even when I was earning my top wage I never came close to what some of these guys make..... But I bet I am as happy as they are  :)

Please be encouraged to continue.
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-02-2008 13:13
Lawrence,
  Not to worry, I'll not be quiting my education...ever. I will make my mark in the industry where I can. I understand that the situations of most of the posters to this thread are Vastly different than mine. I have already made a commitment to myself to weld as long as is possible for me, and then go into the QA sector of the welding industry. I was just making a point that to ensure the future for welders requires an investment in the new welders coming up. I sure do enjoy all the information I get here. Thanks Lawrence. And thanks to all of the fine folks here, I am building on my knowledge each day.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 13:26 Edited 04-02-2008 13:30
Jeff,
  Do not get frustrated. This industry is open for advancment in many ways and you can make whatever you want to out of it. I was searching the forum a few days ago and came across some very disturbing post from 2006 made by some bed pan, trash can emptying CHUMP bashing our profession. Our profession can lead to big money or be the same old mundane job day after day, it is all up to the individual. I started at the bottom of the bottom when it comes to this industry. Several years ago while working pulling units in the Texas panhandle, I found the need for an A frame to pull the motor and tranny out of my 1985 Trans-am. I got some old nasty oilfield pipe, some crapped out 7018, and a hood and fabricated a pretty good and still working A-frame. I stepped back and told myself " hey, I may not be a welder, But I can weld." I started out my first welding position at $7.50 per hour. I am now several years later an AWS CWI. I am in high demand and getting a job is just a mouse click away at any given time. Since my certification the least amount of money I have made in a years time was $78,000.00 and I only worked 6 months of that year. By the way I am not at a standstill, I am always furthering my education. I hold level II in PT, MT, and am looking at UT, and RT Interpretation next. I also do not need to get dirty, sweat, or Physically wear myself out any more. It was not easy getting here though, but nothing worth having is easy and I DID have to grunt it out hardcore to get where I am at. Some people are very happy making $18.00 an hour at a fab shop and will do it for the rest of thier lives, and this is great if that is what they want. But again, do not get frustrated, $35.00 to $48.00 an hour time and a half for overtime, $100.00 to $120.00 a day per diem, plus milage. Mileage and hourly paid door to door and no operating costs. Also there is often a job completion bonus. It is achievable in this industry.  I hope that a certain individual, who is in the medical field, probably emptying someone elses waste,is reading this post and CHOKES ON IT!!! I am a welder and an inspector and I MAKE BANK!!!  Alot of us do, and all of us can. Hang in there my friend.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 04-02-2008 21:24
I'd be interested in how you went from welder to CWI.  I just got my CWI and I'm finding it hard to get the first job despite 21 years experience in the trade. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 15:50
I was in a position to move fully into quality at a company that I used to work for. I was the production supervisor for the skeleton and axle air department's and there was a serious need for a CWI as we were selling product to some pretty strict customers. This company had sent three of thier structural engineers to take the test and all three failed to even get CAWI, They sent another member of the quality team and he recieved his CAWI. Which of course is not really worth anything in the field without a CWI. They offered me the chance to take the course at Hobart in exchange for signing a two year contract, and off I went. Passed, fullfilled my commitment to them and as is sometimes the case they did not feel that my services were worth the going rate nation wide which at that time was approximatly $25.00 per hour give or take a few. So I moved on and have not looked back since. FYI this company went belly up shortly after this. Not as a result of me leaving, but due to poor management practices for to long.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 16:39
awspartb,
  I copied and pasted this from one of your other posts.

"I'm just concerned about it as a welder who prides himself on performing quality work."

Having an attitude like this was and is a contributing factor in me being where I am at and what I am today. Hang in there.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 04-03-2008 23:54
Thanks for the kind words.  I feel like an outsider sometimes.  I say "hey we need to to preheat that tube to 450F and check it with the temp stick".  Weld partner says "the tack welds will preheat it."  I insist on proper preheat and get cursed at but the tube gets the preheat.  Of course he gets PO'd and heats it up to cherry red...........you get the point.

By the way, all our welds passed xray.  Now I get to fix ones that didn't which are too numerous to count.  Grind and burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Fun.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 00:10
Get used to it. I was told once by a supervisor when I asked about my upcoming evaluation and pay raise that "you really are not the most popular person out on the shop floor, and for me to give you a raise everyone will have to like you." I immediately informed him that if he put me in this position to win friends and influence people that he had the wrong man for the job. In this line of work you will NEVER be liked by EVERYBODY. I am an old welder and I myself never liked having the integrity of one of my welds called out, so I understand how it effects a welder when he is told that for whatever reason, his weld has been rejected. And I do not care who you are and how good you are, at some point in time, one of your welds has been or will be rejected, it happens,we are all human, it is nothing to be ashamed of. It is what we take from and learn from the experience that is important.

Now I hope it did not sound harsh at first, but you must be ready to take that kind of heat and not lose a wink of sleep over it because you are confident in your decisions. I have read some of your old posts concerning CWI work. The first step is always the hardest. Start with small projects, which will be low pay, and work your way up.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-02-2008 04:08
     Having read this thread I think the welding trade is just now starting to feel the pressures that have been affecting many other trades for about 20 years, namely that some bigshots somewhere are finding cheap workers, saving thier company a bundle, and getting a hansome bonus for doing it.

I am a journyman tool & die maker, a highly skilled, and historicly well paid trade in the US. Starting in the '80s companies found they could have tooling made in Europe or Asia for less money. Before deciding to get their products manufactured off shore, they brought forign made tooling to the US for production. The other shoe dropped when the production went off shore as well. Wages for tool & die makers have not gone up much in the last 15 years, and there are fewer available jobs.

My suggestion to all of You is to earn all You can now while the getting is still pretty good, and invest as much of it as possible. Income inequality is a campaign topic You hear of now days, I suspect it will only end when NOBODY makes a good wage. Some candidates might make that happen sooner than later.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-02-2008 05:11
Hello Dave,
  I understand your comment about getting what you can while the getting is good, but what does that leave the new generation of welders? What we need is THIS gen of welders to take the time to pass on the skill so we can take the mantle when it's handed to us. this whole thread makes it sound as if this is the end of welding all together for the American worker. Someone in this thread was derogetory about $20.00hr welders! In my neck of the woods..$20.00hr makes the Mortgage and all the needs...plus a vacation once a yr.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / unethical business
1 2 3 4 Previous Next