Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Where do I go from here
- - By slb4175 (*) Date 04-01-2008 04:37
I would like to get certified for Pressure Vessels,Pipe or anything haveing to do with GTAW but have no clue where to start.
So where do i go from hear i know there is ASME,API,AWS and meny outhers i just feal that by geting a cert it will make me more valuable to my imployer or outher imployers.

any help

Thank You

Seth
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 12:21
The cost of getting "certified" can be an expensive proposition because there is no "one" test that covers everything. Each welding code or standard has specific requirements, and while there is a certain amount of commonality and overlap, getting certified to one code may not be of much benefit to you.

The only thing getting certified (on your own) will do is indicate to a new employer that you have basic welding skills that may be applicable to his work. In that sense, it will make you more employable than someone applying for the same position with no previous certification.

For jobs that involves military work, or pressure vessels, or piping, welding certifications are not transportable, i.e., in general, each employer has to qualify and certify their own employees. Previous certifications by a different employer are not valid when you go to work for a different employer.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-02-2008 13:11
Previous certifications by different employers are valid with a different employer if properly documented, per D1.1 if the EOR chooses to accept them.  However, most employers don't accept previous certifications.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 15:22
In this case the question appeared to be generally directed to pressure piping and pressure vessels. So, I didn't think a response specific to D1.1 was justified, but you make a good point.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-02-2008 15:28
You're right.  I just responded because he posted in the D1.1 Questions.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 04-02-2008 15:41
What if they are quailified simultaneously with a group of participating organizations?  The only thing I can think of is "common arc"  Refering to QW-300.3 of ASME Section IX:2007 Article III.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 15:59
From the tone of the inquiry, I didn't think he would be in a position to participate in that type of program. His employer would have to be signatory to the program and would have to witness the testing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By slb4175 (*) Date 04-03-2008 04:44
well thank you guys for your help i have been welding for about two years and I am at a job where if i wore to get a cert or two I thought it would make me more valuable but things have changed I have read in a few adds for jobs in the field and saw that they were hiring code welders and was just wondering what i needed to go out in the field. I realy want to go to the field becouse that is where the mony is and I would love to lurn so much more i just dont know what i need to do im fairly good a stick and tig im pretygood at mig I have done pipe befor  to asme section IX but that was in school.

any advise

seth
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 04-17-2008 17:59
Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a welding certification.  Instead, the document you refer to is only a qualification, meaning you are qualified to weld with a particular process on a particular type of material etc.

That said, obtaining a qualification by testing and then trying to use it to gain employment is pretty much a waste of your time and money.  For the most part any reputable company will require you to test for them at their expense.

If you feel you are an exceptional welder go apply for the jobs you are interested in and take whatever test they give you.  If you have the skills it shouldn't matter what the test is you should do just fine.

If you don't feel confident in your welding I suggest you practice, practice, practice.  There is no substitute for copius amounts of arc time.  If you are unfamiliar with the different test methods do a little research and learn what they are so you can prepare for them.
Parent - By choche Date 04-29-2008 03:40
Practice your coupons, there many places on the net that you can check to get all the positions, and get them down then you will be ready for anything.  Maybe check your local trade or community college for scape material or sometimes there give ya some, and see what classes they have or refresher courses for the test or specific field your looking for. That should get you on the right path. Good luck buddy just stay focused and throw down those beads. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Where do I go from here