Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld nuts
- - By 4iska Date 04-01-2008 12:14
Hello,
I am a designer/drafter and newbie to welding fabrication. I have a question regarding how weld nuts are welded. The drawing I am updating calls for a .25 fillet weld, 2 places at 180° apart for a 5/8 weld nut. My question is, Is there a rule of thumb for weld nuts? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
MF
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 12:44
Make sure that the design doesn't call for High Strength Bolts/Nuts..ie A325...

The heat from welding destroys the bolt/nut material's properties. HS bolts/nuts are heat treated to achieve their strength, and when you weld on them you have a really good chance of destroying that heat treat, plus weldability can be a problem, along with crack potential.
Parent - - By 4iska Date 04-01-2008 12:49
Thanks, They are standard grade #5 nuts.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 12:57
Are you just trying to keep the nut from turning?

Is this because they are inaccessible once assembled?

You can tack weld the nut as you have stated or you can capture the nut with plates and altogether avoid welding the nut.

I'll use my 1970 camaro as an example, there are caged nuts that are used where the subframe bushings are bolted. There is no way to access these nuts without cutting a hole in the floor of the car, so the factory welded a cage around the nut to prevent it from turning as you tighten the bolt that holds these subframe bushings in place.
Just a thought.
Parent - - By mooseye (**) Date 04-01-2008 14:31
What is your question? >how to weld?,how much weld?,possible to weld? ?
There are many nuts in many different grades designed just for welding applications.
Parent - - By 4iska Date 04-01-2008 15:47
I guess my question is....How much weld do I need to hold the nut in place and in how many place. 2 sides....3 sides.... Is there a general rule of thumb? The size we typically use are 1/2 and 5/8 with pilots.

TIA
MF
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 04-01-2008 22:40
the weld size also depends on the amount of torque involved.  for a 1/2- 5/8" bolt there really isn't a whole lot of torque, relatively speaking.  a 1/8" weld on 2 sides would be sufficient.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 04-01-2008 23:24
When nuts are called out to be welded, it's always all the way around.  Let's be realistic here, to try to lay out and check  the weld 180 degrees apart, is a pain.  Our engineers always say all the way around for 3/4" nuts.    Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld nuts