Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / hydraulic tank pressure
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-01-2008 16:33
Building a new hydrualic tank for my swab rig. 14 x 20 x 20. 1/8" plate. How much pressure will this hold? I don't think this little tank will ever see more than 100 pounds. I know it will be just fine, but I'm curious.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-01-2008 20:01
From what you say, the tank seems to be a rectangular one. Am I right? If it is, I doubt that it'll withstand 100 psi internal pressure, unless the plate thickness is increased and it's heavily stayed.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-01-2008 21:42
Hello Sourdough, Giovanni is definitely correct on the pressure issue and the size and design of your tank. If this is truly a tank that will see pressure, you will be looking at roughly 20 tons of force being exerted on one side of this tank if it is 20" x 20" and has 100 psi. of pressure exerted against it. I am wondering if you are miscommunicating the use of this tank, unless it is being used as an accumulator, in which case it is likely going to see even greater pressures. Is this an oil storage tank? If so, it will likely see little or no pressure as it will also likely have a vented fill cap or a seperate venting hose or filter assembly. If this tank needs to stand up to pressure, even as "little" as 100 psi it should be designed and built as a pressure vessel. If it is simply for oil storage and supply for the hydraulic system it will likely function just fine as you have described. My $.02. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-01-2008 22:37
100 psi on a square tank of 11 gage is not good.

I agree that it sounds more like the reservoir that is holding oil for the hydraulic system, and not really subject to any pressure.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-03-2008 13:32
Sorry, I meant 10 pounds............
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-03-2008 19:49
Ten psig is the starting pressure of ASME VIII. This means that vessels with an internal pressure of less than 10 psig don't need to be calculated by ASME VIII. On the other hand, vessels with an internal pressure of 10 psig and above, do.
Just by feeling, having not done any calculation, I'd say that a rectangular vessel 1/8 inches thick won't withstand 10 psig internal pressure. It won't bust but it will buckle, or distort.
ASME VIII shows how to calculate a flat wall subject to internal pressure. Based on it, you can make up your mind.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By ssk1962 Date 06-02-2008 14:38
Hello Allan

Can u tell me what formula u used to get 20 T of force
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-03-2008 06:15
ssk962: 20x20x100/2000=20tons
Parent - - By scott_pa Date 04-04-2008 02:30
Using a rough stress-based design for an internal pressure of 10 psig, this small rectangular tank would need to be about 1/2" thick to conservatively limit bending stress in the plates to a safe 15 ksi, assuming you use a decent grade carbon steel such as A-36.

Going the other way, a 14" x 20" x 20" x 1/8" wall tank (unstiffened) will safely only hold about 1 psig.  You can add stiffeners to the box or stay rods to the inside pretty easily if you want to keep with a 1/8" wall thickness at 10 psig.

Pressurizing any closed container over even say 1 or 2 psig can be tricky & dangerous business - so be careful!  There are lot's of things to consider - welding/joining of the walls, fatigue due to cycled loads, permissible deflection of the walls...

Regards
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-04-2008 03:44
     If You want to do Your own pressure test, DO NOT PRESURIZE THE TANK WITH AIR. A tank full of compressed air is storing enourmous ammounts of energy. For compliance with FC2002, fill the tank completely with water, then pressurize with air. If it fails You will just have a wet mess rather than flying parts of the tank.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 12:06
I thought we had a leak somewhere in our secondary containment system on one of our AGST(above ground storage tank) that stores our gas for the company cars/trucks(turned out to be only condensation from the temperature swings). So I called the folks who service our storage tanks and install new ones when we need them. They came out and did a pressure test, so I was curious and stood over by the tank watching the gage. They added 5 psi of nitrogen and listened for leaks while watching the gages....man, I have to be honest, I about laughed when he said he only tests at about 3-5psi....I figured we would be there all day trying to find a leak at that pressure. Little did I know that whne he added 5 psi that it would make that tank make all sorts of noise to the point that I was becoming very uncomfortable standing so close....don't underestimate what a small amount of pressure can do to a large tank.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 04-04-2008 14:33
Hey Sourdough, everyone here is pretty much on the ball. A few years back I worked at a company that made hydraulic tanks of various sizes. All were leak tested using air pressure. We would use around 1 to 2 psi of air. These were much smaller than you are talking about. Small tanks were around 4" x 8" x .125 wt. Larger tanks were 12" x 14" x .125 wt. and 2 psi would really make those things bulge. One day a newer guy was doing the testing and turned up the pressure on the regulator to about 8 psi (if I recall), he was knocked unconscious after the tank blew up. Anyway, area is a big factor when making these calculations. To relate it to pipeline stuff, think of the SMYS's you deal with. A 2" .154 wt pipe can carry 650 psi at 20% SMYS where a 12" .250 wt can only carry around 250 psi to achieve 20% SMYS, given they are both the same grade of material. And these are cylindrical. Square edges add to the calculations. That's why there are no flat end caps, all round. Just things to think about when you're building your tank. Hopefully someone can give you a design formula, I'll do a little digging but no promises.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-05-2008 02:48
     To get an idea what it takes to contain relatively low pressure, look at a fabricated domestic boiler. These are used with a 30 psig pressure relief. They are usually 1/4" thick material. Note how closely the tie rods are spaced.
Parent - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 06-04-2008 03:05
Sourdough,,, I don't mean to be rude but why would you have any pressure on your resveoir tank anyways, I've worked rigs before and have fixed lots of hydraulics when I did.  your hyd. oil tank should be vented to atmosphere with a breather cap, and as one of the other posters mentioned are ya talkin' about making an accumulator, and if so, what would you need any kind of well control equipment for, a swab rig can just pull up the mandrel into the lubricator(stripping out thru pack-off) and shut-in the wellhead.  Maybe I misinterpretted everything and my wording might be a little different than yours as I'm Canadian and appearantly we have different words for the same parts, oh yeah I was talking bout' a nitrogen/hyd. oil accumulator with the bladders inside (the accumulators that function your BOP stack). I'm way off topic now.

P.S.--Live draworks are way more fun than hydraulics !!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / hydraulic tank pressure