Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 163 governor
- - By cotnpicker (*) Date 04-02-2008 02:45
My son is just starting out with a 200 redface.  He had rebuilt his carburetor and replaced plugs and wires and had it "running like a top."
Today he said it started lugging under load, and noticeably losing heat.  Somebody there observed the governor (how did he put it?) jumping up and down.  Is this a common thing and likely to be the problem?  If so, is it likely to be adjustment, replacement, divine intervention, or what?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 04-02-2008 04:12
what do you mean by jumping up and down?(it is loose)
Parent - - By cotnpicker (*) Date 04-02-2008 06:52
Don't know, wasn't there, tried to call him back to describe it to me again to post here.  I thought maybe this would ring a bell with somebody.
I will check further tomorrow.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 04-03-2008 01:00
ive got a 73 200, mine acted up for a bit , i traced it back to the idler plunger, it has a bend in the arm ,if that bend isnt stable it falls and vibrates , i wrapped a plastic zip tie around it and hung it from the idler arm loosely and that took care of it. i dont know if thats youre problem but , you could also look at youre adjusment screw on youre carb, it could be chockeing it out. i dont know tech terms ,but it does sound minor for what its worth.
Parent - By cotnpicker (*) Date 04-03-2008 03:05
A friend on the job checked it out and thinks it is in the linkage, I'm told.  They think they can take care of the problem.  Thanks, guys.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 04-04-2008 13:12
Just a note to all--- if your governor fails or is starting to fail-- it will run wide open no control. That is its only job, to govern the engine speed.
Parent - - By cotnpicker (*) Date 04-07-2008 04:17
I heard the welder run today.  I'm out of my element here but the best way I can describe it is it when you strike an arc it smothers down like a tractor that is totally overloaded when you drop your plow into the ground.  I suggested it could be something as simple as a restriction in the fuel line  but was told this wasn't it.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-07-2008 04:44
Look at the linkage at the carb end when someone starts to weld, be sure it dumps the throttle open. You mentioned that He rebuilt the carb, did He put a fuel filter just ahead of the carb? if not He might have gotten some dirt, etc. in the carb and have a jet partially/completely blocked. I strongly suggest that He clean out the gas tank & fuel line & carb, and put a filter inline.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-07-2008 12:33
night also check the butterfly in the carb. I saw one recently that somebody had adjusted the butterfly and it would barely let any air int the carb. Only one i have ever seen like that.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 04-07-2008 13:44
Is the arm on the governor knuckling over? Sounds like the machine is not reaching full weld speed, or because of damage to leads or reels may already be under load. Check the "T" on the butterfly shaft of the carb, it could be loose so its not turning the butterfly for full throttle.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 163 governor