Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe or TIG
- - By E Jacobs Date 04-03-2008 00:30
I new to welding. I just got my 3G certification and I'm still in school. Before, I take my next course I need some advice. Which is more valuable pipe welding (6G) or TIG welding?

Thanks
EJ
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 04-03-2008 00:41
both
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 04-03-2008 11:55
You don't want to be a pipe welder that can only weld with a stick electrode.  Like said above, it is a really good idea to know how to weld pipe with the tig.  Being able to weld aluminum and other alloys with the tig is also a very good thing to know. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 15:59
I would have to agree that they are both valuable. GTAW might be the more difficult of the two to master for most but both are a skilled process. Having said that, GMAW is also very valuable, and is also a skilled process for the welder that is serious about what he/she does, but it is also, imo, the easiest to master, but a good skill to have if you are looking to be well rounded in this industry. GTAW was the hardest for me.
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 04-03-2008 21:06
how bout a TIG pipe welder?  that's the best of both worlds.  remember, one pipe certification will cover you for all of your structural certifications using the same process.  learn stick welding on pipe too. 

it's kinda like getting a motorcycle license, but no regular driver's license...yeah, you can go places, but not everywhere.  and besides, you wanna be the guy in the company who can say, "Yeah boss, I can do that," instead of "Well, I've done a little bit of that, but I'll need some practice."
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-04-2008 03:34 Edited 04-04-2008 03:36
I'm a tig pipe welder I weld stainless steel pipe. When I was in school I learned everything stick welding pipe and tig and mig flux core but my teacher always said learn the tig that is where the money is at. Well now that I'm outta school I say learn tig and stick seems like most jobs I see are tig the root then stick the rest of the way out. I haven't done much stick welding in about a year or so but once I get my machine rebuilt I'm gonna start practicing.. it's funny people say stick welding is a dieing trade I call BS on that one it will never die. Where I work is like 95% tig and like 3% fluxcore and 2% mig and I sure wish I worked in a place that did stick welding not just mostly tig.
I guess stick welding is like riding a bike once you learn it you don't forget it but you do get a little rusty.
So yeah learn it all.. learn to fit as well
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe or TIG