Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Looking for a way in
- By wannaweld (*) Date 04-03-2008 03:24
Hi, my name is Robert, I am 23 years old, I currently live near Dallas, TX. I am the father of four kids, have mortgage, and a minivan. I am currently working as a automotive technician-mechanic. I am looking for a way to get my foot in the door as an apprentice. I would really like to learn how to weld pipe. I have taken some welding classes at CC. I was doing pretty good, till gas prices shot through the roof and can no longer afford to feed my kids, pay my house note and drive to school. Really I would be interested in anything that would pay the bills and give me an opertunity to learn. My partents taught me how to do one thing well and that was to work. They taught me that any thing worth doing is worth doing right, to give 110%, and to be loyal to the person who signs the check. I have been looking at all the different pipe companies, unions, trade contractor, and so forth. But without knowing someone it is hard to get in as a helper/apprentice and make a pay check. If it means traveling so be it. I want to give my kids the future they deserve and with the automotive industry taking a down turn it is getting harder everyday. If any of you know of a pipe company, pipefitters union, anything that could get my foot in the door I would greatly appriate the heads up. Thank you.

-Robert
rgafi@msn.com
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Looking for a way in