Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING SCHOOL INFO
- - By Lunchbox (*) Date 04-03-2008 21:11
Does any one know anything about Hobart Welding School?  I heard they are really good.  If anyone can post any info about this or anyother school I would appreciate it.  I am looking to get into pipeline welding if anyone can help me with info about that as well.

Thanks
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 22:46
I can tell you from first hand experience that Hobart is one of the best. I can not comment on any other facilities as I have no first hand experience. This does not by any means go to say that any other educational facility is worse or better, but that Hobart and their instructors, that range from welding instructors to certification instructors, are truly top shelf. But when you start looking at prices you must understand that in this area you truly do "get what you pay for."
Parent - - By Lunchbox (*) Date 04-03-2008 22:53
Yeah I seen how much Hobart runs.  Not cheap but thats what I keep hearing about them is that they are superb.  Like you said you do get what you pay for.  Plus they are one of the only schools out there where you can get federal financial aid just like you can as if you where going to get a 2 year or 4 year degree.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 22:58
Interesting, I was not aware that you could receive financial aid for their programs. That would take a lot of the hesitation out of the decision of whether to go there or not.
Parent - - By Lunchbox (*) Date 04-03-2008 23:37
I know.  I just wanted to see what other people had to say about it.  I think I am going to take thier combo welder program.  You said you went there.  Did you have a hard time getting work?  Did you get any certs while there?  What kind of job and what kind of pay could I expect when I get done.  As far as job goes I mean can I call one of these national contractors and get on as a pipe or a combo welder?

Thanks
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 23:53
No I had no problem getting work. I can not even compare the pay rate for welding as it was long ago that I emerged a welder. But It was an improvement at that time and may still be. On the other hand, my CWI was a whole other story. I learned , I applied, and I am still on a daily basis learning and applying and advancing.  No problem at all getting work. There is a lot of hustle involved with bringing home the big money, but you can make a living in both fields. One thing that I will say is this, it is only going to be what you are willing and capable of making it. With both welding and inspection. As far as welding certification goes, it has been said many times, and in my opinion, is not really about the certification as much as the learning experience and hands on applications. You will almost assuredly have to test to hire, but you will be well trained and prepared to do so. When you get there tell Nelson, Elmer, and Chuck hello for me.
Parent - - By Lunchbox (*) Date 04-04-2008 00:00
Will do.  Thanks for all the info I got my application for hobart and I am going to fax it in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info,
Erik
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 00:14
Anytime, and good luck in the future.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING SCHOOL INFO