Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help and a question?
- - By Tnwelder (**) Date 04-04-2008 01:42
Hey guys im back.  I have been welding my butt off and enjoying every minute of it. I have a couple of questions.  I am working on my 6G 6010 root and 7018 cap certification. I am getting great root passes but here is my question.  Should i grind out the root and put a 6010 hotpass in or a 7018. I was told by a very experienced welder to put the 6010 root in and dont even grind the root out and put the 7018 hotpass over it. He told me that the 7018 would burn out the remaining slag of the 6010 because it is a cellouse rod. Well I started to weld and asked my instructor and he told me it would not burn out the slag. So, I dont know the truth. And the other question i know that most welders are on the road welders, but which is the best on the road or at home. I am about done with school and was wanting to know what you guys think.

Thanks guys,
Parent - By cpopham (*) Date 04-04-2008 02:18
If there is any doubt always grind.  I have put a root in with 6010 and hot passed with 8010 and only buffed it. It passes x-ray but that is welding to 1104.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 04-04-2008 03:15
I agree completely. In the field Ill take out the wagon tracks most of the time(grinding the stringer out). Obviously on a job theyre not gonna want you to spend all day grinding but your looking for solid steel in there and if you have to do alittle grinding to get it so be it you'll get fast at it. In a test situation ask ahead what they will allow. Trust me take your time and take every advantage that they give you when youre in a test.This may be a little off the subjest too but make sure youre aware of where they will be cutting the test coupons out on your pipe too (dont have a start or stop in that area). Your instructor is right though, 7018 will not burn out slag, all it will do is displace it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help and a question?