Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat Affected Zone Degradation
- - By chaalunet Date 04-04-2008 13:59
New poster here. I'm looking for information on heat affected zone when welding AL6061 T6 parts. I understand that the heat affected zone (HAZ) has lower tensile properties (yield/ultimate), but need to know by how much. I'm hearing different opinions on properties in the HAZ:
1. 40% below original T6 post yield behavior
2. Just like a Al6061 T4
3. All the way down to O temper anealed designation.
Please shed some light. Thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 14:46
The degradation is heavily influenced by the time at temperature. The higher the interpass temperature and the longer the time, the more severe the degradation of mechanical properties is. The problem is called overaging. Normally the alloying constituents clump together in the solidified grain causing the 6061 to become harder and stronger. Overaging causes the alloying elements to precipitate to the grain boundaries thereby weakening the metal.

Consider this: even when everything is done properly, most welding standards accept the fact that the tensile strength of 6061-T6 will drop from 42ksi to 24ksi and it is considered to be acceptable.

AWS D1.2 can be reviewed, but it doesn't give your the "whys" or "how" things do what they do. There are books by Kaiser and others that explain what happens to different aluminum alloys when you weld them.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-04-2008 16:53
here is the data  from the Aluminum Association   Structural  Welding  Code :
                            6061  T - 6         19 K  allowable  stress           11    K  within   1 "  of  weld      ( tension )                                    
                            6063  T - 5         9.5 K      "            "                6.5 K     "         "    "      "               "                                          
So  you  can  see  there  is  considerable  property   degradation  -
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-14-2008 20:23
ravi-

I am very interested in your data. Please be more specific on the reference you cited. The AA does not seem to have a listing for "Aluminum Association Structural  Welding  Code".   Are you refering to the AWS Structural Code, D1.1? 
Thanks
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-15-2008 00:04
There  is the AWS  D 1.2  which gives the  MINIMUM  tensile strengths you have to  hit during welding procedure qualification.The figures which I have presented are from  the  ' Aluminum Design Manual  '  (2000 ) published by the Aluminum Association.
This is a very comprehensive structural engineers  design guide , giving  allowables for non  -  welded  and  welded  members greater than 
1.0  inch  from a weld   and " shaded "  values which apply  up  to 1  inch  from  a weld.

For example     6061  T 6        Tension Member   > 1  "      19 k ips                   < 1 "        11 kips
                                                             from  weld                              from  weld
                                          Column in compression  with  welds       Allowable  12 kips

So as you can  see Aluminum Structural Design  is  N O T  for the feeble  minded
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-15-2008 11:42
Thanks ravi-
The citation that is the most fascinating to me is the degradation of strength up to "1-inch from weld".  I am sure that may vary on member thickness, process used, type of joint etc., but my worst case estimate was usually less than half that distance based only on shop observation.  I debate with engineers here on a weekly basis who claim that weld degradation is not so severe, or who are shocked that we need a full solution heat treat to restore T6.     Thanks for the reference, I will order that book today.
And thanks to chaalunet for posting this very good question.
Regards.
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-15-2008 16:48
If anyone (  and you  especially tom )  wants  a copy  of  the  6061  /6063  / or any  other Aluminum  data  I  can  fax  you  the applicable stress  data.

Actually  the data  page  was for  6061 T - 6  ;  1 "  and  less in  thickness  which  covers  about  75 %  of  applications - and of  course  if  you were making a lattice truss out of  2 X2 X .250  thick  this  would  be  representative  -

To me  what is  amazing  is  that  6063  T - 6 has an allowable of  15  kips tension  or  compression  but  in  the welded  condition , within
1  inch of  the weld  the allowable  tension  or compression  is  only  6.5  kips .

This makes aluminum designs  very  creative  and  chalenging -
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 04-15-2008 18:36
Copied from "The Welding of Aluminium and its Alloys"
Gene Mathers
Cambridge

Woodhead Publishing ISBN 1 85573 567 9
CRC Press ISBN 0-8493-1551-4
Published by Woodhead Publishing Limited, Abington Hall, Abington
Cambridge CB1 6AH, England
www.woodhead-publishing.com
Published in North America by CRC Press LLC, 2000 Corporate Blvd, NW
Boca Raton FL 33431, USA
First published 2002,Woodhead Publishing Ltd and CRC Press LLC
© 2002,Woodhead Publishing Ltd

In the overheated zone in the HAZ closest to the fusion line, partial melting of the grain boundaries will have taken place. Temperatures have been high enough and cooling rates sufficiently fast that solution treatment has taken place, enabling some ageing to occur after welding. Adjacent to this is the partially solution-treated zone where some of the precipitates have been taken into solution, enabling some post-weld hardening to occur, but those not dissolved will have been coarsened. Outside this will be the overaged zone where precipitate coarsening has taken place and there has been a large drop in strength.
The strength losses in the 6000 alloys are less in the naturally aged metal than in the artificially aged alloys.The strength of the weld and HAZ in the artificially aged condition generally drop to match that of the naturally aged alloy with a narrow solution-treated zone either side of the weld and an overaged zone beyond this, which is weaker than the T6 condition. With controlled low-heat input welding procedures the strength of the weldment will not drop to that of an annealed structure but will be close to that of the T4 condition.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-16-2008 14:49
RBeldyk-

Your reference would seem to be at odds with ravi's Aluminum Assoc data. I suppose the difference may be due to Gene Mathers caveat, "...controlled low-heat input welding procedures..." ; what low-heat input value is suggested (in terms of kJ/in) in order to preserve at least the T4 condition?  Does the Mathers book say?
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 04-16-2008 18:11
Though Mather does not define controlled low-heat input welding with parameter in this chapter 3 where the the forementioned quotataton orginated.

In chapter 2  Mather writes "for example, a single pass AC-TIG weld in a 6061 series alloy made with a 4043 filler metal will give an ultimate tensile
strength of around 300N/mm2 in the post-weld aged condition, a multi-pass MIG weld made with a 4043 filler will give approximately 230N/mm2.
Changing the 4043 filler to a 4643, which contains only 0.2% of magnesium, will improve the strength after post-weld ageing to match that of the autogenous
AC-TIG weld."
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-17-2008 03:29
Autogenous AC-TIG weld in 6061 ??? Does that work reliably?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-17-2008 18:49
"Autogenous AC-TIG weld in 6061 ??? Does that work reliably?"

We do autogenous AC TIG on 6061 every day.  They are edge flange welds subjected to mild stress and HCF/vibration.
Out of thousands and thoudands of welds, I have only seen 1 crack in the last 4 years.

These are sheet metal enclosure welds for a turbine engine electronics box.  I suppose it would be different if it was a heavy duty structural weld.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-18-2008 01:55
I was under the impression that the alloys in the apropriate filler metals were needed to prevent cracking, but I guess not always.
Parent - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-17-2008 12:11
I'm not sure I buy what Mathers is selling, or else the information cited is too easily taken out of context. 

Some part of the HAZ may naturally age back to T4, but I do not think that aging can happen unless some form of quench precipitation occurs as a result of temperature differences across the HAZ.  Other parts of the HAZ will be overaged and drop back to T4 strength level and suffer no further degradation; Other parts nearest the fusion area will remain in the solution annealed condition and unless precipitation occurs, this area will not age.   Now the "1-inch" affected zone that ravi cites from AA seems to be an opposite extreme.  

I wish there was a definitive reference that can spell this all out.  Aluminum metalurgy experts please comment!  In fact I am going to drop a note in the Metalurgy forum and ask them to check in here.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 13:40
Richard,
Don't make me go to my conversion tables. LOL!!!
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 04-17-2008 14:18
I am down here in Chattanooga TN building wind towers, since most of the design came out of Europe we work with metric units all the time.  Just yesterday I chastised one of the engineering technicians for carrying a 25ft steel tape, not a metric one.  WPS, PQR WQTR and engineering drawing are all metric. 
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-18-2008 16:41
I  have used the Aluminum Association documents  ( and  assumptions  ! )  since  1968.

While they might be  conservative with regard  to  H A Z  they  form  a good common basis for architectural  type  stuff  -

I  do  not  think  that  North American Rockwell , say , used them  for  Apollo  Stage  ll  ; or that Martin Marietta  used such

calculations  for the Space Shuttle External Tank
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat Affected Zone Degradation