Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ISO 9002 Certifications
- - By whb Date 06-04-2001 00:38
Does anyone have experiences good or bad when a company gets certified to ISO 9000. Has their been any changes to the CWI inspectors job classification?
Parent - By JDeaton Date 06-12-2001 13:29
I have worked for a company that has the ISO 9000 and the only thing that was about it is there is many more forms and paperwork to fill out. I was not CWI but I would not thank that your title should change.
Parent - By burikg (*) Date 11-14-2001 09:46
In Europe the most desired certs are ISO 9000 series. This means that you have to fill many forms
and keep on track all stuff till next validation (in every 3 year). I'm EWE so I can't tell you too many
news.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-14-2001 12:51
Yea! They tend to go overboard with documentation and calibration and creat un needed paper work and expense.

There are a few discussions on this board in earlier days, Should you go back through them I am sure you will be very enlightened.
Parent - - By Lonnie Date 12-10-2001 00:25
I would suggest you find a registrar that knows your buisness first and foremost. I worked for a Structural Steel fabricator in Ohio and we used a consultant that was referred to us by our registrar. Quasar from Canada is a registrar that is a division of the CWB. (our version of the AWS). They added no paper work other than what was necessary and it was not all that much more than what we already had in place for our AISC complex building certification. If you have any questions feel free to e mail me at lonniegoins@msn.com
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 12-10-2001 03:43
Check out this link.

http://www.netscope.co.uk/amb/
Parent - By Ronalb (*) Date 12-11-2001 16:25
We have been ISO9001 certified for almost 6 years. My classification as a CWI has not changed. ISO requires everyone in the company to "buy in" to the system. This means that every fitter, welder, helper, engineer, etc. has to take responsibility for their own work and that there should be a system of checks and balances to ensure that the quality of the final product is at its peak. Of course in the real world not too many people want to say "hey boss I messed up and it will take 40 hours to fix it" so they try and cover it up. Then you need to hire additional inspectors to inspect quality into the product instead of inspecting for quality. Wait a minute that might just be the company I work for. Anyway, there should be no additional paperwork if you are already documenting your inspections except for the addition of tracking numbers on the forms. You will have to calibrate or verify your welding machines that have meters on them (miller makes a load bank that works perfectly).
Ronald Bergeron
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ISO 9002 Certifications