Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / powcon 300st
- - By d walmsley Date 04-04-2008 19:20
does anybody have experience with this welder,durability reliability etc. also how much one is worth, it`s in good shape doesn`t look like it`s seen much use,thanks.powcon 300st
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2008 19:38
I toted a many of em down submarine hatches. I used that same model in the Navy . About 84 on I think. They were good machines then but when they quit working they couldn't be fixed on our ship.

The Tig start option has a capacitor that charges up real NICE and will get all over you if you get between the arc and some metal. Check out http://www.arconweld.com/portable_welding_machines/portable_welding_machines.htm .

Hope this helps

gerald
Parent - - By d walmsley Date 04-04-2008 21:17
do you have any idea how much they might be worth ,I paid 500. and was just wondering if this was reasonable.I know it`a too late I already bought it and I guess it`s reliability and performance will prove it`s worth.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2008 21:23
If it works, yes thats a good price . I'll give you 6 if it welds:)
Parent - - By d walmsley Date 04-04-2008 21:39
thanks for the offer but no, my employer wanted me to buy another inverter welder for a bigger job coming up and just wanted to make sure he was getting a decent deal.I noticed this machine makes a ticking sound, (Capacitors discharging someone had said on one of the other welding forums)did you have this with the machines you used.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2008 21:44
The ticking is normal.
Parent - - By d walmsley Date 04-04-2008 21:53
thanks for the information
Parent - By down19992000 Date 09-19-2008 19:54 Edited 09-19-2008 19:57
i bought a powcon 300 st the other day. i gave $400 for it. really like a whole lot
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-19-2008 21:09
[deleted]
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-21-2008 04:54
Different animal there Steve!!! Those POW Con 300ST's were exactly like Gerald mentioned... Btw, Miller did NOT Buy their technology at all in the late eighties/early nineties!!!
I used repair these early inverters while the "suit's" were selling these like hotcakes to many folks like the USN for instance, mainly because of their portability...

Btw, that ticking sound is most definitely the capacitors discharging like Gerald mentioned, and Miller already had their first Inverter model out before 1989.
The biggest problem with those inverter power sources were the lack of shock absorbers or vibration isolators incorporated into the mounting of the main ceramic inductors which were extremely vulnerable to having hairline cracks propagating due to the lack of some sort of shock absorbing mounting device designed into the system in order to dampen or counteract the effects of sudden impacts of varying intensities originating from hitting objects or anything else, and operators dropping the power sources either unintentionally or for research purposes in determining what were the limits these power sources had when it came to their ruggedness!!! Oh, and those ceramic inductors cost a pretty penny to replace which inevitably

IGBT's were first used in inverters by the European & Japanese Welding equipment manufacturer's... We followed suit ;)
Just as Gerald mentioned in this thread previously - these pwoer sources were good machines that worked very well when they were given just a tad of TLC yet, if they weren't taken care of as they should have been in the first place, the first part that would most likely fail were the ceramic inductors or the capacitors which had lousy quality controls built into each and very one of them!!!

These Pow -Con's, and myself go way back just as they go back in the day with Gerald also - son ;)
Darn good little workhorses they were when "firing on all cylinders - so to speak!!!" I personally worked with over 100 of these and similar puppies ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-21-2008 12:46
On thing that I think is hard on any portable machine is the fact that its portable. Carrying a machine around can subject it to bumps that a machine that must be lifted by a crane will NEVER see.

I recently saw where someone picked one of the ST's up for $700.00. Thats a deal in my opinion.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / powcon 300st