Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / root gap and land
- - By elliott (**) Date 04-04-2008 22:18
Hows it going everybody. Well got my hands on some 4" sch 40 this week cut it all into 2" wide pieces. The other day i beveled acouple of pieces to try welding I put a 3/32nd gap and about 1/16th land and got burn through right away so the next pieces I did I gave them the same gap of 3/32nd and and a land of about 3/32nd. and the same thing happened so i adjusted the amps down to about 80 and couldnt even keep the arc light. I was just wondering what you guys had  used for 4 in sch 40. It was 6010 1/8th rod going down with a tight arc.
  Thanks again for the help,
    elliott
Parent - - By Roadtrash (*) Date 04-06-2008 00:49
tighten up your gap. I like to run with a 1/16 to 1/8 land and about a 1/16 gap, maybe a little bigger but not much.
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 04-09-2008 03:12
Frist yor nipple need to be at least 7 inch long not two inches at ,two inches there are to much heat and no where to go .get you a 1/8  rod ,v shap your rod ,an put it as spacer, Tack your nipple at 3o'clock witha 3/4 long tack move to 9 o'clock an tack you nipple at 9'o'clock take yor spcea out ,an look at your nippler to make sure the spacer are the same, if one side is wider weld it frist,12 an 6 o'clock .
e-6010 up hill you will need to start your weld at 6;30 on your nippler ( never start the same place ) strike you rod about 1inch above with a long arkto build up your gases then move down to your staring point put your rod 1/16 above the root make sure you keep no more then a 5 to 8 angle on you rod.( allways look at your pipe as a clock12
at the top 6 on the bottom3 an 9 on each side .when you stop weld puse through the nipples an quick pull out to make a KEYHOLE ,all ways start with net

rod at a long ark about 1 " above your keyhole,with a long ark an move to your keyhole witha small ark  no larger then 18' off your metal.every time you start clean your weld
Parent - By Billyjoe (***) Date 04-09-2008 03:16
you can used this up hill or down hill
Parent - By Billyjoe (***) Date 04-09-2008 03:18
you can use this up or down hiil ,you need a gap for you root pass you root should not stick out no more them 1/8"
Parent - By Isaac82 Date 04-16-2008 02:31
for downhill firstly you want a lot smaller bevel then if you were doing uphill. Around 30-34 I like to run a small land but anything from 1/16-3/32 should work fine. As for the gap you need 1/16. as for amps just depends on the fit-up. anything from 80-100 should work fine. i usually run around 95. You want a small half moon behind the electrode. And just slide it down. It should feel like your dragging it across grease. if you get a larger key hole switch to a trailing angle if your key hole tries to close up switch to a push angle if it is not burning equally on both bevels just give it a small wiggle. Some people run no gap no land i've personally never tried this but if you decide to try this go with a larger bevel around 37-40 and run around 115-125 amp
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / root gap and land