Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Coreshield 8
- - By firstpass (**) Date 04-05-2008 17:53
This wire is suppose to be more user friendly than the other FEMA group wires.  Are there any tricks or sugestions to being successful with this wire.  

Will be welding on tube steel 1/4 inch thick with a 1/4 inch fillet required.

What size of wire would you suggest for this application.  The tradesman performing this work are not familiar with the innershield process but the 71T-8 is the filler metal required.

Thank you for your assistance.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-06-2008 01:02
I would use .045 Hobart fabsheild 21b wire It runs great and is easy to use. A 1/4 inch weld should be a cakewalk
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-06-2008 03:56
Hello Cactusthewelder, I don't believe the Hobart Fabshield 21B is qualified for FEMA, that's why he is using the ESAB Corshield 8.
     Firstpass, I do believe that 1/16" wire will work reasonably well for those welds. Also pay close attention to your stick-out with this wire, I believe it is called out at between 3/4" and 1". On any verticals that you run, I would suggest a slight drag angle instead of a push and you will likely want to get a hold of some scrap and work with the suggested settings a bit, the Coreshield 8 can be a little bit finicky and have a fairly narrow range of voltage and wirespeed to come out the best. In the past there have been a few individuals on the forum that have quite a bit of experience with this wire, hopefully they will chime in here and give you some suggestions as well. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By Weldrwomn (*) Date 04-06-2008 22:26
Fabshield 21B is not a T-8 wire.  Fabshield 71K6, Fabshield 3Ni1, and Fabshield 81N1 are all wires that you might consider.  They are commonly made as 5/64.  They all have a fairly narrow range of acceptable voltage/amperage settings, but once you get the hang of running them, they aren't a problem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Coreshield 8