Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Wondering If I should choose a career in Welding
- - By jlile001 Date 04-05-2008 23:17
Hello Everyone,
I am nearing my retirement in the U.S. Army and considering what I want to do for the rest of my life.  I have been interested in welding for some time.  Never tried it, it just seems like an honest living that might be interesting, challenging and maybe profitable.  Just looking on line I have run across different trade schools and certifications.  All of it is "greek" to me right now.  So I have a few questions.

Is welding something a 40 year old beginner could be successful at?

What training do I need to try and obtain to get started?

What are the more reputable places/institutions I should be looking to get training from?  (Western Kentucky area)

What is the average yearly salary?

A lot of basic and broad questions.  I am just throwing my feelers out there to get an idea from some of you have considerable experience.  Any and all information will be appreciated.  Thanks, Jlile001
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 04-06-2008 08:23
You are never too old to learn anything. If you want to give welding a shot, go for it, but make sure your eyes are good because right around the 40 year mark......your eyes tend to go down hill and corretive lenses are the norm.
IF you have never tried welding, I wouldn't make a big investment in it until you get your feet wet. Look into a SMAW basic course at your local community college or trade school. You'll probably find an inexpensive 6-8 week course a couple of nights a week. Welding ain't for everybody and you might decide you don't even like and if you do like it than the small investment you made will only help you in a more advanced and detailed class. Welding is really made up of several different processes requiring different equipment, but I would suggest any course which use: SMAW, GTAW and GMAW.
I am not anywhere near W. Kentucky but you can google: trade schools or vocational schools and you should come up with something.
Salaries vary alot depending on skills required. $21,000 to $72,000 and alot more if you have a rig truck and work for yourself.
Anyway, i hope this reply has helped.
Be well,

Hawk
Parent - - By jlile001 Date 04-06-2008 11:00
Hawk,
Thanks, the reply was helpful.  I googled welding courses in the area and there are several, just as you had mentioned. 

Most I saw are associated with "AWS" I guess that is a type of certification?

I am looking at trying to find a skill that is always marketable and one that can make me somewhat self sustaining.  I enjoy doing something that allows me see the end product after a days work.

Another question.  After receiving your basic certifications, is their a journeyman "apprentice" period as in many other vocations such as electrician and plumbing.

jlile001
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-06-2008 15:39
Hello jlile001, welcome to the forum. The "AWS" designation with those programs could have various meanings. If the program says that it is designed and a part of an AWS Sense program that pretty much means that their curriculum follows a tried and true set of offerings that are endorsed and supported by AWS. In other instances the school may simply be following this course of curriculum but may not be directly supported or endorsed by AWS. Still another possible connection to AWS may be in the form of testing that is available through a particular school, this could mean weld testing or possibly inspection and certification help with regard to becoming a CWI or becoming qualified to do other types of inspection work.
     Hawk gave you very good advice regarding many of the other considerations on getting started. The best advice he gave you has to do with deciding whether you really want to pursue this. If you do determine this to be true then you will only be limited by the effort and level of gusto that you decide to put into it. The welding trade has a tremendous number of different paths associated with it, you will, however, need to get started into it to ultimately realize all of these. I'm sure that many others will chime in here with many other great suggestions for you to consider. Best of luck to you and regards, aevald
Parent - By jlile001 Date 04-07-2008 17:39
aevald,

I appreciate the information.  After the google search there are several trade schools in the area that offer an 8 week course.  I will definetely give them a shot.  I still have two years before I start my whole retirement process but want to make sure I do my homework befoe that last year comes along.  I definitely want to make sure that whatever training I participate in gives me some type of worthwhile, recognized accredidation.  I am really pleased with the level of feed back on this site and appreciate the help. 

jlile001
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-06-2008 21:18
jilile001,
  Don't let your age be the deteriminer of whether welding is for You. I am 42 and Back in college learning welding. As others have stated, you are never too old to learn something new. The thing about welding is ...that once you start up and find you do like it, well it really gets in your blood and it seems to be all you think about. That has been my experience. I love everything about welding. Now do your homework concerning which school you want to attend. as "medicinehawk" pointed out, don't get too deep into your pocket just to find out if welding is for you. Best of luck to you!
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By jlile001 Date 04-07-2008 17:43
Jeff,
Thanks for the post.  I hope I have the same experience as you.  I love what I do in the military and could continue doing it after my service but that would require me still being gone overseas most of the time.  I am hoping I will find something that I love to do and can make a good living at the same time.  Thanks, and good on you for finding what you like to do and tackleing it at 42.  jlile001
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-08-2008 04:19
jilile001,
  Thanks for the reply. I was just sitting here and the thought occurred to me. Have you looked into the "helmets to Hard hats" program? I hear it is an excelent way to become exposed to the trades. Just something for you to mull over. Check the VA for the info on this program. As for welding, it is not easy, but if it's worth doing it's worth working at it. I find that my schooling is going quite well. There are many things to consider when thinking about going into this field. One is your occular health. Are your eyes up to the challenge. Then there is the comfort level. How physically comfortable do you feel you need to be. I say this because even in school there are certain welding positions that require you to endure a certain level of discomfort. This is true especially when welding SMAW (stick) process. I am not in any way trying to discourage you from pursuing a career in the welding field. I only say this from experience...like tonight's class. I am almost done with the 4 month SMAW (stick) welding portion of my course. Tonight i was welding in the overhead position and i found it to be quite a challenge to to run a good bead on a Tee joint while reaching over my head. Now din't let that discourage you either...you get used to it. I finally got tired of holding the weight of the Stinger lead, and decided to drape the heavy beast over my shoulder. That solved the weight issue. I have 4 weld joints to perform in this position, and numerous samples of each weldment to produce in the next couple of weeks, before i will be allowed to test out of SMAW and move on to GMAW (MIG), then GTAW (TIG), then Finally OAW (Oxy-Aceteylene) welding.
I really think that once you get under the Hood and do your first weld...You'll love it! Best of luck..but it doesn't take luck to be a welder. Just alot of practice. Take care now.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Gardy
Parent - - By Idylwyld (*) Date 04-07-2008 02:01
I am nearing my retirement in the U.S. Army and considering what I want to do for the rest of my life.  I have been interested in welding for some time.  Never tried it, it just seems like an honest living that might be interesting, challenging and maybe profitable

I retired out of the USAF last year, 43 years old.  I followed almost the same path. I got hired on by a start up company.  I asked to be a welder.  I had never welded in my life.  They put about 8 of us thru a  community college stick/TIG/MIG 16 week crash course.  I was pretty frustrated in school, and had about decided I just wasnt going to hack it at welding and it was for the birds. 
Well a year later I am welding every day, mostly stick with a little MIG thrown in and I am happy.  I got over the hump and am getting better all the time. 

I say go for it.  If you like it, its an honest living.  At the least, welding is a useful skill to know. 

Check with the VA on this.  If you get rated 30% or more disabled as you retire, the VA will pay for vocational retraining for you for up to two years.
Parent - - By jlile001 Date 04-07-2008 17:45
Idylwyld,
Congrats on retirement,  sounds like it worked out well since you decided to stick it out.  Good on you.  I will definitely check on the military/VA discounts.  18 years of parachute jumping should get me a discount.  Thanks for the post, it definitely paints a good picture for me.  jlile001
Parent - By Idylwyld (*) Date 04-09-2008 23:04
Just a thought.
Wrangle yourself a 8-4 desk job your last year or so on active duty and start taking a welding class at a CC at night while on active duty.  Puts you a little ahead.

As you get ready to retire its all about you.

18 years of parachute jumping should get me a discount

Between that and humping a lot of weight Id say 40-50 percent is a given. 
Keep in mind, 50% rating or more is concurrent reciept.

A few things I have learned about the VA in my transition.
1) Do not trust the VA to act in your best interests. Delay,delay, deny, deny its their motto.  Ive been offically retired 1 year 30 April 2008 and my claim is still pending.
2) Do not be a hero at the exams.  If it hurts say so, loud and immediately!
3)  I urge you to consider utilizing one of the agencies such as Disabled Veterans of America or VFW.  They will act in your behalf and fight the VA for you.

If I can help in any way let me know.
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-08-2008 04:41
idylwyld,
  Wow, what can I say except that was alot of welding processes to go through in just 4 months. My SMAW (stick) portion of my course is that long by itself. Any way I congradulate you for your perseverence. It's good to hear it when some one posts a good experience. Keep Arcin' and Sparkin"!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-07-2008 06:21
Hello again jlile001, I forgot one other important bit of information that may apply in your situation. I believe all state or federally funded educational facilities are obligated to provide veterans with reduced tuition rates. I am not sure of all of the details of this as there are different classifications for veterans as a result of their levels of service, and other details, however, when you are considering a selection for a school don't forget to include your military status so that you will realize the greatest possible benefit. Just a bit more to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-08-2008 04:33
Hello Allan,
  Very good point for these Military Service men to consider. I know my college gives a points type preference for Veterans and a pretty substantial discount in tuition. I have stated further up in this thead that these veterans might be able to appreciate an even better entrance into the trades through the "Helmets to Hard hats" program. I believe these are offerd through local Employment security offices.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Wondering If I should choose a career in Welding