Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / welding instruction phased out
- - By dnewman417 Date 04-06-2008 04:14
Hi:  I am an adjunct faculty teaching welding at a local Junior College.  The powers that be are trying very hard to phase out all welding instruction at our school.  The basic theory being that it costs too much to teach welding and it doesn't fit with the high tech nature of SF Bay Area business.  Is anyone else experiencing this?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-06-2008 05:36
Hello dnewman417, there are probably individuals that would number into the thousands that would concur with your observations. Take a look at the metals programs and any other trade based programs available(or not) at many high schools and middle schools, they are being phased out all the time due to budgetary restrictions. I don't know that you can completely blame the administrators of the schools, it is likely that the general public, state legislators, congressmen, state representatives, and many other individuals that are responsible for class offerings and funding for these classes that could be included as well.
     Higher Education isn't generally thought to include the trades, yet everyone thinks that our youth should be striving to get an education,.... higher education, but not the one that includes the trades as I already mentioned. So the bean counters look at students being served by trade related education and consider the ratio of students to dollars and decide that trades cost too much to teach and the other classes that don't require all of that equipment, supplies, and other stuff are much better deals. After all, they have individuals that earn degrees and go on to much more school and after their graduation from many of these 4-year institutions they can earn less than those who pursue trades and they can also have those really nifty students loans and private loans to pay-off for the next 10 years or more which generally doesn't apply to a trade educated individual.
     To get to the heart of your question, I would definitely agree with your observations and also say that many schools are facing the very scenario that you have mentioned. I could go on for way more time than I have to post here, you would also likely fall asleep, or I would, by the time that I had fully included all of my thoughts on this topic. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 04-07-2008 15:12
I am a firm believer that there should be strings attached for funding in education. With a national shortage of welders if schools cut out welding programs then they should have to give up the funding...not just use it somewhere else. Just one of the points I made in the Plummer Lecture at the welding show.
Andy
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-09-2008 17:02
My kid's high school just got a $14 million stadium for its football team, but I can't hire a guy to pull a trigger here to save my life.

Just to add to Allan's statement of cheerful misery, I believe that the problem lies in two different areas.  First, American youth is lazy.  Don't want to work for a living, don't want to get dirty.  Second, American high schools have been pushing the idea that if you don't go to college then you'll never amount to anything.  Go learn how to be a good little white-collar drone.  Those "dirty" jobs are for suckers who can't afford college, right? 
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 04-09-2008 18:30
No, the full message is those "dirty" jobs are for suckers who are too *dumb* for college.  I'm still in the process of unlearning that.

Hg
Parent - By arrowside (**) Date 04-09-2008 22:34
"I'm still in the process of unlearning that."

Thank you! That will be going into my 1 liner cache'
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 01:25
Gentlemen,
  Although it is a sad deal that the schooling in many areas is being cut back, employers that value welders and their abilities are, in my experiance upping the amount and level of on the job training. This by no means replaces the need for schooling to learn the basics in a controlled learning environment. But it does contribute. I believe that a basic welding 101 is essential in the learning process. Although there is a point where, depending on what the long term goals of the individual are, schooling could become a redundant misuse of time. You have to crawl before you can walk, but once you can walk, run with it.
Parent - By Christian Baumberger (*) Date 12-28-2008 22:52
Luckily, our enrollment is through the roof.
They would be foolish to make cutbacks.
In general, I'd like to see more respect given to the trades by society.
People take for granted the hard work it takes to build the bridges they drive over, maintain electrical plants, etc.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / welding instruction phased out