Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UT Question
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 04-06-2008 22:28
The shop im working in UT's some of the jobs we do depending on the customers specifications but in as long as I have been there we have never had a UT jod come back with a defect. They also X-Ray other jobs and many of them have come back with bad shots. My question is can X-ray pick more things up than UT? Just kind of curious.
Parent - - By chrisodom980 (*) Date 04-06-2008 23:14
yes an xray can shoot the weld all the way through where as UT u can only see from the surface. X ray u can see from the inside, out.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-07-2008 05:55 Edited 04-08-2008 04:55
No way does xray pick up more than UT. It is the other way around. Ut can scan the entire volume of weld, where as RT is limited to perpendicular energy orientation. Trial after trail (pani and others) have proven that beyond a shadow of doubt.
Both UT and RT are listed as volumetric methods, but of the two, only UT is a true volumetric method.

If you look to ASME BPV code section V article 1, you will see a chart for the various methods. RT is listed as limited for a reason.
Consider this simple experiment:

The UT waveform will reflect, refract, and otherwise bounce all around inside the material depending on angle of incidence.
Light in water behaves much like an ultrasonic waveform. Take a flashlight, a sink full of water, and a couple table spoons of any convenient small particles such as can be found in an old spice rack, or salt the water past saturation as I did. Shine a mini mag light from under the water up.
what you will see in the attached example is that the light refracts from the surface of the water due to the air above it being such a difference in density/velocity of travel for the light. (same thing for UT waveform) It's called the Transmission and Reflection coefficients.
That is derived from z= p*v (z=acousitical impedance p=material density  and v equals velocity the energy travels through the material at) that number in turn is converted to R= (Z2--Z1)2 / (Z2 + Z1)2 where z1 and 2 are velocity in medium 1 and 2.
This combined with some basic physics and snells law means the light hits the less dense air for which most of it cannot escape back into the air at the interface of water/air due to that reflection coefficient. (Had it been ultrasound, it would have barely leaked out, unlike the visible light spectrum you see in this example, but the theory is the same)
Snells law comes into play in calculating at what angle and at what mode of transfer it continues it's journey in. But the bottom line is, you try that with a high energy source such as x ray, it's going to punch straight up and out rather than the large majority of energy being held within such as can be seen in this picture.
that is why x ray/radiography is limited to orientation.
Parent - - By chrisodom980 (*) Date 04-07-2008 23:55
than why is that most of your critical welds are x ray insteat of ut ( boiler tubes ,high pressure steam pipe). I am not being sarcastic just would like to know?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-08-2008 00:50
Can't get the transducer mouse between the space of the membrane on water wall tubes, X-ray provides a permanent record for all parties to review. And what do you consider "critical"? A failure in the moment frame of a skyscraper located on the San Andreas/Hayward Fault confluence (during a 7.0 richter shaker) can jeopardize far more human and animal lives and collateral damage than say a blown super heater tube in a power boiler. Not all discontinuities are created equal when it comes to the static pressure of piping vs. the dynamic stresses of certain structural applications.
I used to toss and turn in sleepless fits at night pondering this very same issue until I diversified into the D1.1, D1.4, and FEMA 353 (D1.8) world. Now I question my career move from a highly motivated and dedicated Implant Inspector at the "Eager Beaver" to an unappreciated, production halting QC at "Inclusions-R-us Bridge and Iron".
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-08-2008 01:01
X-ray is far more "Viewer Friendly" to the Unenlightened/untrained. You can see the weld edges and ripples on the picture, point to a black spot and tell someone, "yeah, see that slag right there! Oh oh , look at that big fish-eye in the root. I kinda question the NEVER? (ever?) had a reject under UT evaluation????
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-08-2008 01:22
On a weld for weld basis, that status quo is changing as we speak for the reasons I've already listed.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-08-2008 02:07
okwelder82,

Since you are not seeing any welds rejected by UT, it may be to your advantage to perform UT on some of the joints that fail RT.  Now, considering that the acceptance criteria are expressed in different values (dimension in RT, indication rating in UT), it is possible that some discontinuities rejectable by one method may be acceptable by another.  My point is not to compare apples to oranges with regards to acceptability, but rather to confirm the detection by UT of an indication shown by RT.  UT requires a different level of skill when performing the examination and interpreting the results. 

In other words if you find a 1/2" long slag line with RT, scan the weld using UT to confirm that it can be detected.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-08-2008 05:30
Another thing to add to that thought. There is a reason API 620 appendix U, ASME code case 2235, and others now allow levels of "planar" defects.
For instance, RT criteria per Section VIII div 1 UW51 is 0 planar defects. (cracks, lack of fusion). Whereas UT allows a specific area of planars.
RT will not see cracks and lack of fusion as efficiently as UT will. This is the primary reason for the differences in acceptance criteria.

On the other hand, if voluminous defects such as porosity and slag are found, Standard UT will be diffused by these types of indications. This is where
RT once surpassed UT. However; with the advent and use of phased array and other more advanced techniques, the gap for detection of this type
of indication has been closed. Speaking of boiler tubes, and other small diameter tubes, UT was once unable to perform this inspection adequately,
this to has been handled by advanced techniques.
All in all, the clock is ticking on the usefulness of RT as UT gains more and more acceptance in the industry, which is in no small part supported by
recordable graphics displays in 3 dimensional format. Some of the die hard RT types are still hanging on to it, but at the end of the day, the risk
of RT are beginning to be outweighed by the benifits of UT. RT's coffin is in the making, after all, why go through the headache of licenses, regulatory
matters, and health risk when a viable alternative exist that presents none of those concerns?
I will leave it with a quote from an ASME code interpretation that speaks directly to the shifting mindsets currently taking hold in the industry:

Interpretation: VIII-1-04-95
Subject: Section VIII, Division 1 (2001 Edition, 2003 Addenda); UW-11(a) and Code Case 2235-6
Date Issued: May 31, 2006
File: BC04-1455
Question (1): Is it the intent of Code Case 2235-6 that when portions of the vessel meet the requirements
of UW-11(a) for full radiography and portions meet the requirements of Code Case 2235-6 for using ultrasonic
examination in lieu of radiography, the vessel nameplate be stamped with "RT-1"?
Reply (1): Yes, provided the extent of examination, joint efficiencies, and the Code Case are noted on the
Manufacturer's Data Report and the nameplate is marked under the Code Symbol stamp by applying "UT."
Question (2): May a vessel nameplate be stamped "RT-2" per the rules of UG-116 of Section VIII,
Division 1 when a complete vessel satisfies the requirements of UW-11(a)(5) and when the spot radiography
requirements of UW-11(a)(5)(b) have been applied, but when ultrasonic examination in accordance with the
provisions of Code Case 2235-6 has been used in lieu of radiography?
Reply (2): Yes, provided the extent of examination, joint efficiencies, and the Code Case are noted on the
Manufacturer's Data Report and the nameplate is marked under the Code Symbol stamp by applying "UT."

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-08-2008 13:08
Gerald,

I too have followed the industry trends as UT has become more "accepted" as a test method by various Code bodies, DOT and customer specifications  etc. The code case you mentioned as well as UT being used on things like cross country pipelines (which were always considered RT territory) are good examples.  I'm sure there are many other industries where this is taking place too. 

Sadly, even though ASME, API etc., are allowing provisions for using UT, the final okay still requires AI, engineer, or customer approval. In my neck of the woods RT is very popular but the quality of RT technicians is in a downward spiral causing a confidence issue that is bleeding over into other NDT methods.   50% of my clients use out sourced RT contractors on a regular basis, some have 250K to 500K annual RT budgets and there is not one that is totally satisified with the service they are receiving.  Granted, there are some issues with availability of crews in general, but until some of the issues with incorrect techniques, mis-intrepetation, missed defects etc. is corrected in a trusted method like RT, I'm not sure how soon UT will be able to replace it.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 00:59
The sooner the better in my opinion. I've a lot more faith in UT than RT.
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 04-09-2008 03:47
Me too.

I used to be a radiographer and I am happy that I was provided with the opportunity to switch to become an AUT hand.
I have been on jobs where RT comes in behind us after we call cracks. I have seen the film that was shot and talked to the radiographers and there was nothing on the film for them to see but clean weld. They even cut the welds out and macroed them to be sure. The one radiographer said to me I can't even begin to imagine how many cracked welds I have buried under my belt.

There is a market for boiler tubes and I am sure that someone is working on a solution. I can imagine that once they get it right just about every weld will be a reject.

The computerized UT has permanent records as well which was a major factor in not using UT. They don't deteriorate like x-ray film and you can put thousands upon thousands of welds on an external hard drive. You'd need a box truck for that much x-ray film.

The downside is the prep time as far as cal blocks being made, the surface needs to be prepped more etc. RT can just show up and slap a film on a weld and blast it no matter how dirty it is or if the coating isn't cut back and with different wall thicknesses. We need a little more time. If everything is ready I can scan a couple of welds and either clear them or reject them faster than I could go into the darkroom and load a single film.

I don't miss the days of monitoring barriers in a paper mill when I watched a guy with a cart full of scaffolding actually grab our sign, read it and then ram his cart through it breaking it. Or having to talk to the state NRC people because my helper told someone that crossed our barrier that his teeth or hair might begin to fall out any second.

I doubt that RT will completely die out. There will always be people who need to see inside of something without breaking it open. But as far as cross country pipelines consider it extinct.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 04-09-2008 15:14
I'm contemplating allowing phased-array UT in place of RT on a D1.5 job.  Any advice for how to set up criteria, etc.?  I don't want to just use an ASME code; the idea is to reject the same flaws that would have been rejected with a combination of RT and conventional UT under D1.5.

I do have a contact at Olympus.  Does anyone have someone I might contact at ASME to find out how they managed to get comfortable with going the no-RT route?

Hg
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 16:37
I believe if you call the new york office of ASME and get in contact with Wayne Hembree, he could probably steer you in the right direction.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 04-09-2008 18:23
The biggest problem that we see here in NY is the shortage of qualified UT techs.  I would love to see UT replace RT but there are some situations where RT is the viable alternative even with all of its drawbacks.  Part of the problem  with UT, is employer based certification programs. Testing isnt standardized from employer to employer, which is the reason that here in NY, you have to pass our test before you do UT on our bridges.  We see guys come in to take our test that dont have a clue what they are doing. 
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 04-10-2008 01:45
We have to have outside certs be it ASNT, CGSB or PCN since we work all over the world. Only in the states are they allowed to work under company or union cert. Hopefully that will change.

We were shut down in Brazil because they didn't think that the ASNT and PCN certs meet the requirements of some ISO regultation. It was finally resolved and we were covered.

Do you need to take a NY DOT test if you have an outside cert? I used to do a lot of bridge work RT and UT.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 02:41
I'm not impressed those of PCN origin. I've had two of them tell me at different times when looking at the RF waveform that it's a "TOFD" signal, and both wanted to argue that TOFD "was the first time it was ever used". They never heard of a delta test, nor many other things I'd expect of someone with a central cert. All in all, they were a bit to much on the arrogant side for the amount of ignorance displayed.
As for changing, it's in progress. It's called ISO standardization. People are kicking and screaming, but it's coming, just will take a while.
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 04-10-2008 03:20
Well I have no idea what the delta test is. I didn't invent the thing. I do know what an RF signal is because I used it to check babbit bearings. That's how the TOFD signal is diplayed in the A scan.

The nuke guys use it alot with hand units. I won't even get involved in a pissing match with them.  Hands down they are way better hand scanners.

I'm a pipeliner. I like this type of job.

At the same time I worked with a few that went back to working that way instead of pipelining. It suited them better.

I have seen and heard of plenty of people who are arrogant. It can and will get you run off. But at the same time you need a thicker skin than most.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 04-11-2008 12:43
We require that anyone performing UT on New York State Bridges must pass our test.  Its a three part test, same as most places with a general, specific with questions coming from the New York State Steel Construction Manual and then the practical.  The practical is tough, you MUST understand where your sound is in order to be able to pass.  New York City does not require the cert and they have paid the price in the past.
Dave
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 04-11-2008 16:23
When do you put on this this test? Can I show up and take it for free since it is a DOT test? I'd like to take it.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 04-11-2008 17:15
The test is given anytime, and yes its free. You would need to call Bob Cosgrove to schedule a test.  His number is 518-485-7253.
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 04-11-2008 17:34
Thank you
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 04-10-2008 02:15
The system would have to be set up according to that code.

If you're going to scan D1.5 you'll need to conform to that as a minimum if it is allowed. You can add to it but not take away. Not sure how it would work but in pipeline they actually use job material to make calibration blocks according to the code.

AWSs uses IIW blocks. The wedges I am using are actually wider than the IIW block where you check for distance and sensitivity.

It can and will work out faster safer but there is a lot of leg work. At the present time we are not allowed to scan transitions but they can be done. You'd need a special cal block for that.

Check these guys out.

www.utscan.com
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-10-2008 03:46
talking about x-ray test I don't know if this is BS or what so I just soon ask. I have never done a x-ray weld test yet but was told that if your root is maybe not 100% on a pipe that if you run stringer passes that the stringer passes could hide any defects you may have in your root and maybe will not show up on X-ray this is tig welding a pipe from root to fill and cap. or is it just harder to pick up on and the person reading the x-ray just may not see it as easy. I was always taught stringers were stronger then one big weave and this person also said he thought a bend test was harder to pass then an x-ray.

Can anyone shed a little light on this subject??

Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-10-2008 10:28 Edited 04-10-2008 10:43
chris2698,

To some degree, an as-welded surface can "mask" the image in a radiograph since the image of the cap is directly in line with the image of the root. For example, adding higher stringers to the cap directly over an area where you suspected something like a concave root or internal undercut may hide that condition to some degree as the additional weld metal would balance out the density (darkness of the film) in that area.  Concave areas show up darker than the surrounding weld, higher or additional stringers on the cap, if placed correctly, would provide additional weld metal in that area, which in turn would change the image on film.  Trying to hide something like incomplete penetration is almost impossible. 

Most codes have provisions for grinding the surface of the weld if there is concern that something will mask the radiographic image.  In the old days, the caps I hated were the 1" wide, figure 8 pattern weaved ones which had several densities on the films.  My favorite ones would have to be a rolled-out one pass cap with 7018.

You will hear many theories on destructive (bend tests) verses nondestructive weld tests (like an x-ray test). One thing to consider right off the bat is the number and size of the bend coupons verses the length of weld that is radiographed.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-11-2008 01:02
thirdeye and Richard Cook thanks I have always kinda wonderd about the stringer passes. I haven't had to take a x-ray weld and I'm not saying I want to learn a method of how to beat the system but was currious about it, someday I may have to take a x-ray test
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 04-11-2008 04:20
Well those days are over. You can't hide that stuff from AUT. I even told the welders that. I told the forman not to change guys out because they went for almost a month witout e wedling defect. They went to .618" pipe and they had one guy that really screwed the entire crew's repair rate in 2 days. The foreman asked me if it was the welder.
I don't know. It's either the welder or the the grinder. I can't know. I mention things like if he he put a new grinder on that side of the pipe. The foreman knows what he did and he isn't complaining. He knows who he has where.

I doubt it was a welder problem since he was on the crew that went a month without repairs. I bet it lies with the grinder.
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-11-2008 13:59
Be careful, I hope you are as good as you are representing yourself. I've run across many individuals that were for all intent and purposes, "monkeys" at the controls. It sounds like you might be otherwise.

There are four sets of variables in most process'
1) Material or object under exam
2) Technique
3) Equipment
4) operator
In each of these are conditions and circumstances that would affect the required outcome. Remember the new equipment these day's are computor based, so "garbage in garbage out". Now don't miss understand me I believe in this new equipment and it is great. But don't think for one minute that any of it is fool proof. This equipment has it's application but not in all areas and what the future brings is yet to be seen.

This new equipment does eliminate some variables, which is great, but not all.

That brings me back to the importance of assuring highly qualified operators/technicians. And again if the individual that is buying the services is not familiar with the process, can be "impressed with your intelegence" or they can be baffled with "bull crap".

good luck
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-11-2008 15:27
I would have to echo the be careful statement here. I've seen it done. AUT is performed on tank welds, piping welds, and many other forms.
AUT utilizings many different modes of transfer as well. I do consider it a very good method when properly deployed with proper training and simulation mockups, however; not everyone does this.
There are ways to screw with the AUT operator, and if that operator doesn't have a very good understanding of the waveforms employed, he or she will never know they have been had. This is why I find disturbing the lack of that understanding among some of the european counter parts who have their "AUT" certs, and a large part the same for the U.S. ones. They also need a better than average understanding of welding methods and basic metallurgy. All of which apply to manual types as well. This gets into two different classifications:

Operator: This type simply runs the machine. Their training doesn't explain why the UT waveforms are doing what they are doing, but rather, goes on the assumption that the operator doesn't need to know. There are a lot of these types out there in AUT. They know from training and their operations manual to set the blocks up in a certain way, to set the tracks just so, watch for lift off, and all things related. However; put a manual scope in their hands to proof up what they find, and they are lost. Further; if that machine does something not covered in the manual, they are lost. If they get a phase reversal from haz crack just outside their gate, They wouldn't know what it was and would let it go. (I've seen that very thing happen). Just to list a few.

Technician: Has a good understanding of echodynamics, can pick up old analog scopes, or new digitals, and cal up and use equally. The can also pick up on those phase reversals without refering to the op manual, and in general, uses the machine as a tool for fact gathering, rather than as a crutch.

My comments earlier about two operators are classic examples of that. They did not understand how those grey and black lines came to be and what the machine was doing to create them. To them; the RF screen was a TOFD screen. They were never trained to read the echodynamics of that RF display. The only thing they knew to do was match an expected response from the TOFD scan window to the RF display for conformation and if it didn't match up, they would ignore it as irrelevant. In short, they don't even watch the scan as it's taking place, but rather, depend on the machine to do it for them. That last part is the biggest problem with it. A monkey can be trained to push the right buttons for an expected response as witnessed by the chimps NASA put into space, but a true technician will be able to read it no matter how much the machine lies to them and can react appropriately when the machine meets up with something outside of normal operating parameters as exemplified by the apollo 13 mission. (especially applicable to those set ups trying to utilize secondary creep)

Having said all that; I am a strong believer in UT of all forms, but there are still many wanna be's out there for my comfort. Those wanna be's give us all a bad name.
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-10-2008 21:29 Edited 04-10-2008 21:34
Neither of the process' are 100%, each has limitations. Radiography, usually preferred due to the fact there is something in hand for further review with out completing the full exam again.

Each are subject to operator variables which can affect the output of said exam. So well experienced technicians are the key to providing the most accurrate results.

There are technique variables that also affect the output of the exam. If the technician is not qualified or experienced enough to recognize these, mistakes will occur that will dramatically affect the results. Ultrasonics at this stage in the game is very operator dependent, and if the exam is not well thought out by the technician the operator will definately miss discontinuities.

With the scenario you described I would question the operators and not the process. This is on of the reasons the Nuclear industry tied up with EPRI on UT certifications. They found less than 30% of the american UT hands could actually complete a proper exam in the beginning. Remember with UT you are taking the word of the operator, radiography you have evidence in hand. Discontinuities fall in all orientations and may not reflect the sound back to indicate a problem. There are options, as to change to different angles and such, but most often you want see the operator doing such and again wouldn't quaranty you catch it.

Radiograpy has it's limitations also, if the operator doesn't control these he will miss indications, even if the best operator controls it well, there are still some conditions that would not be picked up due to the orientation of the indication. I also no that indications can be "created", I had to prove to the radiographer that the transverse crack he was calling was a crack in his poorly kept lead screens. (long story)

It has definately been because of some inhouse certification systems where individuals are certified without proper qualification. But this doesn't mean all inhouse programs are bad, it really falls into what the managers running the program do with it.

The best bet is to assur proper qualifications and experience and to have the operators frequently audited to assure compliance.

good luck
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-11-2008 02:47
"with UT you are taking the word of the operator"
Back in the day of analog scopes, that was true. That factor has been mitigated to a very significant degree with the ability of new UT systems to record the exam.
"Radiography, usually preferred due to the fact there is something in hand for further review with out completing the full exam again"
That to has been changing.
As for EPRI, back in the day of the singular IGSCC exam qualifications, the original PANNI trials were taking place. A good portion of
the PDI (performance demonstration initiative) was prompted by those trials. The machines have gotten better as has training.

As for variant angles of the indication, UT can and does pick those up, especially phased array sectoral scans.
While technology is allowing UT to advance in leaps and bounds, RT has been stagnant with the exception of the CR radiography.

BTW, there have been multiple studies performed including the one quoted here in which planar defects were missed with RT 46
percent of the time, and 12 percent with UT.

As for limitations, if your looking for slag or porosity, RT is for now still the best option, if your looking for cracks or lack of fusion, or any other planar, UT is your best option.

Both methods are dependant on proper utilization and technique. It doesn't matter how good the method is, if the operator is going to screw it up. I've seen a lot of low and high density film, scratches, mottling, artifacts, and many other film quality issues, as well as bad technique come out of RT. The same applies for UT.

Using operator error to judge the quality comparison of two exam methods is like comparing a car thief with a burglar. They are both thieves at the end of the day, regardless of their methods.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-11-2008 11:48 Edited 04-11-2008 12:02
Dead on

But be careful about the "new equipment", in some of the industries they are still out in the future before they are used. The industry I'm in at this time does not include any of this type, "new fangled stuff", even though I've been around it and really, really wish I had it, it will take a hard sale to get it included. I've sat with GE equipment reps, trying to sell to me, but companies like I work for will not invest if what we have "will do." I looked at the rep and told him they need to target the Owner and Engineering groups, these are the ones that will eventually mandate the use in this industry, when they see the benefits of this new technology. And then will companies like mine invest, it's a shame, but thats private industry.

And there are a lot of "theives" out there, so clientele need to be aware they get what they pay for.

I'll keep looking to the future
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UT Question