Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pulse TIG. Any shortcuts?
- - By awill4x4 (**) Date 06-05-2001 12:56
I have just received my OTC hybrid wave inverter AC/DC 300 amp TIG machine today and having had no experience in pulse welding was wondering if there is a general rule about approximate amperage settings for base settings versus peak pulse settings?
For example, if I decide I may need a peak pulse of say 150 amps for a particular application. Is there an approximation of what the base setting should be or is trial and error? EG. Should the base setting be 50% of the pulse setting?
I'm not after propriatry information, just rule of thumb if such a thing exists.
The materials we weld are Aluminium, Stainless Steel and 4130 Chrome/Moly.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - - By Paul Brown Date 06-07-2001 13:51
I have found that 50% on and 50%amperage on the low side works pretty well, use bout 1.5 to 2.5 pulses per second and you can get a nice bead. You may have to increase amperage on the high end, due to the 50% off reduces some of your total heat imput. Good Luck, Paul Brown
Parent - By awill4x4 (**) Date 06-08-2001 12:15
Thanks Paul, I'll give those settings a try.
I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun with my new toy, on hybrid wave settings it gives fantastic fillet welds on Aluminium.
But with all its functions I can see that it's going to take a while to fully understand how to get the best out of it.
Regards Andrew.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pulse TIG. Any shortcuts?