Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / high temp tape
- - By wolfram (*) Date 04-07-2008 22:42
Looking for suggestions on some high temp tape. The application is purge gas sealing when welding coupons or other close to weld sealing. Thanks
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-08-2008 00:05
Semi-clear fiberglass reinforced. It will (the fiberglass strands) hold PWHT ceramic elements in place even after the tape has disentegrated. Great stuff! I used to make a hammock and desk out  of it every night when I was going to college and working night shift start-up on a nuke.
Use aluminum foil to seal off your openings and then secure in place with the tape.
Parent - - By wolfram (*) Date 04-08-2008 02:05
Thanks Superflux. Is this the stuff I can get at Lowes or the like or on-line site.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-08-2008 04:02
Yes. Any well stocked hardware store or industrial supply carries it. Another option is Duct work tape. This is a thin gauge aluminum tape in 2" width used to seal insulated Duct work.
You will probably have to go to an HVAC specialty supplier or contractor to get this stuff. A word of caution though, like the grey duck tape, this will have a lot of glue that can ooze into the weld zone if not careful. Best bet is the fibreglass strapping tape.
Parent - By wolfram (*) Date 04-08-2008 07:04
Thank you
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 04-08-2008 18:02
Praxair sells a foil tape that has the glue on the edges of the tape but not in the weld zone area. Its about 37 a roll for the 3 inch wide and 65 for the 5 inch wide tape. I use this for weld zone area only and use the general foil tape for sealing off on flanges and pipe ends. Its about 6 buck a roll.
Parent - By wolfram (*) Date 04-08-2008 22:38
Great. Thanks cmay
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / high temp tape