Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Having trouble with 6010 root, Please Help!
- - By jminers Date 04-08-2008 01:26 Edited 04-08-2008 02:52
Having trouble getting proper penetration in 45 degree 4G.  Root pass looks flush to concave on back of plate also some undercut on bevels.  Running 1/8 land and gap.  Amps are set around 95, when I try to push through weld snuffs itself out maybe need to up amps?.  Ive taken some welding classes before but have run a 6010 root in about 4 or 5 years.  I don't remember it being this hard.  Just tryin to figure this out on my own.  From Ontario moved to Alberta and challenging the journeyman test.  Hope someone can help gettin pretty frustrated.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-08-2008 13:26
Try increasing the angle on your rod so that your pointing a little more back towards the deposit. This should help increase the convexity of your bead. Make sure you step out enough to let the deposit cool and burn a good keyhole, and then step back in and deposit.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 04-08-2008 13:34
First off make sure you actaully have an 1/8" land and root opening all the way up the plate.  Even try a nickel land (3/32") and cool her down some more and keep it choked. You might want to gap the top end of your plate just a hair wider then the bottom because it will start to close up as you get closer to the top.  95 amps is hot for an 1/8" 6010 which I assume you are using. What dia rod are you running this plate with?  Kind of weird that you are snuffing the arc out at 95 amps with an 1/8" gap.  When you pop off your arc jump right into the gap and keep it choked so you hear all the noise on the other side of the plate and see very little arc on your side of the plate.  Some guys like to keyhole their pipe, but you need to learn both because you never know what kind of fit up you'll get out in the field.  Keyholing your root is a slightly different ball game, but not to much different.
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 04-08-2008 14:04
been a while since i did that test . I did my test on a machine with a soft arc that was hard to push. I know they recommend  1/8 and 1/8 but if you thin the land a little bit it will help push you through . Keep you rod as tight as you can and play wth your rod angle a little bit and you should be able to make your root a little more convex
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 04-08-2008 15:14
Try and decrease your root land to 3/32, and if the root is shallow on the back you need to turn down your heat a touch or your root opening is to wide. Do not let the key hole get bigger then the end of the rod and make sure that you keep the rod on the land, no long arcing. hope that helps.
Parent - - By jminers Date 04-09-2008 01:15
Tested out a few things that i read.  Went with a 3/32 gap and land with a 1/8 rod getting good penetration now and everything is looking better but ive had to up my amps to 102.  Seems high but it just wont push through at around 90-95.  Not to sure what to think.  Thanks for the help, if anyone has anymore tips I would love to hear em!
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 04-09-2008 01:47
are you in edmonton?
Parent - By jminers Date 04-09-2008 02:41
Yeah, I work in Nisku for a downhole service company.
Parent - By jminers Date 04-09-2008 02:43
In Ontario I worked for a small custom fab. and mach. company, didn't really have the need for doin any welds like this for a while so its a little tough getting back into it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Having trouble with 6010 root, Please Help!