Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gas Flow
- - By jimal Date 04-08-2008 15:42
Question-- new to the forum-- Gas flow out of regulator reads 40cfh. Then I check at the gun nozzle with a cup flow meter and it reads 20cfh. If my orings and liners etc are good should I not have the same reading at nozzle that I have at the regulator?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-08-2008 15:47
are they made for the same gas?
Parent - By jimal Date 04-08-2008 15:48
yes
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2008 16:16
I'd say that either 20 CFH is bleeding off somewhere between your regulator and your nozzle, or one (or both) of your meters is off. 
If you are using one of those slip-on flow gages for your nozzle check, it may not be all that precise anyway.  I usually use mine only to get a comparison indication, rather than trusting the numbers.
Parent - By jimal Date 04-08-2008 16:21
will check  both comments thanks for advise
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 04-08-2008 16:34
jimal,

Is it a regulator, flowmeter, or a regulator/flowmeter coming off of the cylinder?
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 04-08-2008 20:23
An Engineer for one of the 'Big Three' welding equipment manufacturers told me awhile back that friction plays a part durring the gas delivery through the hose. Longer the hose - more of a loss in c.f.h. readings at the nozzle. Now, whether you believe that or not...it has some merit. We run about 100 ft. of gas hose off our rigs and the regulators need to be set at around 50 c.f.h. to get 25 at the nozzle. Different story in the shops, with much shorter gas hoses (10ft). There it's about tit for tat. So in my case, even if it was bs it still corrected a problem.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-08-2008 21:15
Increase the size gas hose to 1/2" inside diameter for the 100 feet. Out to about 50' use 3/8" ID.  Another way is to use a pressure regulator at the cylinder and then use the 1/2" hose and connect a flowmeter at the feeder. BTW - You will see a reduction in gas consumption and hard starts if you use a gas surge protector at the feeder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gas Flow