Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto hoods for boiler tube welders...
- - By Oregon Jake (**) Date 04-09-2008 05:22
Do auto-darkening hoods work well when buddy welding on water-wall?  If i'm the wire "feeder" and all I can see is the glowing orange back of the puddle through the backside of the root opening, will the hoods sensors kick in or not? 
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 04-09-2008 21:32 Edited 04-09-2008 21:36
Some do, some don't.  The dead zone when the arc is out of your sight will be a problems with some hoods.  They flash on and off which is not very healthy for the eyes.  You'll need to play around with the sensitivity all the time depending on the lighting, arc reflections, etc.  I gave up on them after getting flashed and use a Jackson with a flip-up for chipping.  Speedglass makes a great hood but the boiler dust and thieves seem to target them pretty hard.  Some guys like the NextGen hoods also.

Suggestion:  Use a #12 shade if GTAW welding.  If you are young, you'll appreciate it when you get older.  Just keep your clear lens clean or change it daily.  You'll get used to it. Guys using #10's while GTAW are killing their eyes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto hoods for boiler tube welders...