Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can orbital tube welders be used for fillet welds?
- - By Ringo (***) Date 04-09-2008 12:24
We are getting some flanges come in that need to be replaced (2" SS Sch.10 socket weld), and engineering thinks we can us an orbital pipe welder to replace them.

I have some prior experience with them on phamiceutical pipe but only on butt welds.Can the orbital tube welder be used for fillet welds?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 13:21
Why would you want to use orbital?
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-09-2008 14:10
For repeatablity,and quality.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 17:07
I understand that, but unless you have something specific in a specification that is driving your application why not use a cheaper quicker alternative?
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-09-2008 19:34
by cheaper anfd quicker do you mean manually?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 20:24
Sure. Manually. Semi auto. GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, SMAW. I haven't seen your spec. I don't know what you are and are not allowed to do.
Orbitals are good for specific applications (for example small bore alloy thin walls, restricted space, etc), though quite expensive. But under most circumstances the repeatability and quality of manual and semi auto welds can be performed more than adequately.
I would not guess that fillet welds is a place where they are cost effective.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-10-2008 10:11
It would definatly have to be GTAW,its thin wall stainless 1.5".We may have to go the manual route,because I don't think the head will fit where we need it to.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 13:17
Not being sarcastic, but manually you could probably have 5 welds done before you even get the head on.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-09-2008 13:38
What thickness range?  Do you have wire feed capability?

We use our Orbitig orbital tube welders to make small (.030-.035") autogenous fillet welds all the time.  They are really lap joints, but the weld ends up as a fillet.

The welds will have some concavity or radius though.  They are only a problem with tiny autogenous fillets made in some superalloys that are crack prone.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-09-2008 14:13
.025-.035 thickness range,I think we could do autogenese,but I don't know if the head would fit,because its a tee contection approx. 1.5 in. from the main pipe.It's a bleed air manifold off of a Jet engine.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-09-2008 14:18 Edited 11-11-2013 13:45
We use our orbitals to make jet engine parts too.  I always have issues in design reviews about fits inside the weld head.  Our weld head has the collets about 2 inches away from the weld joint.  Any bends or other geometry near the weld joints kill the use of the orbital and we are forced to weld by hand.  It keeps our manual welders happy.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-09-2008 14:33
The repair we have is after they have been in service,and the flanges are cracking in the HAZ (I assume from heat fatigue,and vibration).We may have to go the manual route,but we don't have any pipewelders here other than myself,and I'm in quality.I've been trying to search the web to see if someone makes a small head that would fit into the space.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 04-11-2008 23:34
AMI and Dimetrics both make limited clearance (D or 81) weld heads and socket weld heads. If you can keep fits in front of a qualified operator you can blow the production and quality of a manual welder out of the water. However I do emphasize QUALIFIED as in this isn't a button pusher operation like an enclosed fusion tube head. These machines also require more maintenance and care. The company I'm currently working for is one of the big names in auto pipe/tube welding and overlays and they have a fleet of technicians maintaining their equipment.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 04-12-2008 16:34
  Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the size and thickness range. Try an AMI 4500 head with collets on one side and covers on the other(non clamping). This is a tight clearance head that goes from 1.5" to 4" I think, although I'm not exactly sure of the max and minimum diameters. There are plenty of fillet welds made with orbital heads but most of the time they're .065 and thinner. Depending on clearances in the head bent tungsten and tungsten offsets will also buy you added clearance.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 04-15-2008 11:25
Thanks,I'll look into that.Maybe they could send a rep down here to give a demo.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can orbital tube welders be used for fillet welds?