Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / cwi seminar dallas tx
- - By willbergj (**) Date 04-09-2008 13:29
last week i took the seminar in dallas and wanted to openly thank scott helzer for a very informative week.  i have never had to learn so much in one week in my entire life.  if anyone has any questions about the cwi exam and the d1.1 code i will be glad to help while it is fresh on my mind.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 04-16-2008 01:44
Glad to hear it went well for you. I was supposed to attend the seminar here in Albuquerque next month in May, where Scott Helzer  is supposed to be the instructor. Unfortunately we (the company I work for) missed the deadline to attend that particular seminar. Looks like I will probably be going either to Denver or Phoenix now. I plan on testing for D1.1m and I've been studying the Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors (CM:2000). I haven't had any trouble with the  questions in this book so far, but I have only read up as far as chapter 8, Destructive testing, this section is a bit foreign to me, but so far hasn't been too bad. Did you ever read through the CM:2000, and if so, how do the actual test questions compare to the questions in the manual? How much knowledge and experience did you have prior to attending the seminar?

Thanks
Jason
Parent - By willbergj (**) Date 04-16-2008 15:10
no prior experience
there were alot of questions on ndt (rt,ut,pt,ect.) spend alot of time on this chapter.  other than that the general knowledge part was, i think, relitively easy.  the questions in the  Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors  seemed simular and did help me.

HOWEVER the d1.1 and the visual were very difficult for me, only because of the 2 hour time limit to take the test.  make your self very familiar with the d1.1 so you can navigate the code book quickly.  the practice exam took me 5 hours to complete, but it must be done in 2 hours.

to save time on the practical (part B)  use the 6 inch ruler to measure almost everthing (porosity and all discontinuities).  i think the only tools i used were the fillet gage and the ruler.  we recieved a practice exam for the visual and i did well on it and within the time restraint, but the actual visual test took me the full 2 hours and i rushed to do that.  in other words the practice and the actual exam were very different or i should say worded different...

i recomed getting the 2.4 and the 3.0 and study both.  they give these book to you at the seminar, but there is so much info in such a short time you wont have enough time to study it all.

hope this helps any other questions let me know
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / cwi seminar dallas tx