Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Official Interpretation turn around time
- - By rickc (**) Date 04-10-2008 18:16
Any experience with turn around time on official interpretations? We're going on over 6 months and it's "still under review by the relevant subcommittee."
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 04-10-2008 19:05 Edited 04-10-2008 19:11
Set your expectations low.

That said, 6 months is really not unreasonable, depending on your inquiry.  An easy question might be handled with the subcommittee and task group chairs and a handful of other people by email.  A question whose answer might need some debate might have to wait for the semi-annual D1 committee and subcommittee meetings and have the answer voted on, and there's your 6 months right there.  The less obvious the answer, the more levels the answer needs to go through, and if there's some major code work going on at the same time, your inquiry might be too far down on the agenda to make it into discussion before they run out of time.

Then there was the snarky D1 secretary of yesteryear who declined one of my inquiries solely on the grounds that it wasn't in the form of a yes/no question, even though I'd even offered to rewrite the inquiry in whatever format they wanted (I was just forwarding it from someone else) and no one had taken me up on that offer.  I pointed out that the Annex governing inquiry format did not require yes/no questions, and next thing I knew the chair of D1.5 was calling my boss telling him I'd gotten the guy upset... (I get along with him great these days, and he denies any recollection of said incident.)

I guess the short answer is set your expectations low.

Hg
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-10-2008 19:28
I've had an inquiry in for 5 months, and knowing the speed of volunteer committees sometimes, I haven't even bothered to check yet.  (Meanwhile, no work is hanging in the balance thankfully)
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 04-10-2008 21:38
Yep, it was on the agenda and discussed at least on semi-annual meeting. I'd like to think that this means we asked a good question.

Now, that I'm thinking about it what's required/involved with becoming a member of the committee? I see the application on the website but, there isn't any general information on committee membership.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 04-10-2008 22:14
Best way to get on the committee is to fill out an application and then keep showing up to meetings.  As far as I know, it's not strictly first-come-first-served.  If they know who you are, know you're willing to participate (and you're more than welcome to volunteer to do stuff even if you're not on the committee), then you ought to have an edge over a name on a piece of paper. 

I don't know whether they also try to maintain a balance among different facets of industry.  They might.

"The committee" is actually a subcommittee and a group of standing task groups.  Easiest is probably to get on one of the task groups (pick your favorite D1.1 chapter).  Main committee membership is *very* hard to get, but all the tech talk happens at the lower levels anyway.  Also the task groups are a lot more open to chatter from the peanut gallery.

Hg
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 04-11-2008 19:05
Go here: http://www.aws.org/w/a/survey/standard?survey_start=techapplication

Click on the link that says "committee membership letter". It appears to be a little introductory letter to committee membership.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 04-11-2008 19:27
Thank you but, there's still no useful information there. What are the qualifications required to become a member? What are the duties/responsibilities of members? Are there dues/fees? The list of committee's doesn't include them all. Does that mean that they are only looking for help on those specific subcommittees? ... Etcetera, etcetera.

I think I'll take Hg's advice and check out a meeting next time it's convenient.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 04-11-2008 20:04
No dues/fees, other than travel costs for meetings.  I don't think you even really have to be an AWS member though they'd probably prefer it.

Minimal duties are show up, read your email, vote.  If you're a good member, show up, volunteer for task groups, complete your tasks, read your email, use logic, understand compromise, read carefully, vote.

The only absolute qualification is related job experience.  Not everyone's an engineer; not everyone's a welder.  Different committees may have different requirements.

Looking at the online list...I don't know much about any of them other than D1, but for D1 that looks like a complete list of the subcommittees.  D1A through D1E got demoted to standing task groups under D1Q, the subcommittee for the D1.1 book.  But those task groups also might be looking for members, and they've still retained traces of the old subcommittee process even with the new task group system.  I'm really not sure how it works any more, whether membership on those standing TGs automatically makes one eligible for D1Q membership, whether they control membership on the TGs as closely as they controlled it when they were still subcommittees, etc.  Best bet is to contact the committee secretary and ask.

Hg
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 04-11-2008 20:13
There are no base qualifications required; however, it helps if you know something about the scope of the work the committee is addressing.

Members are expected to attend meetings. The number of meetings varies depending on the committee. Some meet 4-5 times a year, others never. How never? Some committees only meet via teleconference. But if you want to be on a committee that does meet then you will need to find a way to pay for travel and accommodations for the meeting. AWS does not pay for travel or accommodations for committee members. The support of your company is really helpful with this.

Committee members receive documents via email that you need to review and vote on. If a member does not vote frequently enough they can be booted from the committee for not fulling their obligation to review and vote on documents. This may mean reviewing and voting on documents that you were not personally involved with if the document is coming from a committee subordinate to the one on which you are a member. Members on lower level committees in the AWS "tree" do not have to really worry about this; members on higher level committees may have many committees beneath them requiring review of dozens of documents a year.

There are no dues or fees to become a member but committee officers must be AWS members so there is the cost of the AWS membership to consider if you want to chair an AWS committee. There is also the cost of travel mentioned above to consider as well.

The committee list includes all the technical services committee or the committees responsible for producing AWS standards. It contains all the ones that I am familiar with; I don't see any obvious omissions. Committees for the Welding Handbook, Certification programs, Education programs and such are not technical committees, per se, so they are not on this list; however, if you are interested in a committee not on the list put it on the application. I'm sure it will get routed to the right person. Membership on the highest AWS committees, such as the Board of Directors, is done either through elections, nominating committees, or appointment by other AWS members in high level offices.
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 04-11-2008 20:16
Ah, "task groups" explains it. Thank you both very much!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Official Interpretation turn around time