Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best choice
- - By racer12c Date 04-10-2008 21:53
I'd like to get a Miller Tig/Stick welder for sidework (I already work in a shop).  I just would like to get some opinions on which model would be best.  I like the dynasty machines but I hear they break down, a lot lol.  I don't know much about the Maxstar, seems good, but like most I would need to get a cooler.  Then I think about the synchrowave 200 or 250, I have used synchrowaves in the past and have loved them but is one of these better than the other and for what reasons. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-11-2008 04:39
    The syncrowaves have less electronic components [than the inverters], which means they might have fewer or less expensive problems, however they are not as efficient electricly as an inverter machine.

The 250 is quite a bit more powerfull than the 200, if You are going to TIG weld thicker aluminum, You might need the power.

I would probably go with the Syncrowave 250 of the machines You listed. If You don't need square wave AC You might look into a used Dialarc HF or an older 320 or 330 A B/P.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-11-2008 19:41
True the Syncrowave 250 has a higher amperage output. But, the Dynasty 200 DX will weld what the Syncrowave 250 can. Just set the Square wave AC balance to control to 75% time at negative. Set the AC frequency to 100 - 120 hertz. Set the amperage at 175 amps and weld 1/4" thick aluminum. That is if you are welding aluminum. If you need higher duty cycle the Dynasty 350 will provide the capability. And, all by using a lower input amperage, fuses/breakers and wiring.
Three years with my Dynasty 200 no problems whatsoever.
Question, why do printed circuit boards fail?  --Because they can!
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-11-2008 16:39
If all you're doing is small stuff, the maxstar 150 is a good deal.  As long as you have a 120vac/20a common receptacle, you're good to go.  Anything bigger, yeah the sync 250 is a nice machine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best choice