Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / spatter
- - By Quality0537 (*) Date 04-11-2008 13:55
I am wondering where I can find information on any detrimental effects of spatter, aside from the obvious cosmetic or fit up of components. I am guessing possible star cracks, acceleration of corrosion due to uneven coatings etc, but cannot find anything specific on the matter,

Thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-11-2008 14:29
Don't forget cost in filler lost.... Here is a great thread about spatter... Pay particular Attention to MGD Custom's postings
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=40543;hl=spatter%20pounds#pid40543
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2008 14:48
What welding process are you seeing the spatter with?

With Fluxcore.....Spatter can be minimized simply through process control.....spatter doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. If I walk through our shop and see fireworks shooting over a guys head while he's welding I slip over to see what the heck is going on. Too little voltage or too much wire feed speed are the usual culprits.....if the welder has his machine set fairly balanced (voltage to WFS) the spatter is so minimal and can be easily brushed off without too much trouble. Big ole globs of spatter indicates a problem....
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-11-2008 15:20
Spatter, may be unacceptable for cosmetic reasons alone, but it can cause other problems. Spatter may inhibit the application of coatings or initiate corrosion.
Spatter can be dangerous in the case Quenched and tempered steels as it may cause the formation of untempered Martensite in the base MTL. Surface irregularities caused by spatter could also lead to fatigue cracks. I would guess it's also possible that like arc strikes spatter could cause localized hardening.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2008 15:55
Mike, I totally agree with you.... the spatter is most likely taller than the film thickness of the coating that is being applied, all of these high spots are places that the coating can be compromised and a place for corrosion to start.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-11-2008 17:34
As for stainless steel weld spatter is the "kiss of death", since under each bead it leaves a metallurgically bonded spot of metal having diluted chromium on the stainless
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-11-2008 17:57
There is simply no excuse for the existence of spatter. And I enforce its removal in virtually every application of which I influence. Having said that it is predominantly for aesthetic reasons and professionalism, though the exceptions posted duly noted.
However, I would like to argue perhaps to stimulate, that if spatter can cause untempered martensite, it can just as easily cause acicular ferrite which can actually increase toughness. Martensite results from higher alloy content and rapid cooling rates. Acicular ferrite results from lesser alloy content (often microalloying) and rapid cooling rates. Not to mention that a rapid cooling rate (rapid enough to be considered quench cooling) can reduce the grain size of a large grain material which can improve toughness as well. The very reason that HAZ's in A36 for example can demonstrate better toughness than the unnaffected base metal. Those who have dealt with ASME Section III are very familiar with this phenomena.
As for stainless steel I might argue that if the corrosive medium is on the inside and the spatter is on the outside you are again dealing simply with professionalism and aesthetics.
Bottom line, know your alloy.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-12-2008 02:26
    In the auto frame plant tool & die shop heavy weldments were MIG welded with CO2 & globular transfer [this was in the '80s]. The parts were so gobbed up in large spatter that handeling the parts was dangerous, they would cut bare hands and tear gloves to shreds. The welders didn't clean them up, that was up to the toolmaker to do while the welder read paperback novels.

There was really no excuse for using CO2, as this building was not fed from the bulk system. Since they had to use cylinders, they could have used a mix that supports spray transfer. There were argon/CO2 cylinders in the building left over from prototyping the Hummer frames, so someone knew it was available.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / spatter