Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / cad welding???
- - By Ken377LX (*) Date 06-06-2001 14:19
I had a customer ask about cad(sp?) welding two large gauge cables together end to end.. I had never of this term before. Can someone here explain it?

thanks,
Ken Lanham
amateur welder.
Parent - By Weldmedic (*) Date 06-06-2001 19:21
Cad welding has a common use in the joining of reinforcing steel bars. A sleeve similar to a heavy wall pipe serves as a crucible and is placed over the connection which has a gap between the ends. Thermite powder is poured through a hole which also serves as the ignition point. A oxyacetylene torch is used to ignite the thermite which by the way burns at a furious rate melting the bars together. The result is a full section splice which has strength equal to or greater than the reinforcing steel. I believe that rail tracks are done similarly except that there is a mold serving as a crucible to contain the thermite which does not become part of the finished weld. Cables such as buried grounding grids are done on a much smaller scale to form a permanent joint as mechanical compression connectors can fail over time. Although I have seen cadwelds done to 2 - 1/4 " rebar when I worked in the nuclear construction field, Ive never performed the process. Maybe some other folks can shed some light on this matter.

Steve Dodd
Dodd Welding Services
Newtonsville, OH
DODDWELDS@aol.com
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 08-27-2001 04:26
You can find more detailed info at this site:

http://www.cadweld.com/erico_public/product/Cadweld.asp

Marty
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / cad welding???