Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / NICORE 55
- - By Rick Hoople (*) Date 04-12-2008 03:55 Edited 04-26-2008 04:43
Has anyone out there ever used ESAB wire NICORE 55? We are going to repair some castings and wondered how you think it runs. We will be using the MAG process, 98% ARg - 2% O
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 16:30
As a SCWI I don't recall ever seeing the term MAG in any of the AWS literature or study materials.

You hit a real sore spot with me Rick. As a CWI / CWE, I would expect you to use standard terms and definitions. Most people consider Wisconsin a part of the US, so there's even less of a reason to use nonstandard terms. Get with the program friend.

Al
Parent - - By Rick Hoople (*) Date 04-16-2008 00:40 Edited 04-16-2008 01:26
Hello 803056 (Al)
I knew someone would catch that, and I hoped someone would call me out about the term MAG welding, and you did.  I was chastised for using the term MIG when dealing with a very large German firm a few years ago. During our contract negotiations, our procedure qualifications, and approvals, which I was a part of, they insisted that MAG was the correct term when using anything but all inert gases in any gas mixture for welding. I meant no disrespect to our profession in any way by using that term, and I hope my explanation will help heel your sore spot. I know it's not the proper term, and tried unsuccessfully to make that point to them then. Yes, last I looked you're right, Wisconsin is part of the US, but I just wanted to point out that globally, which is what we deal with more and more now, we must really pay attention to the teminology, because I have seen it butchered by far to many people. I hope I have explained myself well enough, so people don't continue sending me hate mail over this. I only wish I had the book of terms and definitions from the DIN code back then, which is what we had to work to on that project, so I could see if this German welding engineer knew what he was talking about. So, I'm sorry to all for this confusion, and hope we can all remain friends, and colleagues here. Oh, and by the way, I'm going for my "S" next year, so if you're all not to upset with me yet, wish me a good day at that test.

As for the NICORE 55, it's working just fine with a 500°F preheat. We just had to do some weld build-up on some pump castings because a machinest made a .125 mistake, oops.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2008 01:53
Rick,
  I would like to say that we are colleagues and friends. I only hope that you, Al, welderette, and anyone else will return the favor and keep me using proper terminoligy as well as point out the mistakes that I WILL make in the future. And I sincerely do wish you all the best of luck in getting the "S" added to your credentials.

John
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 16:48 Edited 04-14-2008 17:49
Proper terminoligy and the usage of it keeps professionals on the same page, and eliminates confusion. Might as well make a Butt WELD while we are at it. for those wondering, there is no such thing as a butt weld, only butt joints. This is not a bash, I just would expect proper terminoligy from a CWE. Complacency only leads down hill. This is not befitting of a man at your level of education. JMO FWIW

jrw

Edit: BTW I have no first hand experience with this wire and in asking a few of my coworkers came up with nothing, sorry.
Parent - - By welderette (**) Date 04-14-2008 19:29
Hey JRW,
You might want to review the ASME piping codes in terms of butt welding. For starters try ASME B31.1: Section 111.2 &  Section 127.4.2 & Figure 127.3 .  If that does not convince you try ASME B31.3  Start with  the index under " butt weld", the entries are too numerous to list.  This is not a bash, just a gentle reminder that the field of welding is HUGE and a person can learn something new everyday (the best days).  The level of a persons education is not a finite value, but a work in progress.  We become complacent when we believe that we know everything and make sweeping statements that come back to embarrass us.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 19:45
welderette,
  While I do not have B31.1 or B31.3 in front of me, I do beleive that you are correct in the fact that ASME referes to butt "welds" I do not beleive the intent is the weld, but the joint configuration. In my opinion this is improper terminoligy as for types of welds there is, to my limited knowledge, no weld labeled "butt weld" and I am fairly sure that AWS does not refer to "butt welds" but rather "butt joints" welded with a "groove weld". As for the rest of your response, Thank you for the gentle reminder, but rest assured, I am but a work in progress and am well aware of it. I will not be embarrassed even if I am wrong, due to the fact that I learn something new everyday whether I want to or not. Thank you very much for the constructive criticism.

John
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2008 00:41 Edited 04-15-2008 00:46
[deleted]
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 04-15-2008 01:04
I think he typed "A" instead of "I".  Attention to detail...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2008 02:27
Good catch.

Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-15-2008 05:48
I would buy that if "A" was even close to "I". Attention to keyboard detail...

jrw
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-16-2008 02:55
If you had only said that you were working with the Germans we would have understood the term MAG. I believe it stands for "Metal Active Gas" welding (I believe they drop the "W"). The active gas being what we refer to as a reactive gas such as CO2 or a mix of CO2 with an inert gas. The Europeans use different terminology. For instance, the British use Manual Metal Arc Welding instead of Shielded Metal Arc Welding if I recollect properly.

It important (to me at least) to know what welding standards are being used. That help to put us all on the same page, singing from the same sheet of music, marching to the same drummer. You get my drift.

I'm sure Stephan could shed some more light on the subject if he were available. We haven't heard from him in some time. He must be you to his "butt weld" in alligators with his new position.

Yea, we're still friends. It would take more than a slip of the tongue, I mean fingers, to disrupt this community. You have to admit, this is a tough crowd! :)

Best regards - Al :)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2008 03:03
Al,
  This is somthing that I must become familiar with as well. Sometimes I forget that there are other countries that are involved in this industry. I would someday like to venture out into that world, but obviously I am not ready for that yet.

John
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-16-2008 04:40
I have a cupple rolls of "MAG welding wire"  as printed on the box, from Korea. I hope it knows how to run on an American machine in America. [I havn't tried it yet]
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-16-2008 14:09
Dave,
  Just out of curiosity, how did you come across that?

John
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-17-2008 03:38
     I buy a lot of stuff from an industrial surplus dealer, just this week I got the grinder wheel nuts mentioned in another post, a roll of .045 Hobart Tripple 7 wire, and another Miget spool gun, as well as some machine shop & other welding stuff.

These items come from industrial auctions, usually plant closings.

That MAG wire is 70-S6, I think the MAG designation is just due to it's place of origin.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-16-2008 14:09
Funny you say that Dave, I too have that special MAG wire.

Funny, it welds good.

To help Rick, I deal a lot with other countries and MIG really seems to be our term and MAG seems to be used everywhere else (in Europe anyway).  I totally understand Al's point, but MAG has become a common process for many of our WPS's that are used for other countries.

Not standard, but used none the less.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-17-2008 03:41
Without regard to Our terminology, I guess I MIG weld aluminun, and MAG weld steel.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / NICORE 55