Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / steel prices
- - By crazydog (**) Date 04-12-2008 20:42
I am from Michigan and our steel prices seem to be going up weekly. I was quoted .589 per pound for angle iron. 2" x 2" x 1/4". What are you paying in other states for steel? We use mostly tube, plate, and structural. Thanks for your information.
Parent - - By gawelder (**) Date 04-13-2008 00:54
I'm from Ga. I've just bought some 2"x2"x1/4" angle yesterday and it was $2.35/ft.
I also got a letter from my steel supplier and they said there is going to be another price increase
May 1st.they said the increase will exeed $100.00 a ton for all products.  
                                                                                   gawelder  

Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 04-13-2008 01:17
I heard today that scrap price (for whole cars) was over $12 a hundred. If it goes much higher I will be "driving" a few to the crusher. Thats pretty crazy when you can get more for a running vehichle at the scrap yard than from selling it to someone to drive.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-13-2008 15:41
Three weeks ago I locked in a price for 300K pounds of A36M plate @$58.00 per 100 at 4PM. Price the next morning was $65.00 per 100. Customer had 72 hours to accept the offer and waited. Last week the customer called and decided they wanted to go with the project. Called supplier and it was $72.00 per 100.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-14-2008 04:05
He who hesitates has lost.
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 04-15-2008 14:17
They charged you 72.00 @ 100#. That is unbeliveable. Where are you located? Do you know what they are charging for beam and angle? Thanks
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-16-2008 02:23
Texas Steel Processors FOB Port of Houston
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 04-14-2008 15:02
Someone handed me a Wall Street Journal clipping last week saying that coking coal prices are rumoured to have tripled recently, and iron ore is up 65%.  This is international pricing; they didn't talk much about U.S. producers, other than that prices are up in the U.S. because less steel is being imported here.  The difference was reported in dollars, but it's more than can be blamed on the falling dollar.  They're predicting a 10% rise in the cost of steel, though that's peanuts compared to what happened in 2004.  If you're buying steel from outside the U.S., the exchange rate is probably hurting you too.

And here we go again.

Hg
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 04-15-2008 14:11
We just got another price increase this week of .07 cents a pound. They say there are only three mills producing in the U.S, one owned by us, one by the Russians, and one by India, and no foreign steel coming in beacause of the low dollar valuation. Makes it hard to be competitive.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-15-2008 21:07
Where have US Steel and Bethelem Steel gone? Are they still in business? Does someone know?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-15-2008 21:23
Bethlehem  is  G  -  O  -  N  -  E      !
Basicly  you have US Steel , Nucor , Steel Dynamics  , Mitral  and  a whole bunch of wanna  be 's
The steel industry is not what it was when I got into this interesting business in  1968 !
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-16-2008 03:36
Giovani: It is true, the steel industry in the US has been on a decline since the '70s and there are only a handfull of mills operating. I live in eastern Pensylvania, and the only operating close by mill I can think of is the former Lukens plate works in Coatsville, now Mital. In specialty steel, Carpenter in Reading is still going, but has recently gone through really tough times.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 04-17-2008 03:45
I watch the financial channels every day. Steel prices in 2008 will be double 2007. They have enormous pricing power. Nucor is particularly well managed. Invest in their stock and then when you pay through the nose for steel you'll at least feel like your stock is going to increase.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 04-17-2008 04:26
I am from Michigan, I called last week on 1/4 x2x2 angle and it was $1.75 plus tax if applicable. That was a per foot price.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-17-2008 12:39
You buy retail by the foot. Everything else is by the pound.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / steel prices