Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / scratch arc
- - By modinemfg Date 04-12-2008 22:40
ive been trying to figure out where i can get the stuff to setup to do scratch arc on my tig. thats all we did in school but i never asked my professor where or what the name of the gas hose was called that ran from the bottle straight to the torche. now i am in need of one. any ideas?
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 04-13-2008 01:15
just go and get a dry torch from a welding shop.mine is a 25ft p 17 (i think that is the number)with a 25ft hose.139.00 dollars.
Parent - - By modinemfg Date 04-13-2008 20:53
will the hose have the little metal circle on it to hook the stinger up to? and does the torche have the valve to turn on the gas?
Parent - - By modinemfg Date 04-13-2008 21:22
ok now to be a little more literate how do i put the wp 17 power cable adapter on there? i have purchased it i am not sure how to put it on
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-13-2008 22:04
Hello modinemfg, most of the "dry torches" that folks use for scratch start GTAW will have a relatively small fitting on the end of the hose that has a tapered style sealing end and is designed to screw into a seated connection on the power adapter lug assembly. The power lug assembly will generally have two female threaded receptacles, one will match the end of the hose from the torch assembly the other will match a larger type of hose end that will be connected to the flow meter on your argon bottle. This power lug may also have a tab with a hole in it for you to bolt or clamp your welding lead to. Quick run down: argon bottle with flowmeter or regulator attached to it, hose traveling from this point to the power lug and screwing into it, from the power lug the GTAW torch hose screws into the power lug and runs to the actual torch assembly with the integral gas valve in the handle of the torch body. Finally, the welding lead is connected to the power lug by way of a bolted connection or by simply clamping the stinger to the connection lug. The power adapter lug allows for welding current to reach the torch assembly and also serves as a connection point for the shielding gas to be transferred from the gas source to the torch assembly.
     Sometimes the different hose ends will require adapters to be used in order to properly connect. So you may want to take your torch assembly, power lug assembly, flowmeter/regulator and hose to the welding supply store that you have been dealing with to ensure that you have all of the necessary adapters and other hardware. You're almost there, so hang in you'll get it figured out. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 04-14-2008 00:51
i use tweco quick connects on my welder so i can use both stick and tig also so i can hook up a suitecase welder.the hose hookes right to my regulator.i dont use a flowrater i just try and set it by my guage
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / scratch arc