Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / arbor nuts for 4 1/2" grinders
- - By welderdude (**) Date 04-15-2008 00:38
hey, everybody here buys grinders, and they all come with the arbor backer washer and the arbor nut...so what happens if you need to replace them because they've been lost by some idiot?  where can I find some?
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-15-2008 03:01
welderdude,
Who is the manufacturer of your Grinder. Look them up on the web and see if the have replacement parts for your particular model. That seems too easy doesn't it!?! It's worth a try. Hey a 41/2" grinder is pretty universal isn't it...I'll check a couple places for you and see what i come up with.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-15-2008 03:30
welderdude,
I found a conversion kit at Sears for using your grinder for sanding purposes...it has 1) 2 hole nut and 1) four hole nut. My angle grinder only has 2 hole arbor nut. I'm guessing yours is the same way.
Respectfully Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-15-2008 03:07
Hello welderdude, if you have a Lowe's, Sears, or Home Depot nearby they may very well have replacement nuts that will fit your grinders. Otherwise, try just about any tool or hardware store, many of these will also carry replacements for those. My $.02. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By meliz G (*) Date 04-15-2008 03:22
lowes doesnt have any   they tried to look them up but no luck i hear they are pretty expensive  a friend of mine bought some at a local equipment store called evco  he said he paid 25-30 dollars  you can also go to a pawn shop take them of an old grinder and take them to the counter and tell them how much they are and that you found them in that bucket over in the corner
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-15-2008 03:46
Those nuts can be hard to find. Once You have a handfull of those little grinders and have set one up with a cup brush, one with a stringer bead brush, and one with a sanding disc You will have 3 wheel nuts left over to replace the ones You loose on the other grinders.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 04-15-2008 06:59 Edited 04-15-2008 07:09
Well, it depends on who makes your grinder.  If you've got a Metabo with the quick release, you will need to get the Metabo nut to retain that feature.
My 4 1/2" grinder has a 5/8-11 threaded arbor.
Going to my source of things I can't find elsewhere:
MSC has a 5/8-11 arbor nut from a Milwaukee grinder for $3.67
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2289131&PMT4NO=41304499
Not bad, but the backing piece may be more of a problem.
They've also got the hub adaptor flange from a 7" Milwaukee for under $8, but here's the catch.  That part needs to match up with the flats ground onto your arbor, so it cannot turn freely.  I've got no idea if that particular flange will fit your grinder.  Its possible (even likely), but I don't know.
For under $20, you could take the parts off a brand new HF grinder.  I wouldn't recommend it for actual grinding though.     :-)
I've actually got one hidden away for cutting tile and concrete, when I don't want that dusty crap going through my Metabo, but the awful racket its gears make just makes me sick.

A quick web search turned up something called the Jacobs Powernut
I don't see anyone selling this, but it appears to be a toolless nut, similar to the Metabo version.  Still need a backer though, and over $20.

BTW, does anybody here have just one grinder?
Maybe you've just found the one to keep a wire wheel spun onto.   :)
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 04-15-2008 10:15
yeah, i've got one grinder at home (Milwaulkee) and one grinder at work that doesn't see much action...i work on chilled water systems and there's not much need for a grinder very often.  I was just wondering where you all have had luck finding them because I've NEVER seen them for sale anywhere.  I worked at a machine shop where the machinist made a whole bunch of replacement backers and nuts out of some round stock 4140, so I guess it's safe to assume that they're pretty hard to find!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-16-2008 04:27
As luck would have it I just scored a few at an industrial surplus yard. My buddy lost one, actulally His employees lost it, and He only had the one grinder. He couldn't get a replacement locally. They used a washer and a regular 5/8-11 nut, a poor jury rig.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 04-16-2008 21:47
Your LWS should be able to order them for you. Mine can. No problem.

Griff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / arbor nuts for 4 1/2" grinders