Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / overhead. stainless to painted carbon steel
- - By jcain77 Date 04-16-2008 21:23
I think they gave me the wrong wire...it's looking like sht.

I can't remember the exact number rod they provided, but I thought it was supposed to be 309 transition for stainless to carbon. Is there anything else that works?

It's not sticking well to the carbon tube just the stainless clips. I'm welding the clips from a vertical hang off the tube. So I'm looking at a right angle and it's overhead. They were in a rush and told me to just do it, now they all have to come down and be redone. I don't want to struggle with this crap again want to make sure I have the right rods here. Probably would have also helped if they ground off all the primer on the tube!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 01:03 Edited 04-17-2008 13:41
jcain77,
  first off let me be (I think) the first to welcome you to the forum. Your post is pretty vague, but the one thing that screams problems is in your topic. Painted carbon steel. Proper joint preparation will do wonders for any application. If you can be more specific as to what process, filler metal, and perameters you are using, it may shed more light on what could be causing you problems. Based on what you have posted as of this moment, all i can say is joint preparation is the first place I would start.

John

BTW is it wire or rod, as you have refered to both.
Parent - - By jcain77 Date 04-17-2008 03:42
You would be the first to welcome me, thank you. I've searched the site for info before but this was my first post.

I'm using rods, and It's structural steel...  Half inch thick rectangular tube, 6' around all sides with a thin coat of primer. Staineless clips are polished and 5/8 thick. I was running about 100-110 for heat.  Seems as if im not getting much penetration on the tube, slag is falling down, and the majority of the rod ends up a 1/16 below the tube on the clip when i chip off the slag. I'm at a really bad angle cannot get a lift or ladder right under it, so my work angle is tough to hold. Maybe it is the paint and bad angle im at but somebody told me you need to use 309 transition wire when you weld stainless to regular carbon steel. And I know that is not what I've got.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 13:25
Whatever trouble you're having, which sounds like material prep and skill, it won't make any difference if you use 309, 308, 316 or whatever. The reason for 309 is metallurgical, not operating characteristics.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 13:45
True.Proper joint preparation will do wonders. Ideally I beleive you would want to use 309L or LS but as stated it is metallurgic reasons.

Good luck with it,

John
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / overhead. stainless to painted carbon steel