Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best Respirator?
- - By lake (*) Date 04-16-2008 22:47
What's the thinking on a compact, comfortable, respirator/mask for general welding use?  Recently, I've been using the 3M brand of N-95 and N-100 rated paper masks. I still get the black smudges around my nostrils, so I know stuff is still getting into my lungs, despite my best efforts to keep my head out of the smoke column. Besides, they are miserable to use in hot weather.  I'm wondering about a half-mask type respirator with cartridges. I honestly hate to wear any type of mask and didn't for many, many years, because most of my work is out of doors, but I'm thinking I'd better get serious about protecting what's left of my lungs. (I suspect my lungs are beginning to look like the inside of an old shop-vac. Besides the black boogers, I'm coughing up dark, metallic tasting junk more often now.) Who makes a good set-up that doesn't require a home equity loan to purchase? And, does anyone have experience with the positive air type of respirator? I've seen the ones with a battery operated fan/filter/hose, but I suspect something like that wouldn't last long in a muddy belhole. My two sons are coming into my business now, and I certainly want them to stay healthy as long as possible! Thanks!
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 04-16-2008 23:57 Edited 04-17-2008 00:01
3M rubber half-mask type we use in power plants are the best. There is nothing more dusty or nasty than a coal fired powerplant and these are the ones we use.  They seem to be the industry standard in the Union trades.  I don't have the model number but will get it for you if you PM me.  2097 filters (pink pancake type) P-100 will filter out asbestos and most other nasty things but be sure to check before using.  The big welding fume issue these days is hexavalent chromium (sp?) .  It's the next major lawsuit that all the lawyers are looking into so the contractors are all testing for it these days.  You are very smart to wear one regardless of the type of welding you are doing.  There is nothing in our trade that is beneficial to eat, breath or ingest.  Please pass it along to the younger generation so they don't have to witness the cancer deaths I see.  Of course, smoking is the worst thing you can do as a welder but that's another topic.
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 04-17-2008 00:08
http://www.canoshweb.org/odp/html/rp5.htm

Siderosis----Iron Deposits in the Lungs. 
Parent - - By lake (*) Date 04-17-2008 01:34
Awspartb, I know what you mean about the smoking! I smoked for many years myself, but whenever I caught a cold, it would go straight to my lungs and I would be layed up for 2 weeks. Realized I had to give up smoking or give up the welding. I enjoyed the welding too much to quit (plus I needed to feed the family) so I finally gave up the smokes. I still love the smell of a cigarette even after 20+ years! Thanks for the lead on a half mask. I'll make sure to check it out! Thanks!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-17-2008 02:22
Lake, before You start using a real respirator, check with Your Doctor to be sure You don't have any problems that will become serious because of the increased respiratory system strain that a respirtator will give You. A forced air type can be a better choice for some people.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 03:18
OSHA, air quality and fit tests. My personal opinion is to go with something like the speedglass air assist hood. There are other brands, I just happen to prefer speedglass. This style of hood is battery powered and has different levels of filters available. These in my opinion are the best route to follow in light duty and normal welding conditions where ventilation is not the best. Under more extreme conditions there may be a need for more advanced air filtration. The dangers and effects of inhalation of welding fumes are long term and not immediatly noticeable. Welders are dying on a regular basis from cancer due to not taking proper care of themselves and this is a still evolving safety concern. And as already stated, smoking does not help.

John
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 04-17-2008 16:53
I use the 3M half face with the pink filters too. I started using them about 20 years in. Sure get some funny looks and comments, though. My lungs are definitely feeling the effects of 30 years of welding.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 17:27
My first air assist hood was a RACAL, this was some time ago when they had that darth vader look. I received many an odd look as well, but it was worth it. I could breath better, had less headaches and stayed much cooler in the summer.

jrw
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 04-17-2008 23:04
http://products9.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/safety/occ_health_safety/node_GSS0T2RDG4gs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_5SDD44F7DZge/bgel_KKR4KPF6G3bl/gvel_4PV4LH4X9Kgl/theme_us_ohes_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html/salecomponent_GSFG1DXVJ8gs

3M model 6300/07026 with filter P-100 2097  are the ones we use in the coal fired power plants and are industry standard as far as I can tell.  We weld nasty cancer causing alloys like Inconel, Monel, Chrome steel and stainless.  Plus we are exposed to asbestos, fly ash (arsenic and mercury) , insulation, fiberglass, grinding dust, silicons............well you get the picture.  I wear a respirator all the time and have noticed many of the younger guys in the trade doing likewise.  The older guys still smoke a cig with no respirator in dust so thick it makes me cough and sick from "boiler flu" in short order.  How these guys live to the ripe old age of 60 years old is beyond me.

If you are sick, you need to see a doctor who specializes in INDUSTRIAL ILLNESS.  I know the first thing they will do (from personal family experience) is a pulminary function test, chest xray and blood test for heavy metal contamination.  Hope this helps and good luck.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 04-18-2008 13:05
I got a rubber half mask from north and found it to be quite uncomfortable.  The filter retaining clip was plastic and didn't last long.  The 3M described above is very nice.  It's about twenty bucks and comfortable enough to wear for  4-5 hours at a time.  I wonder if more guys would wear them if the filters weren't pink.  These big strong guys in the trade sure can be sensitive when it comes to their masculinity being challenged.  Maybe we need an ad campaign that has a hot young blonde going for the respirator wearing weldor and someone that looks like my old middle school lunch lady going for the unprotected weldor?
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 04-18-2008 22:40
Union Boilermakers are the toughest guys out there.  I can assure you that nobody would call these guys a pussy for wearing a pink filter.  By the way, the job I'm on now turns these filters BLACK after a 10 hour shift.  The sad thing is there are guys wearing nothing at all except a smoke hanging from their mouth while welding with E9018.  60 year lifespan tops.
Parent - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 04-18-2008 14:59
Hey guys try looking here at different types....

http://www.dragosupply.com/drago/servlet/CyberVendor/category/C1185765/catalog//

or you can call Rick or Brandon at 1-888-438-3724.  They can help you decide which product would be best for you...

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best Respirator?