Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Flare bevel welds
- - By ctacker (****) Date 04-16-2008 23:01
I have 1/2" thick tubes making -T conections with a flare bevel weld symbol and no sizes or depth of weld given, no contour so according to my interpretation, the welds would be filled at least flush or am i missing something? the shop foreman says they can be 3/32 under flush. I have never run across anything that says that. any help on this matter would be appreciated!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 01:14
ctacker,
  Pull the specs, procedure and applicable code. I would be willing to bet that with all three of these documents you will be able to come up with the answer that 3/32 under flush is unnaceptable. I can not say this deffinatly as you have not provided info pertaining to code spec and procedure, but in my past and limited experiance I can not recall any situation where this would be anything but underfill. IMHO of course. Also, if you have not been provided the information neccessary, you should fill out an RFI and submitt it to the EOR.

John
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-17-2008 01:32
I have researched, and find nothing of letting underfill being allowed! code is D1 thats why i posted under D1.

Also I have sent an RFI to the customer.but it ussually takes days to get a response! and the part is shipping in 2 days.(I just got back from Vacation so I'm playing catchup)

from what i found, any groove without weld sizes shall be treated as CP welds. and that was my stand! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't way off and creating extra work!

Thanks for the quick response!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-17-2008 02:07
You are on top of it. In my book from the info given its underfill, and should be dealt with accordingly. Stand firm and if it is required, it should ship right or not at all, IMO.

John
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-17-2008 13:29 Edited 04-17-2008 13:36
Guys,

If used, the prequalified joint details for a flare bevel groove weld size is based on weld being flush, as indicated by note "l".  A PQR woud be required if the joint is to be underfilled, unless the EOR opts otherwise.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 04-19-2008 15:53
Not sure how this affects your project, but one thing to consider is that AISC retains jurisdiction over the AWS in a few issues, and flare bevel and flare V welds  happen to be  one of them.
Ref. the 2005 specification for steel buildings, section J2 "WELDS" and table 2.2 of the same section for confirmation. But, if your project isn't governed by AISC, then forget what I just said.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 04-21-2008 15:00
These are machinery parts, does not fall under AISC !
thanks for the response though!
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 04-17-2008 17:52
In my shop about 80% of all welding consists of flare bevel welds.  Many of these welds have large radii.  As the engineer of record I made the call to leave these welds underfilled in certain instances depending on the radius.

If the shop foreman is telling you they can be underfilled by 3/32 it may be that the requirement to completly fill the joint was overidden in the past by the EOR. 

If this is the case I would advise them that a weld size needs to be placed on the flare bevel welds.  If this part is subject to inspection by a third party that person can only inspect the welds based on the code and with no size called out that person would expect the welds to be filled.

In my experience this happens when engineering makes a change verbally but does not update the drawing a very common occurence. 
Parent - - By paul 3 (*) Date 04-18-2008 16:40
what does the abbreviations EOR,IMO,RFI, stands for ?   Thanks.
Parent - By paul 3 (*) Date 04-18-2008 16:43
IMO MEANS MY OPIION GOT THAT ONE.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-18-2008 16:46
paul 3

EOR-engineer of record
IMO-in my opinion
RFI-request for information

Sorry for the abbreviations, sometimes when someone uses these terms on a daily basis they will abbreviate them for different reasons. All too often one can get caught up in the swing of things and forget that these abbreviations are not coomon knowlede to everyone.

Hope this helps

John
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-18-2008 16:49
paul 3,
  Another one that may be used in ctackers situation is NCR

NCR-non conformance report.

John
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-19-2008 18:43
Maybe I have the wrong idea, but when you're working to AWS D1.1 the maximum weld size permitted for a flare bevel and a flare V-groove is given as a function of the radius of the round element(s). The maximum weld size is based on the weld being flush to the top edge of the round. So, if the engineer calls for a weld size that is less than the maximum, it would be permissible for the weld to be less than flush with the top of the round.

Example: E=5/16R; a 1 inch radius would allow for the maximum weld size to be 5/16 inch assuming the weld is flush with the top of the round. If the engineer calls out a 1/4 flare bevel weld, it would be permissible to have the face of the weld 1/16 below the top of the round.

Am I missing a key point?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-21-2008 12:47
Al,
I would agree with your statement. But I believe the key point that was missed is,

"I have 1/2" thick tubes making -T conections with a flare bevel weld symbol and no sizes or depth of weld given," :-)

As we all know the EOR can do and call out pretty much anything he/she wants, but it appears from the original post that this information is left out. Hence my suggestion of RFI from EOR. Now if the EOR were to call out your example, then yes it would be acceptable, imo.

See Goose-em's post for example of EOR decision.

This bieng said, I will add that I may very well be in for a Monday morning dose of education, and it is more than welcomed. It is early and I have yet to learn something new today, but it will happen before the sun goes down. LOL :-)

John
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-21-2008 15:04
I too would agree with Al's post, BUT there is no weld sizes called out! and if I interpret the code right, groove welds without A size are to be considered CJP welds, which I would say they need filled completely! right?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-21-2008 15:17
ctacker,
  Yes, the lack of information is the missed key point. IMO

So in short it appears that you are interpreting correctly.

John
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 04-21-2008 17:43
I agree with what's been posted.  A rule of thumb I use and explain to the shop personnel is that unless it is stated otherwise, the flare bevel has to be at least flush.  Now, we have had some very big raduis'us(what's the plural of radius?) and it can/ may take ALOT of passes to get those flush.  That's when I always check with the detailer/ project manager or have them call the engineer, because unless they tell me otherwise, my guys are going to fill it flush and that's alot of heat, time and money on a connection that if it were called out properly on the drawing the first time might only take a few passes.
Also, when a certain size weld is called for it can be tough to measure to confirm I have the minimum weld size after it's been welded.  I measure an area without any weld first, determine how "deep" the joint is, and then I can measure to the top of the weld after it's welded and subtract the two dimentions, as long as it's the same or bigger I say the welder has the weld size and it's good to go, but this is only when the drawing states the weld size, not if it's ommited. 
Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2008 02:43
Hello John;

My question is related to the post, but separate. It is just a thought that I figured I would bounce off of my esteemed friends relative to the specified weld size versus the maximum weld size based on D1.1.

Sorry for the mix up.

Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2008 02:50
Hello John;

My question is related to the post, but separate. It is just a thought that I figured I would bounce off of my esteemed friends relative to the specified weld size versus the maximum weld size based on D1.1.

Sorry for the mix up.

Ctacker, the point of the size rules for flare bevels and flare V-grooves is that they can not be complete joint penetration groove welds. As the round(s) approach the point of tangency, the groove angle approaches zero. You have the same problem when the groove angle is less than 60 degrees for bevels and V-grooves where D1.1 requires the weld size to be 1/8 inch less than the depth of preparation (depending on the process and position). In the case of skewed joints, D1.1 has the Z factor that has to be considered.

So, just because the flare bevel or flare V do not list a weld size, the maximum weld size is still limited by the rules listed in D1.1 unless the contractor qualifies the procedure to demonstrate the weld size, i.e., joint penetration, is more than that permitted by D1.1 limitations.

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-22-2008 15:37
Okay, I just got RFI back from EOR! he states as per AWS
flare bevel weld sizes = wall thickness (where it states I dont know)
according to D1.1(2006) 2.3.1.4 for rectangular tube sections R shall be taken as 2 times the thickness,
so, 1/2" tube = 1" R
table 2.1 says for FCAW-g effective size of flare groove welds filled flush is 5/8 R
so that tells me for 1/2" tube filled flush = 5/8" weld and that could be where the 3/32 underfill came into play! (its actually 1/8")
it seems that a 1/2" tube (1" Radius) can be filled 1/8" under flush and be legal. am I right?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2008 20:26 Edited 04-22-2008 20:39
Hello C;

You didn't list which edition of D1.1 your using, so I used D1.1-2004 which is referenced by the most recent edition of the AISC Steel Construction Manual. Oops, I just reread your post and I see you reference the 2006 edition. Sorry. And they did increase the weld size for GMAW and FCAW-G. I don't believe for one minute that either GMAW or FCAW-G is going to produce deeper joint penetration than SAW. Another case of politics in action.

The attached sketch should help decipher the requirements.

Since the maximum size weld is a function of R and assumes the weld is filled flush with no additional allowance for weld reinforcement, a weld that is slightly less than flush would be acceptable provided the maximum weld size isn't required by the drawing. For instance: The tube wall is 1/2 inch, the radius is 1 inch, the maximum weld size is 1/2 inch for a flare bevel weld joining two HSS lying side by side as in my sketch. If the drawing specifies a 3/8 weld, then the weld can be 1/8 inch less than flush. At least that's how I interpret the restrictions of table 2.1.

In your case, the maximum weld size for the flare V would be 5/8R or 5/8 inch as you stated. If the weld is 1/8 under flush, then the weld size would be 1/2 inch as you stated.

Now, if the referenced code is 2006, you are correct. If an earlier edition is referenced by the purchase order or by the building code, you're wrong because the codes have changed. I don't know what edition of AWS D1.1 you are using in your neck of the woods. Here, in my New England state, we are bound to the "88" edition for ASD or "2000" for LRFD. So I would be correct for my local jurisdiction. Another case where the inspector can't assume the latest edition of D1.1 automatically applies.

The contractor can always demonstrate the ability to produce larger welds if they want to jump through the hoops.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-22-2008 20:43 Edited 04-22-2008 20:46
My last post revealed which edition of D1.1 I am working to.(2006)
Table 2.1 lists for Flare bevel welds welded with FCAW-g that the effective size is 5/8 R thats where the 5/8 R came from!
since these are tube to plate and tube -T connections the flare V grooves wouldn't apply.
I still cant find in D1.1 where it says flare bevel weld sizes should be the tube thickness.(the EOR says it does, and having him tell me where would be another 3 days down the road)
So taking what the EOR says about flare bevel size being the tube thickness(1/2"), and the R is 2 times the thickness of tube(1") leaves the simple math of 5/8 of 1" = 5/8" if filled flush. and since I only need 1/2"(according to EOR) I should be ok with 1/8" underfill.(if I am interpreting this right)
gotta go, one of our machinists just got her arm wrapped around a spindle! looks bad

Edit: I will have to wait till i get home to see your Autocad dwg. I dont get that luxury at work!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-23-2008 10:18 Edited 04-23-2008 10:31
If you use any of the following: BTC-P10, BTC-P10-GF, B-P10-S, the joint is to be welded flush per note "l"....."Weld size (E) shall be based on joints being welded flush", unless the EOR allows something else.  Also, In the actual joint details, the T3 weld is the same dimension as the base metal thickness T1...at a minimum.  See the table underneath the joint detail.  It indicates that T3 is the same as T1 min., which is the minimum base metal thickness.   
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 04-23-2008 17:32
I've always wondered where people got the idea that a flare-bevel groove weld should be the material thickness.  For the BTC-P10 joints, T3 is the base metal thickness of a member of a T-joint; it is not the weld size.

As stated above, in D1.1:2006 the minimum weld size (E) is 5/16r or 5/8r (depending on process) for a prequalified flare bevel groove weld joint detail and for rectangular tubing r is defined as 2t.

Respectfully,
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-23-2008 18:08
I agree.  You are correct.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 04-23-2008 17:40
It would be the BTC-P10-GF
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-24-2008 01:51
Thanks for taking the time to make the drawings Al, The second sketch is the same as the one in question, and our contract calls for the latest edition of d1.1
but, since we are using FCAW-g the 5/16 would be 5/8 (and I don't see either where SAW would give less penetration). I guess I was interpreting it correct, after i started getting in to it!
I still don't see where D1.1 states that a flare bevel weld size is the tube thickness(the EOR stated that it does!). but it does state it in his companies quality manual, which I just got yesterday.
It also shows flare bevels filled flush with a fillet and 3/8 radius. and I was quick to tell them that their drawings state to use the latest edition of D1.1 OR their quality level 2(which is the manual I just received) and they cant change the rules when the job is already in the machining stage!
anyway, I got it all ironed out and appreciate all the help on this one!
It is a daunting task to be a fitter/welder one month and a CWI/project manager the next that has to have all the answers!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-24-2008 02:00
Welcome to our nightmare, as Alice Cooper would say, LOL :-) :-)

Sometimes it is not the ones that think your cert is not worth the paper it it written on, it is the ones that think you should know everything right off the top of your head as soon as you are certified.

It is all part of the job, you are doing, and will do, fine.

John
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-24-2008 04:02
I know what you mean, the shop foreman has been at the company for 35 years, Ive been there 3 yrs, and he asks me stuff only the EOR can answer, each time I tell him I don't answer engineering questions, hours later he asks different , but the same questions,lol 6 months ago when I was fitting, I would ask him the same questions, now that I got my cert, I am supposed to know it all!
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 05-01-2008 13:16
One of the biggest issues facing welders, supervisors, etc. are the engineers who recieve little if any weld training and don't understand how or why or when.

When an engineer specifies a PJP weld it should always be accompanied by a weld size placed in parentheses.  Almost every engineer that I know and work with thinks the weld size of a PJP or CJP weld is measured across the face not through the throat.  If there is no weld size on a flare bevel weld I would fill it flush but at the same time a flare bevel without a size could be anything.

Today's engineers need further training and/or an in-house weld engineer to review all the drawings and point out mistakes.

I have a little experiment I like to do with engineers.  I get them in a room for training and then send one of them out.  I then ask the remaining engineers to come up with a plan for the guy when he returns, jumping jacks, push ups whatever.  Then when he comes back we give him a "drawing" with only part of the info, like jacks, push etc.

He of course says what is this it makes no sense.  At this point the I say something like, What's wrong not enough information?  And then go into a spiel about communication and the drawing as a communication tool. 

One of my favorite engineerisms is, "I figured manufacturing could figure out what I meant". 

I guess they think manufacturing employs phsycics for this purpose. lol

Look at me bashing my own kind!  I guess it's the welder in me!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-02-2008 00:50
thats exactly the problem i get!
just today I was looking at a drawing from Boeing company, building a fan box or someting of the sort, all welds inside the box, guess we need to find a disposable welder that will weld himself inside. and then trust him to do his own inspection when he finishes!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 01:38
ROTFLMFAO!!!!  My brother, that is a good one. :-)

John
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2008 15:13
Just remember most engineers learn about welding the same way most welders do; OJT.

Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-03-2008 15:59
Al,
It is pretty much the same with CWI's. I know you are aware of the issues with having a new # on a card, unless a guy just aquired the "S". Everybody has to start somewhere.

John
Parent - By Bmell209 Date 01-12-2016 19:22
Why has nobody mentioned table 3.4 in D1.1. 3.4 is minimum PJP sizes based of material thickness. Are flare bevels groove welds not considered PJP,s? If so, one could simply subtract those values, found in table 3.4, from those found in 2.1. Am I wrong? No need to fill flush just because size is not indicated.. If somebody could tell me if I'm wrong or not... That would be great
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Flare bevel welds