Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / where's OSHA
- - By ctacker (****) Date 04-21-2008 02:06
ever wonder where OSHA is when they televise those reality shows( Ax-man,American chopper and dirty jobs to name a few)
I see all the time them guys cutting with no safety glasses and just yesterday seen mike rowe up on a 14 story building with the work crew at the edge of the top of the building and not 1 guy tied off! personally I think EVERYONE should follow the rules and adhere to the safety rules put in place!
I too enjoy the shows but I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at all the stupidity that goes on. and what about our kids that watch them and dont think anything about needing safety equipment to do a job.
Personally I think them shows should be taken off air until they start stressing the safety factors that go along with each type of job!
I'm done *****ing now! have a nice and safe week ahead!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-21-2008 03:11
How about all those guys tack welding with a MIG and not wearing a hood? They do set some poor examples.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-21-2008 12:35
I have often wondered this myself. Another one is Mythbusters, they are not quite as blatent but it still happens. My problem is that these are some of my favorite shows. Have you ever watched Junkyard Wars? It is a great show, but safety appears to be low on the priority list.

John
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 04-22-2008 04:14
I've seen a guy barefoot on Orange County Choppers. What really gets me fired up is how they say 'so and so is making this great weld' or something and it looks terrible. Almost all the welding I've seen on these shows is substandard and I'm being charitable here. They've got some great paint and body people to save these projects from the junk yard and they know where to buy cool expensive parts, like $10,000 wheels, to dress up all their hobby shop workmanship. I think the guy on Monster garage has a better skill set and I like his passion for the metalwork, but I saw his Nascar street sweeper at a trade show in either Houston or Detroit and I thought the welding looked rough.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-22-2008 12:24
Yeah, don't even get me started on the welding. I can somewhat understand the Monster Garage type stuff, but OCC and some others do make one wonder.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-22-2008 16:31
The MythBusters do the best job setting an example of wearing PPE and considering safety when they test and fabricate.

I refuse to watch the others because they set such a poor example when it comes to safety.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-22-2008 16:39
Lawrence,
  You have worded this much better than I did. While I feel that there are times when they do drop the ball, while not very far, they do set the better example for safety out of the majority of shows. Plus with Adam around, who wouldn't be that safety concious, LOL. :-)

John
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / where's OSHA