Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / I am a newb. CWI another wps?
- - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-22-2008 18:38
Just a quick question, I am trying to prepare a wps, I understand that I can use the pqwp, ok to get to the point the grades of material that are going to be welded are included in Group II of table 3.1 AWS D1.1. with FCAW A5.20, Can the wps be written to join A36 to A36 and qualitify for the other materials in any of those groups that match the same filler metal requirements?  

To me this is something that I should have leaned in the aws class. Maybe I just missed it trying to pass the exam.  anyway thanks

take care

Austin
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 04-22-2008 19:05
Take a look at paragraph 3.3 in the D1.1.
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-22-2008 19:32
Yes I did and have re read many times, that seems too easy.  It is that easy? I am good to go, I can do this. I have to get 6 wq tests finished quickly, one more added question can we (me the CWI) do the side bend test and have an outside inspection company do tensile test? Test is 1" a36 plate  60deg.groove CJP with backing. When using a backing material do we remove it for either the bend and or Tensile tests?  I know there are 2 side bends and 2 tensile required.  

WOW thanks for answering so quick.............Its a little nerve racking when I do not have anyone to ask. I am working for a small job shop that has just started getting into code work.......I do not want to fall down just out of the gate!

Thank you CLH1978

Take care
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-22-2008 20:18
You can do any of the mechanical testing that is required provided you have the equipment.

You do need to remove reinforcement and backing.
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 04-22-2008 19:30
You will get a variety of answers on this question because the code does not give hard fast rules on documentation. Also, I'm not sure what a "pqwp" is either.

In my opinion, if you write a preq. WPS for A36 to A36 then that preq. WPS can only be used for A36 to A36. However, you could write a preq. WPS for Group II to Group II, and that preq. WPS could be used for A36 (>3/4in.) to A36 (>3/4in.) as well as other Group II to Group II materials.

In short, you must follow the directions in your documentation. If your documentation limits you to A36 to A36 then that is what you must comply with, but there is nothing in AWS D1.1 that prohibits the putting more than one steel spec or even group numbers in the form for base materials. Be careful though, if you make your preq. WPS too broad then there is a greater possibility that someone could follow and comply with your preq. WPS but perform welding which is not considered prequalified in accordance with D1.1.
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-22-2008 19:45
Thank you pax23

I am still wet behond the ears......just a new be.....wanting to learn in the correct way.....sorry for the pqwp thingy..... it is as you have corrected me (preq. WPS). If that is the case then it would be correct to wps group II to group II that would state a good range of materials. Thats is what I really needed......I have a job with several grades of group I and of group II. and some with both group II.

I can understand about the preq. wps being too boad, we are tring to do this by the book,,,, welding will be done here. 

Thanks

Take care
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 04-22-2008 21:18
Double check section 3 for prequalified conformance. If you end up qualifying your wps you will have too
Rt or Ut.
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 04-22-2008 23:31
I don't have the code in front of me at the moment, but if memory serves me, 1" or greater A36 falls into group II. This gives you group I and II, if that's what you're after.
Parent - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-23-2008 10:52
Thank you arrowside, that is just what i needed. just a bit of knowledge to improve my research. I have take many welding test in the past, just never written one.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-23-2008 13:38 Edited 04-23-2008 13:47
As I understand it if you are able to use a preq. WPS on 1" plate you only need to have 2 side bends....is this correct?
As I see it on Table 4.11 I have the option to choose rt in place of the side bends.

If you are qualifing a wps you need to have the entire test plate rt or ut?

Thanks for all the input
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 04-23-2008 14:59
See Table 4.2 for wps qualifications. Read 4.8.2 on NDT.
Table 4.11 is for welder qualification. Finish your wps first.
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-23-2008 15:55 Edited 04-23-2008 16:24
Thanks again CLH1978, I have finished the wps. I am able to use a preq. WPS, so I do not have to test it first.

Now I have to make sure of all the requirements for the welder qual. are in order, as I see in 4.8.2 it is required to have rt or ut,  Part C Performance Qualification 4.19.1 States Substitution of rt for guided bend tests am I missing something? if rt or ut is required which I should choose.........it might turn in a $ fig as we need to test 6 welders in a short time. We are just a small fab shop with the chance to become a code shop....It states the entire length of the weld shall be examined except for the discard lengths.this is for a non quilified WPS right?...When reading the code sometimes I do not understand .Then when I think I do I guess I start second guessing myself.

We wanted to do as much in house inspection that we could and it would give me a chance to get a bit of experience at the same time......We wanted to do the bends here but I don't know if it is worth it to send them out for rt or ut  then bring them back and prepare the tensile test and the bends....then send the tensile coupons back to the inspection company ............options would be great......Wow all this insight in such a short period of time........it just goes to show getting your CWI is only the beginning of my education.......bring it on.............Thanks
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-23-2008 16:37
67, i suggest that you reread d1.1 chapter 4 part c. keeping in mind that this is for welder qualification
reread chapter 3 keeping in mind this is for the use of prequalified wps
reread chapter 4 part b keeping in mind this is for non prequalified wps qualification.
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-23-2008 18:16
After much study.....after weld test we will be doin side bend test...........thanks
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 04-25-2008 23:02
There is a parallel thread - WPS topic that can also help you.
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=95406#pid95406

and an old thread
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=87680;hl=#pid87680

Hope this helps
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / I am a newb. CWI another wps?