Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In regard to Very Large Fillet weld
- - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-24-2008 02:27
Hello Folks!
  Just wanted to thank everyone for posting to the previous thread.
I passed with an "A"!!!

Wow that Baby was alot of work to complete! But I'm sitting at my desk looking at one of the cross sections, and I must say that after all that work....It's a real pretty thing to look upon. I Tested out on SMAW 2 weeks early. This fillet weld "test out" was by far the most arduous portion of my 16 weeks of SMAW.
Just thought I'd Let all You folks know How it all worked out.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-24-2008 02:39
Congrats. it is all worth it when you see the end results verified by inspection.

For sure it is an accomplishment to be proud of!!

John
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-24-2008 06:56
John
Thank You. I certainly feel a sense of satisfaction. I am no longer apprehensive about my welding abilities in SMAW. By no means am I a professional as yet. Nor do I feel that I know it all. I am simply more qualified than I was before I started, and certainly willing to learn more. I really love welding and I am now in a position to be taught the finer aspects of the various SMAW applications. with the basics in my back pocket, I feel I am now ready to be shown how to weld pipe. It's been a well spent 4 months, and now I have 4 months of GMAW and after that...Yep, 4 months of GTAW. I am so happy I chose to pursue a career in welding. Again, Thank You.
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 04-24-2008 20:34
see if you can keep your test coupons.  one day, when you're feeling frustrated, or you feel like you're not getting anywhere, take a look at that first test you passed.  it'll be like looking at one of your first grade math tests!  you'll think to yourself, "Wow, I've come a LONG way since that first test!"  and it's always fun to look at them a few years down the road. 
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-25-2008 02:32
welderdude,
I have a cross section sitting here on my computer desk...it's a paper weight now. A 2-1/2" piece weighs in at about 7lbs. It is one thick weld! I will compare future test coupons and see how I have progressed.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 05-09-2008 18:13
I saved my very first piece of metal I ever struck an arc on. I ran 4 stringers on it. They look like dog "piles", but I was so happy I did it and wasn't scared, and didn't stick em. Now they make me happy that the rest don't ever look like that , lol.

Saving a piece here and there is a good idea.

Jennifer
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 05-09-2008 19:33
Just a matter of point there Jeffery, the moment you receive money for doing something within a particular field, you are by definition a professional.
the real question is what kind of professional are you?
your concern and enthusiasm for what you are doing and will be doing within your trade bodes well for a successful career and life.
congrats on your pass and be sure with such a positive and humble attitude as yours there are many more success stories that you will be able to tell in the future.
you can be taught a trade but being a tradesman comes form within, you are well on your way to being a professional tradesman, and to me there is no higher designation for a person no matter what they do for a living.
agreed keep the test piece, its got good mojo that you will be able to call upon throughout your career.

take care
darren
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-10-2008 18:42
darren,
Thank You for your post. I share your philosophy about "being a tradesman comes from within". I don't want to just settle for being taught to weld. I want a piece of me to go into every weld I lay down. I am currently taking an extensive GMAW course held on "Post" at the US Army Arsenal 5 min from my house. I am certainly glad to have gone through the hours of SMAW, as it makes it much easier to get the hang of MIG welding. I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 180 at home, but I never did buy a shielding gas cylinder for it, so I've been doing FCAW w/Inner Shield Wire. This week I ran My first true GMAW beads and I really like the appearance of them. I ran 6, 8 and 9mm Fillet welds and Monday I will be asked to run all of them and some 13mm multipass fillet welds. I am very enthusiastic about my future as a weldor and I am soaking up all the information available to me by the Professionals training me. I thank these men after each class for the time they are putting into my future career. I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady  (3rd degree Master Mason. Doric Lodge #319 AF&AM, Moline, IL)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In regard to Very Large Fillet weld